Old 19 March 2019, 17:44   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post
Got my money back dealer great about it and now bought a Suzuki 15hp efi outboard form another great lake district dealer
Thats exactly what I expected he might do hes probably as happy as you are
Old 19 March 2019, 17:45   #22

Length: 5m +
Just out of interest, why the switch to Suzuki? I guess the Suzuki should be a bit lighter.
Old 19 March 2019, 19:23   #23

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Reason why Suzuki, listened to advice from experienced guys. Lighter and new design as EFI.

beamishken - what's your meaning ! Suspect your stating things you know nothing about. I managed this so I can work well with both thinking before I act and ensuring all are happy.. maybe u should do a bit of that.
Old 19 March 2019, 19:55   #24

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Is the 15hp a detuned 20hp? Same weight?
Old 19 March 2019, 20:10   #25

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Yes the plastic handle. Mrs got involved lawyer and written to the local dealer who supplied and wants new engine.
Says it's not fit for purpose and says under sales goods act wants a new one.
Ps tried to keep her out as always tougher than me
If you're going to demand things by quoting law then at least quote the right one!
SOGA 1979 was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which came into force on the 1st October 2015.
Goods purchased prior to that date are covered by the SOGA.
As you are a private purchaser 'a consumer' & your purchase was this year your rights are CRA.
Still, probably gave the seller a laugh
Old 19 March 2019, 21:04   #26

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Engine: 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
If you're going to demand things by quoting law then at least quote the right one!
SOGA 1979 was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which came into force on the 1st October 2015.
As you are a private purchaser 'a consumer' & your purchase was this year your rights are CRA.
You lot are so friendly and accepting. I think you will find my mrs knows far more than a little pleb like u. ,( so don't preach ) runs her own firm.
So no we did not give seller laugh .

Fed up with this forum a load of idiots trying to score points .
Are some exceptions. Thx haggis for all your help ..

Just fed up of the idiots on here ... Good bye
Old 19 March 2019, 21:16   #27

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Is the 15hp a detuned 20hp? Same weight?
Yes but in another thread the valid point was made that the torque figures will be about the same, I think the lower rev limit reduces the peak power so probably not much difference in the power until then.

I got talking to a guy in Salcombe who was boasting he'd had his remapped to remove the restriction, I don't know how common this is but it could be a possibility when out of warranty. Personally I went for the Suzuki 20hp from the outset, I think I'd go for the Tohatsu now because of the 7 year warranty.
Old 19 March 2019, 21:31   #28

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Shame I was really looking forward to pictures you will be missed. Hope you change your mind.
Old 19 March 2019, 21:36   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Good bye
Old 19 March 2019, 22:03   #30

I bet the Honda dealer was happy to dodge that bullet!
I'd imagine the profit off a 15hp engine just wasnt worth the agro of a customer like Mr & Mrs Cumbria.
At least theres a choice of 2 Suzuki dealers for when he pisses off the first one[emoji853]
Obviously doesnt appreciate the level of experience here on the forum
Old 20 March 2019, 08:54   #31

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Thats exactly what I expected he might do hes probably as happy as you are
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Good bye
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I bet the Honda dealer was happy to dodge that bullet!
I'd imagine the profit off a 15hp engine just wasnt worth the agro of a customer like Mr & Mrs Cumbria.
At least theres a choice of 2 Suzuki dealers for when he pisses off the first one[emoji853]
Obviously doesnt appreciate the level of experience here on the forum
WOW
What is happening to this forum
Chap purchased an outboard and once home found it was damaged - hardly his fault or am I missing something???

' doesnt appreciate the level of experience here', like all aspects of life( inc this forum), some individuals 'experience' isn't worth the keystrokes they make, you've just got to work out who's full of BS and who's not

IMHO
Old 20 March 2019, 09:48   #32

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Fender ( Hiya ! ) , have a cup of coffee and then go back and re-read the whole thread ! The OP started very reasonably asking for advice ( which clearly he was never going to accept unless it agreed with Mrs OP ) . By post 23 he was throwing insults out to folk he didn't know . Again in post 26 . It was he who threw a hissy fit ( and toys out of the pram ). Common courtesy does work both ways doesn't it ? Regards Bern.
Old 20 March 2019, 09:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
WOW
What is happening to this forum
Chap purchased an outboard and once home found it was damaged - hardly his fault or am I missing something???

