Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 18 March 2024, 19:18   #1

Town: Brighton
Honda BF50a electric choke issues

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen.

Apologies if this is something that has been covered in a previous thread; I’m relatively new here.

Got a 1998 Honda BF50a on my Ribtec 455, runs like a Swiss watch, purrs like a content cat.
However; I appear to have an electrical issue on the remote control where when I lift the fast idle leaver to top, it is not activating the solenoid on the choke system. Having done some preliminary checks, I only have 0.5volts across the wires that supply power to the solenoid. Side note, I have checked the solenoid with a 12v supply and it snaps shut instantly.

So what I’m trying to establish, is this a common problem, and does anyone have any advise on fixing this fault.
I appreciate it has the manual leaver on the engine; but it’s nice when everything works as it should. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Old 21 March 2024, 20:11   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I had a couple of Honda 90s and seem to remember changing the solenoids,check the linkages are all free as well and the butterfly’s
Old 22 March 2024, 11:54   #3

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
The fact that you're seeing voltage there and that the solenoid works when jumped directly suggests it's a wiring/connection problem to the remote. 9 times out of 10 that'll happen at the junctions themselves so I'd inspect them for any corrosion, bent pins, poor grounds etc.

What controller model do you have? Do you have power tilt or anything like that? Is the choke the only electrical issue?
Old 22 March 2024, 16:19   #4

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
My solenoids still worked but didn’t seem to have the power plus the plunger gets stiff as well
Old 23 March 2024, 17:42   #5

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
The fact that you're seeing voltage there and that the solenoid works when jumped directly suggests it's a wiring/connection problem to the remote. 9 times out of 10 that'll happen at the junctions themselves so I'd inspect them for any corrosion, bent pins, poor grounds etc.

What controller model do you have? Do you have power tilt or anything like that? Is the choke the only electrical issue?
Yes controller has the power tilt. I’ve checked all the junctions on the loom and they seem to be in good shape. I tested for the power at the first junction out of the controller; so I’m guessing that it’s going to be the micro switch inside the controller.