Old 03 July 2022, 11:51   #1

Town: South West
Boat name: Emma Jane
Length: 10m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel
Ribcraft advise

Hi all,

We are considering buying a ribcraft 585 or 5.3 for use along side our main boat which will enable easy trips to the beach with other friends and family and cut out the faffing of launching the tender and the rigmarole or taking the boat out just for a few hours. Minimum of 4 seats required and while other brands would be considered I have a strong affiliation to ribcraft having owned a few ribs in my youth but with the ribcraft being the stand out of the pack.

Having looked on and off for a couple of months and with nothing that really ticks the boxes I have found a ribcraft 585 which looks like a good option however the engine is 100hp rather than the preferred 140hp.

We do not plan on skiing but as the children grow we may tow inflatables but this is not essential.

We would also want to keep the boat on a dry dock. Again, if anyone has any experience with these then any tips or pointers would be appreciated.
Old 03 July 2022, 13:53   #2

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
If you are using the RC for local trips to the beach etc 100HP may be fine

Sparky on here ran his 585 very efficiently with a Honda 90 for quite a while I seem to remember

You could always upgrade the engine at a later date - 2nd hand RCs are quite rare in the current market.

I keep my 585 on a drive on dock, with no problems.

LT
Old 03 July 2022, 14:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

Sparky on here ran his 585 very efficiently with a Honda 90 for quite a while I seem to remember

You could always upgrade the engine at a later date - 2nd hand RCs are quite rare in the current market.

LT
Thanks for letting me know. I was happy with the power until I took a cursory look on here which was an eye opener! Hopefully Sparky will be able to chip in in that case.

Do you have any details on which dock you use and any photos of it on the dock? Does it sit completely out of the water?
Old 03 July 2022, 15:50   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The 5.3 & 585 are very different beasts. If you’re just wanting a beach hopping runabout, that will just about take 4 pax then the 5.3 will do. And will be easier to handle if you intend beaching it. That said, finding one with 4 seats could be a challenge. The 585 is a proper open water vessel & will easily take 4/6 pax + gubbins. It will be much easier to find a 585 with “sensible” seating & will be more comfortable with 4 pax onboard. The 5.3 would be a tad crowded especially if you start putting cool boxes/chairs etc in the mix as well. I wouldn’t get too hung up about the engine, the 140 Suzuki is probably closer to a 125hp than a 140hp. 100hp will move the boat but not put a silly grin on your face, but neither would the 140. If you want top power, look for one with a 150hp on the back. Or buy the one with the 100hp, see how it goes & maybe re-power with a 150 later.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 July 2022, 17:03   #5

I have mnie on a Tretradock, and it does need to be fully out of the water to save anti-fouling or getting loads of growth on it. On a Tetra-dock there's an air tank at the rear to pump the dock up at the back once the boat is in it (worth getting an electic SUP pump do do that.

I went for anextra width of cubes on the open side to access the boat from both sides to get the cover on & off etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_100825.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	141028   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190409_121337.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	141029  
Old 03 July 2022, 19:39   #6

We have a Ribcraft 6.5 Pro on a versadock and the boat sits completely out of the water
Old 03 July 2022, 19:42   #7

Quote:

LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The 5.3 & 585 are very different beasts. If you’re just wanting a beach hopping runabout, that will just about take 4 pax then the 5.3 will do. And will be easier to handle if you intend beaching it. That said, finding one with 4 seats could be a challenge. The 585 is a proper open water vessel & will easily take 4/6 pax + gubbins. It will be much easier to find a 585 with “sensible” seating & will be more comfortable with 4 pax onboard. The 5.3 would be a tad crowded especially if you start putting cool boxes/chairs etc in the mix as well. I wouldn’t get too hung up about the engine, the 140 Suzuki is probably closer to a 125hp than a 140hp. 100hp will move the boat but not put a silly grin on your face, but neither would the 140. If you want top power, look for one with a 150hp on the back. Or buy the one with the 100hp, see how it goes & maybe re-power with a 150 later.
Thanks Dave. I think that answers the 5.3 vs 5.85 debate for us then. We would likely take another family out when using the boat or at least my father and his partner and having now noticed that you can find the 5.85 variant in 6 jockey seat configuration I think holding out for one of those would be the best bet. The marina wont have a space until late march so this is very much looking in anticipation and pouncing when the right boat presents itself.
Old 03 July 2022, 19:45   #8

Quote:
I have mnie on a Tretradock, and it does need to be fully out of the water to save anti-fouling or getting loads of growth on it. On a Tetra-dock there's an air tank at the rear to pump the dock up at the back once the boat is in it (worth getting an electic SUP pump do do that.

