Old 02 July 2014, 20:20   #1

Town: Newcastle emlyn
Boat name: Bass nymph
Make: honwave 3.5
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp parsun 4 stroke
Parsun won't start

Before you all say it's because it's a parsun. I've had it getting on for four years now and never missed a beat until tonight when it won't start at all. Is getting good clean fuel is all well serviced. Kill switch appears fine but I'm fairly positive there is no spark on either plug. Last trip was on Sunday gone where it ran all day fine and was then flushed and ran dry of fuel. Any help would be gratefully recieved.
Old 02 July 2014, 20:31   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Check if having spark on both plugs to start with. Remove plug cap, place a thin metal rod, screwdriver and bring it close to powerhead (1 mm min distance) pull cord and check for a spark.

Could be a faulty kill cord switch or a electrical component failure such as Ignition, Coil, CD. Check all wires are non sulfated and making good electrical contact to ground. Clean, polish, sand as needed.

Happy Boating
Old 02 July 2014, 20:52   #3

Parsun

Thanks for that loco. Will try for spark again tomorrow. If there is no spark is it poss for electrical components to be fine on Sunday and then faulty next use out of the blue with no signs of problems before!
Old 02 July 2014, 21:08   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Check if possible at night to see a blue healthy spark, electrical components can let you down any time specially when working on humid environments such as seas, lakes, etc. Those Parsun are not well known for having excellent electrical components compared to long lasting Japanese, American built engines.

2 Friends who have that same exact engine, experienced Ignition Coil and Flywheeel coil failures. Were replaced for Yam parts and working ok up to date.

Happy Boating
Old 03 July 2014, 19:57   #5

Parsun

Well, arrived home to have another look at engine. Primed fuel ,pulled cord, started first pull and ran fine. Turned off and restarted several times each time fired first pull and ran perfect. Any thoughts as to why. Must admit I've now got a niggle in my mind about it doing the same thing again. Anybody else ever have this happen.
Old 03 July 2014, 20:47   #6

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I was out fishing on a pals Dory last night and his Yam 30 did the same thing, it usually starts on half a pull but wasn't for starting this time. Fished for another 10mins, tried it again and away it went.

Infact, come to think of it I've had the same thing happen on my car, my pickup and my tractor.
Old 03 July 2014, 20:53   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
It's the Apple Big Switch syndrome. The Chinese boys shut 'em down remotely at 5yrs.
Old 03 July 2014, 22:01   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Weird sh1t happens. I was dunging out the shed tonight and unearthed a POS Partner leafblower. I was given it in 2002ish. The previous owner ran it once on straight petrol until it "stopped". I retested it on 2 stroke at the time and it ran OK. I then forgot about it for 12 years....

...until today when I poured out the sticky yellow petrol and refuelled it on fresh 2 stroke mix. I primed it, applied full choke and it started on the fourth pull. I sh1t you not - you could have felled me with a feather!
Old 03 July 2014, 23:06   #9

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
faulty kill switch - stop switch i would haard a guess have had it on various engines - out boards - mowers etc
last time it happened was on my mariner 60 right in the mouth of the tamar with a tug and sub coming round the corner i tried changing fuel tanks then pulled the wires on the stop and started she did

if it happens again remove the switch wires and fix to run see if it sorts it out but find out if its a grounded or live switch first otherwise i have never heard of a good story with parson outboards