Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Ribcraft 585 - Stern heavy config?

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0A753A2-CD54-4F93-B090-966E6B4BC02B.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	139411

Following on from my thread in the wanted section, it looks like I may need to order from Yeovil.

I'm concerned with the comments that my 'ideal' config would be cramped and too stern heavy.

Coming from a 4.8 Ribcraft that I love FWIW.

Would welcome any input please.

Rib585P.pdf
Old 20 December 2021, 18:57   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Having owned a 5.85 with a double console and four jockeys for fifteen years , I concur with the guys who have already hinted to you that your proposal will be too stern heavy . Unless you and you passengers are all sylph-like , you will need max hp ( more weight ) on the transom , adding further to the problem . If you have two light-weight youngsters , you wouldn't want them sat behind you where you can't see them . I reckon the 5.85 is ideal for four for any sort of normal cruising . If you will regularly cruise any distance with six on board .......you're gonna need a bigger boat . ( IMHO )
Old 20 December 2021, 19:47   #3

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I agree with BH.

4 x single jockeys and rear bench will be very cramped, especially as you want the larger console with suicide seat up front.
There will be no room to work and I think you will be stern heavy

Have you though about the double console without suicide seat and rear double jockeys, if that's a workable configuration. you may still be a bit short on power though. For cruising any distance with 6 I wouldn't go for a RC585.

If you are serious about specing a new build I'd talk to Ribcraft and get their view on what's viable.
Old 20 December 2021, 20:58   #4

Town: Tralee
Boat name: RC 750
Engine: Suzuki 250
I’d also agree with Bern regarding rear bench. I owned his 585 La Bamba after him and WoW it was super and very well balanced with 4 jockeys and pacific double console (and just a Yamaha 100hp). I only sold it last week .
However I also have a 585 with the exact same seating and console but for some reason everything was fitted 13” further aft giving a larger foredeck and smaller aft deck.
This one has a Suzuki 140hp, which does add an extra 19kg weight to transom.
At low speeds this 585 rides quite stern down but I think this is due to the seating/console position rather than engine weight to be honest.
Only bothers me at low speed with 4up.
Perfect at speed or with 2up (38 Knots) and pretty good still with 6up, (2 on tubes forward of console 28 knots). I lined the anchor locker with 32kg of lead flashing and that helped too.
Ribcraft will advise further but if you shift console and jockeys slightly forward you may be ok with rear bench. They’ll know the right balance.
The 585 is a truly superb hull and with 140/150hp on it will be very good even with 6 up.
Hope that helps .
Old 21 December 2021, 08:07   #5

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Coastline
Thanks for the advice Gents.
Old 21 December 2021, 08:27   #6

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
If it helps, I looked at adding 4 jockeys in front of the bench on a 6m Highfield. It was do able, and they do have one set up that way, but there was so little room to move between the seats and up front I moved away from the idea.

I know it's a different craft but it was also bigger to start with, on a 5.85 you'd be so cramped up it'll hurt I feel.

The two pics below show the space available on a 6m with 2 jockeys (mine) and the lack of it on the 4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6m x4.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	139417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	139418  

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 12:40   #7

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Saw your post on FB and posted something there but if you look up Pipster on Ribnet he got a local fabricator to make up a rear bench on a 585 which meets his needs

He was thinking either 585/680 and went with 585 in the end but got the custom rear bench set up. Looked really neat solution for the days when you have some more on the boat but also could be moved out of the way to not sacrifice deck space on other times
Old 21 December 2021, 18:33   #8

Thanks Rick,

I did something similar on my 4.8 - only problem is no storage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rb.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	139421  
Old 22 December 2021, 07:58   #9

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbyrne View Post
I’d also agree with Bern regarding rear bench. I owned his 585 La Bamba after him and WoW it was super and very well balanced with 4 jockeys and pacific double console (and just a Yamaha 100hp). I only sold it last week .
However I also have a 585 with the exact same seating and console but for some reason everything was fitted 13” further aft giving a larger foredeck and smaller aft deck. This one has a Suzuki 140hp, which does add an extra 19kg weight to transom.
At low speeds this 585 rides quite stern down but I think this is due to the seating/console position rather than engine weight to be honest.
Only bothers me at low speed with 4up.
Perfect at speed or with 2up (38 Knots) and pretty good still with 6up, (2 on tubes forward of console 28 knots). I lined the anchor locker with 32kg of lead flashing and that helped too.
Ribcraft will advise further but if you shift console and jockeys slightly forward you may be ok with rear bench. They’ll know the right balance.
The 585 is a truly superb hull and with 140/150hp on it will be very good even with 6 up.
Hope that helps .
Wouldn’t fitting hydraulic trim tabs solve the trim problem
Old 22 December 2021, 12:25   #10

To my eyes this looks workable - no idea about the C of G though...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-21 at 19.44.26.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	139423  
Old 22 December 2021, 15:29   #11

