Click Here to Login

Old 06 October 2020, 14:55   #21

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Thanks Jeff
I had a look at that EU site https://www.propeller-shop.com/ and a prop I am interested in is branded 'BS.Pro' which is attractive compared to an alloy Solas because of price. Do you think they have cloned the Rubex or is it worth paying the extra for Solas?
Oh-Oh, now you're opening the can of worms. Presuming a different style, (make) of prop with the same dimensions will be equivalent in revs is a mistake. If you choose your alternative pitch but also change the prop style you may be on that (expensive) slippery slope.

From your description you're at the very upper end of your present prop's suitability but you appear to only be considering hole shot and maximum speed. Drivability is a different kettle of fish and sticking with a prop close to or at minimum pitch will ensure you're boat is as responsive as possible under most conditions.

For info, the load on a propeller blade decreases the faster the boat is travelling and, therefore, for a given prop, the faster it is turning.

However, I suspect you're going to buy a new prop anyway because you want to.
Old 06 October 2020, 15:11   #22

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
However, I suspect you're going to buy a new prop anyway because you want to.
Can't speak for the OP but I need a new prop to replace a mangled one that is 14 years old, need to ensure I get the choice right because I'll have to live with it. Encouraged that Steel Developments offer an alteration service.
Old 06 October 2020, 20:28   #23

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Can't speak for the OP but I need a new prop to replace a mangled one that is 14 years old, need to ensure I get the choice right because I'll have to live with it. Encouraged that Steel Developments offer an alteration service.
Oops, I see you hijacked Bestman's thread and I didn't notice. Oh well, you both got some info.

Old 06 October 2020, 22:01   #24

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
How was this done?
Tohatsu M60C is identical to M70C engine, except the top carburetor. They have different part numbers, but only because M60C carburetor has a throttle stop which can be removed, and a little adjustment on the main advance arm is also required.

You could stick in Boyesen Power Reed Kit T33P too, but reckon you'll need a gasket kit if you disturb anything, and my engine is running sweet, so not even going there.

Key thing for me is the propeller. It's not about top speed, but hole-shot. Used to run hub kits on the 15 and 17 pitch aluminium propellers and even with the thrust washer and castle nut on and torqued up, there was a little movement. Now I'm not suggesting that effected performance, but Solas Saturn stainless propeller is a class act. Weighs a bit, so you can imagine, runs true, no movement on the 15-spline shaft and adds a touch of bling to what is a fairly agricultural set-up.