Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 19 September 2020, 14:40   #1

Town: London
Boat name: 154
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15c 1980
which johnson 5 - 6 hp carb kit to buy and where from???

Hello everyone.
I am hoping to draw on your knowledge and experience to help with my current fix.

I’ve bought a nice Johnson 5 hp. Plated - Illinois, USA 1996 - Model No - BJ5DRLEUC (I understand what each letter stands for apart from the C at the end) Serial No - 04197615.

I need to buy a good quality suitable replacement carb kit for it. (ive read the cheap ones on the internet from the far east are of poor quality and break).
So I need a good brand and any help finding one here in the UK or Europe where I live, If not, then from the US somewhere. Preferably I don’t want to spend lots of money on delivery for such a small, light item.

Carb kit part number 0431897

I have read that in order to up-rate this carb from a 5 to a 6 hp, you only simply need to change the main jet and nothing else.

Is this the case??

And are there new jets included in the kit? Can you specify the size needed?

If so, are these jets parts called ‘high speed orifice No .38 6R/6SL’ ?? part number 0323149 which is listed on the part diagram.

If I buy the carb kit for the 6hp, are all the gaskets etc the same as the 5 hp and only the one jet is different.?

To add to my confusion, the kits I have seen online run up to 1996 then start again from 1997 onward.

Even thou my model plate says BJ5DRLEUC 1996. On the reference model number chart, a 1996 is BJ5DRLEDS and the BJ5DRLEUC is a 1997.

Is it simply that mine was a model made later in the year and so badged into the next year?

Im also in need of a new impeller from the same supplier.

Many thanks to all in advance with this.

dai
Old 19 September 2020, 20:47   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Your local Evinrude parts supplier could probably help, as the Johnson parts on those small engines are most often shared with Evinrude.

I've got a similar aged 5hp Johnson (a Belgium-made one though, currently on one of the boats so I don't have the serial number to hand, but can check tomorrow), and Wills Marine in Devon supplied most of the parts for it's rebuild at a good price a number of year ago. I forget where the carb kit came for that engine as I don't think that particular bit was Wills Marine, I'll have a search and see if I can find any details - I suspect it was one of the usual UK suppliers on Ebay (definitely not knowingly from China). Most of my recent small outboard gaskets have come from SSI Marine, and seem to be Mexican manufactured, "RecMar" I think was the brand label. I haven't yet had any issues with them, and have various of their gaskets now in a Johnson 5hp, Johnson 9.9hp (a complete set, as the whole powerhead came off earlier this year to clean out the water passages) and Mariner 30hp.

Wherever the 5hp carb kit was from, it was fitted probably 10 years ago now, and still works perfectly! I just put one of the SSI Marine "RecMar" carb kits into my Johnson 9.9hp today, and will hopefully take it for a test tomorrow.
Old 20 September 2020, 12:13   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Try Mike Vincent at South Coast Marine in Christchurch. He probably has the largest stock of obsolete OMC/BRP parts in the country.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:38   #4

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
If your hull takes it why not upgrade it to an 8?
Old 21 September 2020, 20:46   #5

Davie that would be ideal and a bonus to simply uprate to an 8 hp by switching the jet(s)
but I have read that the 8 hp set up has larger exhaust ports, intake manifold pothole and bigger reed valve openings and timing set up differences.

( I might be confusing some of these differences with a Mercury 7.5 I own and looked into upgrading it.

Please please tell me I am wrong and I only need to switch the main jet or so.
Old 22 September 2020, 16:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
If your hull takes it why not upgrade it to an 8?
Yes I would love that. Does anyone know if this is a simple job on just the carb?
I Know the powerhead block and lots of other componants share the same 5 - 8 hp rated bracket.
Old 19 March 2024, 20:35   #7

Town: Camberley
Length: 5m +
Comparison of parts between derated 5hp, 6hp and 8hp. See attached table.

Easy uprate the 5hp to 6hp by changing the carb jet from

5hp - 320015 (No.33)
6hp - 323149 (No.38)

The 8hp has other parts difference including the manifold although it may be possible to modify a 6hp manifold by increasing the throat size and changing the jet and jet well;-
8hp - 323708 (No.50)

https://shop.chastheboat.co.uk/produ...149-s23-bin-70
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PArts comparison.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	144663