Bestman ....It's your money ! Make up your mind exactly what you want do with your new rib . If it's tootling around the harbour with eight on board , just go for it ! If it's anything more than that , get a sea trial ( under appropriate conditions ) with your suggested spec. ( I imagine Ribcraft could put you in touch with an existing owner ? ) Good Luck with whichever way you choose to go
Old 22 December 2021, 16:26   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Bestman ....It's your money ! Make up your mind exactly what you want do with your new rib . If it's tootling around the harbour with eight on board , just go for it ! If it's anything more than that , get a sea trial ( under appropriate conditions ) with your suggested spec. ( I imagine Ribcraft could put you in touch with an existing owner ? ) Good Luck with whichever way you choose to go

I’m guessing the OP had already made up his mind before posting his original question. He just didn’t get the affirmation he was seeking. 🤷*♂️
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 19:33   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman View Post
To my eyes this looks workable - no idea about the C of G though...
That picture is potentially a 6.4 as its a 6.4/585 brochure. but you wont find much love for a 6.4 from the ribcraft posse on here either, Apparently its inferior to its smaller sibling [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 23 December 2021, 07:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’m guessing the OP had already made up his mind before posting his original question. He just didn’t get the affirmation he was seeking. 🤷*♂️
Probably a bit of truth in that.

Position at the moment is - I'm pretty sure I can live with the available space coming from a sometimes very cramped 4.8 - But am more concerned with the aft C of G position.

I've asked the question of Ribcraft and am awaiting a response.

On a related point they are pushing hard for the S140 whilst Ribnet seems to favour the 14kg heavier M150 - and of course all that weight is hanging off the stern.
Old 23 December 2021, 09:34   #15

Make: RC585
Engine: 140
I'm sure Ribcraft wouldn't have built Wolf Shock if it didn't meet their standards of design and performance.

Name:	0F7EA057-0A85-4F68-A49C-ACB1878A3937-min.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	139425
The console is the type (cruiser?) which doesn't have the front locker/seat which the offshore? console has, so presumably there is a weight saving there which would go some way to compensate for the additional two jockeys.
The console is sited much further forward than with the 'standard' layout (I wonder if the anchor locker has been lost?).
Overall there seems to be more weight midships and forrard rather than towards the stern.
Just my opinion fwiw.
Old 23 December 2021, 14:26   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Probably a bit of truth in that.

Position at the moment is - I'm pretty sure I can live with the available space coming from a sometimes very cramped 4.8 - But am more concerned with the aft C of G position.

I've asked the question of Ribcraft and am awaiting a response.

On a related point they are pushing hard for the S140 whilst Ribnet seems to favour the 14kg heavier M150 - and of course all that weight is hanging off the stern.

They are Suzuki main agents & get hefty discounts. Not the case with Mercury. The difference may only be 10hp on paper but the torque is significantly better with the 150. And torque is what matters, the Suzuki 140 isn’t a particularly strong engine, it’s a pumped up 90/115 & operating at the extreme of it’s capability. Probably closer to 130 than 140 in the real world.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 17:57   #17

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
We can rely on PD for saying how it is, world would be a better place if everyone was the same.
Old 28 December 2021, 23:35   #18

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Attachment 139411

Following on from my thread in the wanted section, it looks like I may need to order from Yeovil.

I'm concerned with the comments that my 'ideal' config would be cramped and too stern heavy.

Coming from a 4.8 Ribcraft that I love FWIW.

Would welcome any input please.

Attachment 139412

I have a 585 with 2 front jockey's and a rear bench, powered with a Merc 150, which is quite well balanced.

The 'free' stern area is where my fishing gear is stowed (about 60kg) and usually the catch, however, on an extremely good trip in late 2019 I had well over 400lbs of Pollock. We were out on the wrecks at 35miles, I only needed to go little over a mile on the return trip before I stopped and moved all the catch into the bow area. The 585 when 'bow high' into a head sea is a bit of a hand full ........ much like having the totally wrong engine trim, pretty easy for an experienced helm to work out.

Once the catch was moved forward, normal service was restored, and we came back at our usual 30knts.
Old 29 December 2021, 08:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
I have a 585 with 2 front jockey's and a rear bench, powered with a Merc 150, which is quite well balanced.

The 'free' stern area is where my fishing gear is stowed (about 60kg) and usually the catch, however, on an extremely good trip in late 2019 I had well over 400lbs of Pollock. We were out on the wrecks at 35miles, I only needed to go little over a mile on the return trip before I stopped and moved all the catch into the bow area. The 585 when 'bow high' into a head sea is a bit of a hand full ........ much like having the totally wrong engine trim, pretty easy for an experienced helm to work out.

Once the catch was moved forward, normal service was restored, and we came back at our usual 30knts.
What a load of Pollacks ! Somebody HAD to say it !
Old 29 December 2021, 10:17   #20

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by :Bern Hanreck View Post
What a load of Pollacks ! Somebody HAD to say it !
🤣🤣

Yep, one of the rare occasions when we hit the mother lode, I wish it would happen more often !

Tags
rib, ribcraft