Old 08 October 2020, 14:59   #1

Town: Dhaka
Boat name: Bombard Typhoon
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 9.8 and 20
Broken Tiller handle TOHATSU MFS20E

Hello All,
First thing: I am in Bangladesh where spare parts and small OBM is not available. I have shipped a Tohatsu MFS20E from abroad and unfortunately, its tiller handle gets broken (Slap me, I should have arranged to ship with a wooden crate and not only with carton pack- stupid me).

The handle has a screw in the middle which attach it to the main body. The screw mount is broken. I will try to weld a screw there. My question: do any of you know if the material is Cast Iron or Aluminum Alloy? What kind of welding should I use? Any other advice?

I will order a spare tiller handle, but that will take some significant time for me to arrange, for the time being, I want to go to water and complete the engine breaking 10hours.

Thanks all in advance,
Fazlay

Old 08 October 2020, 15:29   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Can't help with the metal type but I'd find an engineering firm, get them to weld up the hole & build up weld where the broken piece is missing then drill & tap.
I've had similar damage repaired that way on aluminium motorcycle engine & gearbox casings.
Old 09 October 2020, 07:52   #3

Town: Dhaka
Boat name: Bombard Typhoon
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 9.8 and 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Can't help with the metal type but I'd find an engineering firm, get them to weld up the hole & build up weld where the broken piece is missing then drill & tap.
I've had similar damage repaired that way on aluminium motorcycle engine & gearbox casings.
Thanks a lot Paintman for the suggestion. now looking for a suitable shop who will be willing to fix it for me.
Old 09 October 2020, 08:59   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
From the picture I'd say that is cast aluminium which will require someone with an AC TIG welder to repair it. It's highly unlikely to be cast iron.
Old 12 October 2020, 19:20   #5

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by s21rc View Post
Hello All,
First thing: I am in Bangladesh where spare parts and small OBM is not available. I have shipped a Tohatsu MFS20E from abroad and unfortunately, its tiller handle gets broken (Slap me, I should have arranged to ship with a wooden crate and not only with carton pack- stupid me).

The handle has a screw in the middle which attach it to the main body. The screw mount is broken. I will try to weld a screw there. My question: do any of you know if the material is Cast Iron or Aluminum Alloy? What kind of welding should I use? Any other advice?

I will order a spare tiller handle, but that will take some significant time for me to arrange, for the time being, I want to go to water and complete the engine breaking 10hours.

Thanks all in advance,
Fazlay

Unfortunately it could be, and looks like, a MAIZAC ALLOY (Aluminium & Zinc), which cannot be welded ........ Maizac (also called 'pot metal') is plenty strong, but also cheap to make............