Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 28 January 2023, 16:41   #1

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner
No tell-tale and a wobbly bearing - connected?

Took the boat out for the first time since Sept today (when we were in saltwater but it was very thoroughly flushed as always).

I forgot the 60hp 4-stroke Mariner was down and bashed it on the drive as we left. Then when we got to Loch Lomond there was no water coming out of the tell-tale. Poked it as far up as I could with some thin wire but no joy - trip abandoned.

Then when I got home I noticed the play in the 'main' bearing, see video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mz8kJcRckTi9jSaH9

My impeller was replaced 18 months ago so thinking it's unlikely to be that which stopped the water, so could the wobbly bearing and the failed tell-tale be connected?

Any thoughts at all about what's wrong with either part very much welcomed.
Old 28 January 2023, 16:56   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The lower leg is broken off. The lower leg also dropped probably causing the shaft to disengage.

Needs to be taken apart and purchase replacement part(s), for which they can be used if you can find them somewhere like Ebay...doubtful though.

The cast aluminum might be able to be welded IF you can find someone knowledgeable.
Old 28 January 2023, 17:00   #3

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
No tell-tale and a wobbly bearing - connected?

David ( davie on here) Anderson Marine might have a donor motor for the parts you defo need! Google him for number. Based in Newport, Fife.
Old 28 January 2023, 18:17   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Iirc theres rubber bobbin mounts in the bottom of there, you may just have detached the mounts by striking the drive. If thats the case then its probably not a huge issue for you best bet is remove the side cowls & take a look before you panic too much about broken castings etc. I wouldnt expect the water issue to be related but it is possible. Recently changed a mid section on a 50 merc that was almost severed clean through after a bottom strike so you can do significant damage but yours looks like mounts in the vid. Getting the side cases off is relatively easy & probably the first step in diagnosing what the issue is [emoji1696]

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 28 January 2023, 21:00   #5

To my eyes it clearly looks broken as you can see the jagged edge at the break. On that note I just screwed up a brand new CV boot as I was putting my axle in Crap happens *shrugs* fix it and get back to enjoying the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 1.56.30 PM.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	142067  
Old 28 January 2023, 21:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
To my eyes it clearly looks broken as you can see the jagged edge at the break. On that note I just screwed up a brand new CV boot as I was putting my axle in Crap happens *shrugs* fix it and get back to enjoying the boat.
I think thats just grease/crud on the bottom of the swivel housing. The mounts are attached to the swivel shaft below the side cases, the water pipe cannot become detached even if that part was snapped clean off as it doesnt run up there, it runs up the mid section behind the side cowlings. Only way the water pipe can be detached is if the mid section is fractured.
Once the cowls are removed all will be revealed, its a 5 mins job to get them off

Old 01 February 2023, 15:22   #7

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
I've taken the side cowls off and nothing seems to be obviously snapped or broken. You can see the movement more clearly now in this video https://photos.app.goo.gl/qLJtBBgN2DRazJj8A - it seems to be down to the very worn rubber bushings, which you can see are cracked.

Do we think replacing them would solve the problem, or is something more serious at play?

Thanks for all the help so far, it's much appreciated.

Nick
Old 01 February 2023, 19:23   #8

Now that is an easy fix! Back to work on the no tell tale issue. Drop the lower leg and check on the water impeller, and tubing. As in remove the impeller cover and visually inspect it.
Old 01 February 2023, 20:08   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
This is indeed your lucky day Nick. It’s not worn bushings as such, the knock completely stripped the rubber compound off the alloy shaft, hence play. Get a couple of lower mounts and replace.

As mentioned, drop the lower leg to inspect. There’s a copper pick up tube that connects to the water pump, that may be dislodged or broken. If it’s broken, then it’s a head off job to access is my understanding.
Old 01 February 2023, 21:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
I've taken the side cowls off and nothing seems to be obviously snapped or broken. You can see the movement more clearly now in this video https://photos.app.goo.gl/qLJtBBgN2DRazJj8A - it seems to be down to the very worn rubber bushings, which you can see are cracked.

Do we think replacing them would solve the problem, or is something more serious at play?

Thanks for all the help so far, it's much appreciated.

Nick
Thats exactly what I thought it would be, replace them and you should be good to go. Probably worth checking the top mounts too while your in there. Obviously that doesn't solve the water issue but nowhere near as catastrophic as suggested. If the impeller was recent then an airline down the telltail can sometimes dislodge salt blockages, plenty of threads on here re cooling system fault finding glad it wasn't terminal for you[emoji106]

Old 01 February 2023, 21:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Thats exactly what I thought it would be, replace them and you should be good to go. Probably worth checking the top mounts too while your in there. Obviously that doesn't solve the water issue but nowhere near as catastrophic as suggested.
Since you always like to get a dig in I will oblige. You were right and I was wrong
Old 02 February 2023, 03:13   #12

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
This is an easy fix on any outboard bar this model. Unless things have changed you cannot buy these bushes and it’s a complete swivel tube for going on £500!