Old 09 September 2003, 11:26   #1

Evinrude Etec vs 4 Stroke ???

Just wondered what you engine techie's think about the new Evinrude Etec engines vs 4 stroke ?

They certainly look good, and if they perform as well as I'm led to believe & they are reliable, then they must be high on the list of anyone buying a new engine/package.

As I understand it, they are initially only available in 40,50,60,75 & 90hp, with whole range available in/by 2005 - check out website http://www.evinrude.com

Interested to hear your opinions !

All the best,
Old 09 September 2003, 11:29   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
!

My pall has an Evinrude 60 2 stroke brand new and has it back to the dealer every weekend !!
Old 09 September 2003, 18:00   #3

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
do a search on ficht this came up about a year ago with the ficht 225 ect. Their are loads of threads on wether to go for a 4 stroke or a new 2 stroke. Their are loads of peoples oppinions on the differences.
Old 09 September 2003, 19:33   #4

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Etec

Re 60 have you any more info as to what has this Evinrude 60 back to the dealer each week, minor problems or real problems, I know some of the bigger 225 Fichts the early ones had problems, but never heard of a 60 stroker being a bad motor, as you know we run 2 ficht ram 75 amazing motors 360 hrs I think, and have been problem free. Before we bought the rig we got the diagonistics done and again no recorded electronic problems.My understanding of Etec is a more streamlined and efficient version of Ficht lower emmisions etc.I can tell you of the pair of Fichts 75 hp 1.25l per nm when you average flat outs with slower speeds on an average run, extremely low emissions approx 1.70 ratio of injection two stroke, and this is running two motors.I have had Evinrudes, Mercurys, Yamahas and Fichts the Fichts win hands down with smoke, oil use and petrol use bring on the ETECS

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2003, 08:00   #5

Hi Guys,

I concur with Gavin's comments that the Etec system is meant to be the next generation on from Ficht, and that they are supposed to be more efficient, quieter, have lower emissions, require less maintenance, are lighter than 4 stroke etc...

My only concern is that they are new to the market compared with 4 stroke, so I would be buying blind so to speak.

Surely Bombardier will have got this right before bringing to the market after early Ficht problems ??

Anyone know of any USA test reports on the web ??