I went for anextra width of cubes on the open side to access the boat from both sides to get the cover on & off etc.
I have seen you rib when we we were last in Brixham (last summer) and admired it from the shore. Looks like a very smart set up and the set up is what gave me the idea of the dock. Once in place do you have to do anything to the dock? Presumably it is just the case of chiselling any big growth off every now and then..?
Old 03 July 2022, 19:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
We have a Ribcraft 6.5 Pro on a versadock and the boat sits completely out of the water
OK great. Did you have to use any extra support for the stern?
Old 03 July 2022, 22:19   #10

I agree fully with PD. I have ownd both RC5.3 amd RC585, the 585 is in different league, if you have option on one 2nd hand in good condition with configuration that works I'd take it. you can alwaysu upgrade the engine in future if needed.

A RC5.3 with 4 seats (2x2) is rare - I had one built, but as children grew, it
became stern heavy and not good in heavy seas 4 up - 2 up it was fine. If you may want to take more than 4 I'd sugest the 585 is what you need, although bigger / heavier.

Rgarding growths on the dock, I've found a garden hoe very effective at removing seaweed & barnicles quickly , although they don't affect the performance of the dock.
Old 04 July 2022, 08:19   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Nice 5.3 here with 3 jockeys. https://www.donedeal.ie/watersports-for-sale/ribcraft-5-3m-rigid-inflatable-boat/31564550
Old 04 July 2022, 20:51   #12

Town: South Brent
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Honda BF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnuttall84 View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I was happy with the power until I took a cursory look on here which was an eye opener! Hopefully Sparky will be able to chip in in that case.

Do you have any details on which dock you use and any photos of it on the dock? Does it sit completely out of the water?
I ran a 4st Honda 90 on my 585....wasn't eye wateringly fast but achieved 27/28knts with 2 on board...my boat is probably on the heavier side than most as my seats and console are home made out of plywood and fibreglass.

The 90 was good with 2 people on board, but bogged down a bit with 4, however once up on the plane, it was fine.

Always the option to re power....i repowered last year to a 135hp optimax with much better results. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1594203033766.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	141034
Old 04 July 2022, 21:06   #13

Thanks again for all the help to date.

I had seen the 5.3 and in fact have spoken to the owner yesterday. He tells me that the boat is a UK boat originally but doesn’t have any VAT receipt for the boat which makes it a bit of a risk. Also, I think the 5.85 is going to be what we will hold out for and with the multiple single jockey set up.

I have seen a couple of people with 6 single jockey setups which would be really ideal for us. If anyone sees one of those come up then please feel free to update this thread as we would likely pounce!

As far as engine changes are concerned, while this doesn’t put me off completely I would rather find something with the right set up from the start as I would rather an easy life than a complicated one. Our main boat has been quite troublesome in one way or another so it would be great to have the rib as turn key ready.
Old 04 July 2022, 21:56   #14

If you want 6 single jockey seats you will struggle with a Ribcraft smaller than a 6.4. It may be technically possible to cram 6 single jockeys on a 585, but I wouldn't recommend it - it will be very cramped, with a lot of aft weight. and performance will be poor.

There may be a 2 x single 2x double configuration, possible, but I suspect they will be few and far between and unlikely to come on the 2nd hand market.
Old 04 July 2022, 23:42   #15

Quote:
There may be a 2 x single 2x double configuration, possible, but I suspect they will be few and far between and unlikely to come on the 2nd hand market.
I think given that I have a few months to spare then I’ll hold out and see whether anything comes up.

