Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 November 2011, 15:53   #1
Member
 
S.Nicholson's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Aarhus
Boat name: Mjølner
Make: Sportis
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 V8 Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Experience on Evinrude 250 Hp

We in Aarhus RIB Safaris, are planning to buy a new boat and have recived an offer on too 2012 model Evinrude V6 250 Hp engines. We have no experience with Evinrude engines, only Yamaha. So if there is anybody that can sheer there experience on this topic, then it will be of great help to us. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
S.Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2011, 17:00   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,780
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Nicholson View Post
We in Aarhus RIB Safaris, are planning to buy a new boat and have recived an offer on too 2012 model Evinrude V6 250 Hp engines. We have no experience with Evinrude engines, only Yamaha. So if there is anybody that can sheer there experience on this topic, then it will be of great help to us. Thanks!
Hi & welcome, this would be a good place to start. I don't have any experience of the 250, but I wouldn't swap my 115's for any other make.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 04:58   #3
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,878
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Hi & welcome, this would be a good place to start. I don't have any experience of the 250, but I wouldn't swap my 115's for any other make.
Goodness! That's some Forum dedicated to just E-Tec's! Dave!
Could be realy usefull,if you can wade throught it.
Are you pleased with the twin's on your 6.8?.. Whole set up certainly Looks Top Drawer!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 06:47   #4
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,780
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Goodness! That's some Forum dedicated to just E-Tec's! Dave!
Could be realy usefull,if you can wade throught it.
Are you pleased with the twin's on your 6.8?.. Whole set up certainly Looks Top Drawer!
It's a good forum with plenty of info & some very knowledgeable folk. There're also some w4nk3rs on there, but you get that everywhere
I'm happy with my boat, saying that, there's always things that you could alter. It's a 6.4 btw
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 07:55   #5
Member
 
Jorgos's Avatar
 
Country: Greece
Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 157
RIBase
I have on my boat a etec 250.
is very nice motor, beautifull sound , lots of power.
Oil consumption is realy very little that is unoticable on a ride of 50-60 miles.
__________________
Jorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 14:54   #6
Member
 
MarkM's Avatar
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 368
Hi,
I've an Evinrude 250 for 6 years now and I am very pleased with it. It's not an E-tec but a DI just before the big E-tec's started to come out on the market.
Acceleration is enormous, fuel consumption very reasonable, top speed pretty good. No trouble what so ever up to now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Verbruik-20110313.png
Views:	152
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	64002  
__________________
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 15:21   #7
Member
 
S.Nicholson's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Aarhus
Boat name: Mjølner
Make: Sportis
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 V8 Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
First of all, thanks for the quick replies, links and the warm welcome to rib.net.

Being a traditional 4 stroke engine supporter, it is a change to consider an 2 stroke engine setup, but there is clear benefits in a more simple engine construction I have been told. Less weight, easy winter conservation, less maintains expenses and I am surprised that it uses so small amount of oil as Jorgos said.

The cost of Evinrude here in Denmark is also a plus, so if it is a reliable engine suited for commercial use, then it is a strong choice.

Thanks again for your experience and opinion on this subject – keep it coming :-)
__________________
S.Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 16:55   #8
Member
 
Jorgos's Avatar
 
Country: Greece
Town: Pireus
Boat name: Joanna
Make: marin stiletto 737
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 250
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 157
RIBase
Clean fuel is very important.
Is not realy simple as 2 stroke.... I would say the oposite.
First service at 300 hours or 3 years
__________________
Jorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 17:04   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Nicholson View Post
so if it is a reliable engine suited for commercial use, then it is a strong choice.
For commercial use then these guys can provide you with some feedback...

QuinQuari : Quinquari Marine

They have been fitting Evinrude to commercial Ribs for more years that most.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 15:20   #10
Member
 
S.Nicholson's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Aarhus
Boat name: Mjølner
Make: Sportis
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 V8 Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks Chris for the suggestion to contact Quinquari Marine, I will do it first thing tomorrow. By the way, nice website they have.

After using some time searching the net for Evinrude information, it seams that the torque is greater on Evinrude than 4 stroke engines with same Hp. I fell over a Youtube video that certainly gave that impression:

__________________
S.Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 15:28   #11
Member
 
MarkM's Avatar
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Nicholson View Post
........it seams that the torque is greater on Evinrude than 4 stroke engines with same Hp......
As I told you before, all Evinrudes have an enormous torque. More than any other make.
__________________
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 16:25   #12
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,780
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
As I told you before, all Evinrudes have an enormous torque. More than any other make.
Torque is king Nothing gives that kick in the pants like a 2 stroke
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 03:07   #13
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,878
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Nicholson View Post
Thanks Chris for the suggestion to contact Quinquari Marine, I will do it first thing tomorrow. By the way, nice website they have.

After using some time searching the net for Evinrude information, it seams that the torque is greater on Evinrude than 4 stroke engines with same Hp. I fell over a Youtube video that certainly gave that impression:

Well,..If you ''Torque Torque the Torque''..
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 03:17   #14
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Of course they could be propped differently or have different gear ratios that might account for the Etec winning.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 04:04   #15
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,878
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Of course they could be propped differently or have different gear ratios that might account for the Etec winning.
Of course,and a load of other things.. but good fun all the same.
Reminds me of a Chrysler dealer in Dallas being completely out sold By a Nissan dealer next door,he put up a HUGE sign with an arrow ''From the Guys that gave you PEARL HARBOUR!''.. Made me smile.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 04:16   #16
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Of course,and a load of other things.. but good fun all the same.
Reminds me of a Chrysler dealer in Dallas being completely out sold By a Nissan dealer next door,he put up a HUGE sign with an arrow ''From the Guys that gave you PEARL HARBOUR!''.. Made me smile.
Can you imagine the outrage if something similar went up next to a BMW or Mercedes dealer here

Oh yeh, I forgot! Britain doesn't have a car industry
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 15:06   #17
Member
 
S.Nicholson's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Aarhus
Boat name: Mjølner
Make: Sportis
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 V8 Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Don’t mention the war ☺
__________________
S.Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 15:45   #18
Member
 
S.Nicholson's Avatar
 
Country: Denmark
Town: Aarhus
Boat name: Mjølner
Make: Sportis
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350 V8 Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Just have another question to all you good people out there.

If a 300Hp model is within budget, is there a full saving prospective of running a bigger engine with less RPM, then a 250Hp model?

Less RPM balancing out bigger engine and possible fuel consumption (300Hp =3441cc – 250Hp =3279cc)!?
__________________
S.Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2011, 04:49   #19
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,780
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Nicholson View Post
Just have another question to all you good people out there.

If a 300Hp model is within budget, is there a full saving prospective of running a bigger engine with less RPM, then a 250Hp model?

Less RPM balancing out bigger engine and possible fuel consumption (300Hp =3441cc – 250Hp =3279cc)!?
I've always been a big believer in running a big engine at mid range rather than flogging a small engine. Etecs run most economically between 3700&4500 rpm. I would rather run a 300 @ 3800 than a 250 @ 4500. You will use less fuel, it will be quieter (the Etec is quiet to start with) & there will be less stress on the engine & gearbox.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2011, 10:57   #20
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 735
I have a Evinrude 150 H.O (2006) and i like it very much.

A important question is what boat are you planning to have the engine on? Maybe a 250 H.O can be a good choice.

If you compare weight with the 4-strokes you save weight as well. So a 250 Evinrude can be as a 300 fourstroke on your boat?
__________________

__________________
joakimhansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.