' doesnt appreciate the level of experience here', like all aspects of life( inc this forum), some individuals 'experience' isn't worth the keystrokes they make, you've just got to work out who's full of BS and who's not

IMHO
Think you'll find that sending a solicitors letter demanding a new engine for a cracked handle would be considered heavy handed by most on the forum.
Its not like you'd expect a new car for a flat tyre!
whilst the broken handle wasn't his fault, I doubt it was the dealers either, it may have been faulty from new, it should have been picked up on pdi but maybe wasnt noticed or perhaps got worse by several lifts during collection, who knows? Its how you deal with the problem that counts.
Most forum members would also agree falling out with your outboard dealer from the get go is pretty unwise given the scarcity of dealers around especially in the north.
His attitude to replies on here was imho indicative of someone you would just rather not have in your shop.
Old 20 March 2019, 10:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Fender ( Hiya ! ) , have a cup of coffee and then go back and re-read the whole thread ! The OP started very reasonably asking for advice ( which clearly he was never going to accept unless it agreed with Mrs OP ) . By post 23 he was throwing insults out to folk he didn't know . Again in post 26 . It was he who threw a hissy fit ( and toys out of the pram ). Common courtesy does work both ways doesn't it ? Regards Bern.
Morning
Personally, in some of the reply's to the OP's original post there's a undertone of sarcasm and having a little 'dig' - and then things go down hill, maybe its just the way the it reads to me - but again IMHO its not the most constructive thread I've ever read, I do feel a little sorry for the way Cumbria has been treated. Ain't we a funny bunch
Old 20 March 2019, 10:34   #35

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
In these days of false bonhomie & insincere caring (aww! inboxed you hun[emoji849]) I find Ribnet an oasis of frank, blunt honest exchanges. It’s not to everybody’s taste or sensibilities, but there’re other (safe) places for those folk to go & play. As long as it stays civil, I can’t see a problem tbh imo etc.
even douchebags are tolerated
The moral of the story; if you don’t want the answer, don’t ask the question.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:00   #36

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>blunt honest exchanges.

Despite having a much softer personal posting style I have no problem with this and when now and again it does go to excess... usually not in the SIB section... then the content soon goes to the bilges.

Looked at carefully Cumbria lit the touch paper in his post #18 when he took Willk and 69cmw's previous totally acceptable posts far too seriously and set himself up for a bit of ribbing(!).

I hope Cumbria appreciates the excellent friendly advice he got here re his new SIB choice from about 10 posters with many decades of experience at sea between them... but at least he can now fully commit to an alternative forum that probably suits him better so win win.

It's win win again for him in respect of the engine too... that he managed to end up swapping the Honda he found really heavy for a lighter cheaper OB just because of an easily replaced plastic part. Don't get that lucky very often.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:16   #37

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>... that he managed to end up swapping the Honda he found really heavy for a lighter cheaper OB just because of an easily replaced plastic part. Don't get that lucky very often.

Aye very serendipitous that mysterious broken handle,funny how things all work out in the end[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:28   #38

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
very lucky outcome on the engine swap though, as for the rest he'll get use to it a bit of banter and pi$$ take never hurt anyone.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
In these days of false bonhomie & insincere caring (aww! inboxed you hun[emoji849]) I find Ribnet an oasis of frank, blunt honest exchanges. It’s not to everybody’s taste or sensibilities, but there’re other (safe) places for those folk to go & play. As long as it stays civil, I can’t see a problem tbh imo etc.
even douchebags are tolerated
The moral of the story; if you don’t want the answer, don’t ask the question.
I can't speak for anyone else nor disagree with anyone's prerogative to interpret a post/intent how ever they see fit - however whatever I say, type or pen I believe in, 100%, every time - my time is too precious to me to waste on otherwise.
I STILL feel the tread could have gone in a more positive way, the OP didn't expect the thread to go in the direction it did when first posing the question, maybe he could have worded his posts better - but then so could some of the responses, not quite a 'RIB community' in this instance
Old 20 March 2019, 11:48   #40

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Well I've spoken to Cumbria and he's a nice fellow people have to remember that people's personality's are different I would have been the exact same if it's where my engine if you where to meet me for first time you would think OMG because I am hipper active but would bend over backwards to help anyone so I think we should give him a bit of slack