Is it something that ribcraft could accommodate if we found a 585 with the forward jockey’s and a bench seat at the stern and asked them to fit 2 more jockey seats directly behind the front jokey seats?

Would prefer the above over going for a 6.4 and missing on the 585 with the idea spec. Would be happy to fit QL tabs to keep the stern a bit higher if needs be.
Old 04 July 2022, 23:47   #16

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
Quote:
If you want 6 single jockey seats you will struggle with a Ribcraft smaller than a 6.4. It may be technically possible to cram 6 single jockeys on a 585, but I wouldn't recommend it - it will be very cramped, with a lot of aft weight. and performance will be poor.

I strongly agee with this. + would mention that some 585's have the Offshore Console with the front seat which might take two small ones at a pinch.
This image is from the Ribcraft site:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEEFA631-740A-4290-8F4A-51A4C2AF065A.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	141037  
Old 04 July 2022, 23:57   #17

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnuttall84 View Post

Is it something that ribcraft could accommodate if we found a 585 with the forward jockey’s and a bench seat at the stern and asked them to fit 2 more jockey seats directly behind the front jokey seats?
I have two jockeys and a bench with the offshore console. There is no room to spare whatsoever between the jockeys and the bench or for that matter between the bench and the engine.
With the cruiser console which doesn't have the front seat there can be more room because the console can be sited further forward.
See my post here which has a photo of a six seater with the cruiser console:
https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ribcraf...tml#post847060
Old 05 July 2022, 09:57   #18

Town: Falmouth
Engine: Yam 150F
Hi,
I had a similar dilemma, wanted a 585 over a 6.8 but the option of additional seating. I purchased a 585 with 4 permanent jockey seats then had a local fabricator make a removable rear seat that I upholstered. It's quick to install/remove and attaches to the A'Frame and 3 permanent feat on the deck. The compromise was to fit the bench as far aft as possible which does give room between the aft jockeys and bench, the downside is I have to drop the backrest to fully tilt the engine. It's not that often I have more than 4 onboard so not a problem for me (engine can be fully trimmed up though with the backrest up). In terms of weight distribution, yes, it does make it stern heavy but then I've had 7 adults onboard (3 on rear bench) and the Yam 150 does get it up on the plane, hole shot compromised but hey, with 7 onboard I'm not racing and will happily cruise at over 25kts.

Name:	IMG_3794.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	141038

Name:	IMG_3793.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	141039

Name:	IMG_3788.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	141040

Name:	IMG_3746.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	141041
Old 06 July 2022, 23:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
I have two jockeys and a bench with the offshore console. There is no room to spare whatsoever between the jockeys and the bench or for that matter between the bench and the engine.
With the cruiser console which doesn't have the front seat there can be more room because the console can be sited further forward.
See my post here which has a photo of a six seater with the cruiser console:
https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/ribcraf...tml#post847060
Thank you. It looks like your set up would likely give us the best outcome if we cannot find the 6 person jockey seat set up.
Old 06 July 2022, 23:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
Hi,
I had a similar dilemma, wanted a 585 over a 6.8 but the option of additional seating. I purchased a 585 with 4 permanent jockey seats then had a local fabricator make a removable rear seat that I upholstered. It's quick to install/remove and attaches to the A'Frame and 3 permanent feat on the deck. The compromise was to fit the bench as far aft as possible which does give room between the aft jockeys and bench, the downside is I have to drop the backrest to fully tilt the engine. It's not that often I have more than 4 onboard so not a problem for me (engine can be fully trimmed up though with the backrest up). In terms of weight distribution, yes, it does make it stern heavy but then I've had 7 adults onboard (3 on rear bench) and the Yam 150 does get it up on the plane, hole shot compromised but hey, with 7 onboard I'm not racing and will happily cruise at over 25kts.

Attachment 141038

Attachment 141039

Attachment 141040

Attachment 141041
Your set up looks ideal there. The largest engine and a removable bench seat is a great idea. Where do you store it when not being used? Presumably you cover it folded in half at the stern.

Tags
rib, ribcraft