Old 26 October 2017, 19:00   #1

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
My Yamaha 30AM 689 S

I picked up a replacement engine for my inflatable a little while ago. While it was a bit tatty on the outside I confident that mechanically it's been really well looked after. It's been fitted with a stainless prop and I've seen it running and all seems well (less than 5 hours since it had a full service).

From the pic below, can anyone tell me what year it is please? Am I correct in assuming it's from 1980?

I believe that it's been used commercially and I think it might have once been an RNLI unit in it's early years, well I'd like to think so anyway.

I'm in the process of sprucing it up to get it looking presentable again in time for next season!

Anyone any comments about these? - I'm lead to believe that they're really great bits of kit.

Hoping to repaint it in it's original (marine blue?) and find some period correct decals for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	1409
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	122489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	122490  
Old 26 October 2017, 19:52   #2

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
There’s a little letter stamped in the lower part of the serial number plate, it’s hard to see, but that will tell you the year.

It’s later than 1980, as it has the later bracket with provision for shallow water tilt kit, which came out in 83/84. (Shallow water kit is well worth getting but very pricy new now, best off trying to locate one on a scrap 20/25/30, but they are scarce as they were an optional extra on most years)

It won’t be ex RNLI as they only used mariners of that age.
Also telltale that an engine has been RNLI is holes in side of lower tray to mount post immersion carb drain tap(s).

Great engine. Much prefer it to the later 3cyl 30. Only real weak point is where cylinder liners are pressed into block, lower cylinder has a thinner point to allow for head bolt and cooling waterways which tends to crack on older ones and corrosion can cause the lower cylinder to ovalise.
Old 27 October 2017, 07:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
There’s a little letter stamped in the lower part of the serial number plate, it’s hard to see, but that will tell you the year.

It’s later than 1980, as it has the later bracket with provision for shallow water tilt kit, which came out in 83/84. (Shallow water kit is well worth getting but very pricy new now, best off trying to locate one on a scrap 20/25/30, but they are scarce as they were an optional extra on most years)

It won’t be ex RNLI as they only used mariners of that age.
Also telltale that an engine has been RNLI is holes in side of lower tray to mount post immersion carb drain tap(s).

Great engine. Much prefer it to the later 3cyl 30. Only real weak point is where cylinder liners are pressed into block, lower cylinder has a thinner point to allow for head bolt and cooling waterways which tends to crack on older ones and corrosion can cause the lower cylinder to ovalise.
Thanks Phantom, all useful info.

I was thinking that the S stamped on the VIN plate referred to 1980 but I guess that must refer to short shaft instead. I'll try and have another look and see if I can see the year code letter.

Getting it rubbed down, primed and painted is my little project for this winter but I have to say I can't wait to see it on the boat and being used in anger. I might update this thread with some progress pics in case anyone is interested.
Old 27 October 2017, 09:06   #4

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
That engine is 1984
Old 08 November 2017, 20:39   #5

Have been taking my time and doing a bit of work on the motor over the last few weeks.

Lots of rubbing down, etch priming, wet sanding, filling, more wet sanding and priming. It's slowly getting there.

I'm hoping to shoot some colour on it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	122652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	122653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0529.jpg
Views:	370