Old 15 October 2022, 19:57   #1

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Evinrude 150 HO

Hi all ,living a little off the more established boating areas in suffolk ,sometimes things can be a little slow reaching our shores ! hence my appeal for your thoughts please ?
I have seen a rib i rather like which has the above 2015 engine which i am told is a great match for the hull
My request for help are peoples opinion re the current Evinrude status re service /spares etc and secondly is the above model engine known to be a good one or maybe not !
i dont mind experimenting outside the box but i dont want to end up holding an expensive mistake
thanks
Old 16 October 2022, 06:59   #2

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
One of the engines I’d love to try. Unfortunately their lack of expertise in Scotland had me nervous.
Old 16 October 2022, 07:10   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
And they don’t make Evinrudes anymore….

I know one guy that had a pair of them and he spent more money fixing them than he did buying them, other people have no issues, YMMW.
Old 16 October 2022, 07:30   #4

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
My thoughts for what they are worth!

After having quite a few hassles to determine a very intermittent swithbox and then stator fault with a bog standard yam 115 2s, I would be very reluctant to buy anything from a manufacturer that had ceased production of outboards. I know others may have different views particularly if they have had them with no issues.

And incidentally early this year had a dive from a dive centre RIB which had a 250 e tech on that had a very definite odd knocking, it certainly wasn’t new and I think was a good 5 or 6 years old. The owners told me that if had experienced a number of issues and taken loads of time and cash to sort out!

Just my two penny worth.

Dave
Old 16 October 2022, 09:41   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Worked on a few recently, they go well but I wouldn't have one on my boat, not a great engine imho there getting cheaper for a reason

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 16 October 2022, 11:40   #6

M,mm alot of respected wisdom in those four posts ,thankyou ,"maybe i should walk!"
Think the Gemini would work well for me as well respected handling (i Think) and only 2.4m beam which fits thru my storage , and i dont need many seats these days ,i suppose worst case scenario would be total failure ,leaving 10k for a good used 150 ,maybe its a price negotiation thats required as i am still a little tempted !
https://morganmarine.com/boat/gemini...der-650-10627/
Old 16 October 2022, 12:02   #7

Town: Lincoln
Boat name: Zoom
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 10
Is there any warranty left of the engine ?
Some of them were sold with 10 warranty not sure how it stands now, might be worth a call to a service dealer
Old 16 October 2022, 12:36   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
M,mm alot of respected wisdom in those four posts ,thankyou ,"maybe i should walk!"

Think the Gemini would work well for me as well respected handling (i Think) and only 2.4m beam which fits thru my storage , and i dont need many seats these days ,i suppose worst case scenario would be total failure ,leaving 10k for a good used 150 ,maybe its a price negotiation thats required as i am still a little tempted !

If you take the attitude that the first expensive repair required is time to sell it for spares or repair & replace it then your going into it with eyes wide open. Hopefully money saved in the negotiations process will help to fund a new engine.
You never know you may find it goes well for years but my thoughts would be first sign of trouble is time to get shot, repairs can run into £1k's very quickly & seem to domino one after another.
They do sound & go well. when there running!

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 16 October 2022, 18:30   #9

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
Orwell Boy, you have seen me use my 90 Etec 2013 on the SR 5.4 from Levington this year, it isn't the HO though. Genuine parts will be available until 2030, then the demand will didcate what happens after that. As far as I know they are meant to be virtually bomb proof for leisure users. Linconshire Marine keeps stock service parts & helpful free advice.
Ask for a engine print out as that may help with your decison.
Old 16 October 2022, 20:22   #10

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
In theory and on paper they are great engines but I know of so many people this way that struggle to get issues resolved over the years.

Personally the local dealers struggle to service Honda so it’s a no from me….
Old 17 October 2022, 07:17   #11

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
The HO thing made me think a lot whilst I was looking for a replacement engine to go on my RIB.

I changed my mind a lot whilst looking at used engines for sale and eventually decided that for used engines with medium to high hours, High Output wasn't a good idea.

I really wanted a used 200ETEC, but all that were available were 200HOs with @2000hrs.

A lot will disagree with this, but my thoughts are:

The HO engines sound good in theory, take the smaller block etc and tune it electronically or otherwise to give more power or torque than what's stated on the hood.

Being a daft old fashioned engineer that tells me the motor will be a little more stressed than the standard output engine of the same capacity, which is OK when the engine is new, or has lower hours on it, but the reliability, efficiency etc will suffer more on a HO engine than a Std Output one.

Again, all OK for the new purchaser, but not for those of us who buy used engines with some hours on them.

I feel the same about the recent engines where 200HP is being wrung from 2.0l and 4 cylinders rather than 3.0l V6s. Great when new, but they'll be buggered earlier in their life.
Old 17 October 2022, 10:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
The HO thing made me think a lot whilst I was looking for a replacement engine to go on my RIB.

I changed my mind a lot whilst looking at used engines for sale and eventually decided that for used engines with medium to high hours, High Output wasn't a good idea.

I really wanted a used 200ETEC, but all that were available were 200HOs with @2000hrs.

A lot will disagree with this, but my thoughts are:

The HO engines sound good in theory, take the smaller block etc and tune it electronically or otherwise to give more power or torque than what's stated on the hood.

Being a daft old fashioned engineer that tells me the motor will be a little more stressed than the standard output engine of the same capacity, which is OK when the engine is new, or has lower hours on it, but the reliability, efficiency etc will suffer more on a HO engine than a Std Output one.

Again, all OK for the new purchaser, but not for those of us who buy used engines with some hours on them.

I feel the same about the recent engines where 200HP is being wrung from 2.0l and 4 cylinders rather than 3.0l V6s. Great when new, but they'll be buggered earlier in their life.
Thanks N ,i tend to agree with what you say ,however i thought the HO version was the V6 ? ...........now i,m confused
Old 17 October 2022, 10:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Rider View Post
Orwell Boy, you have seen me use my 90 Etec 2013 on the SR 5.4 from Levington this year, it isn't the HO though. Genuine parts will be available until 2030, then the demand will didcate what happens after that. As far as I know they are meant to be virtually bomb proof for leisure users. Linconshire Marine keeps stock service parts & helpful free advice.
Ask for a engine print out as that may help with your decison.
Yes i have ,and i am encouraged by your notes re spares till 2030 and especially the pointer re lincolnshire marine
Old 17 October 2022, 10:25   #14

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
I was in a similar predicament when looking to re-engine my Humber destroyer and found a 150 ETEC which looked good & low hours. I had the same thoughts regarding reputation and spares availability. I went for the ETEC knowing there was a very experienced Evinrude tech local to me. I can't comment specifically on the HO but can pass on some hopefully useful info.
* Run, or get sight of an engine history report out of the ECU before you commit to buying.
* According to my local tech if you rely solely on the in-built self-winterising feature, as it simply injects extra oil before shutting down, it doesn't protect the injectors, which can then be prone to seizing over winter (£600 each to replace). Recommendation is to half-fill the fuel-filter with fogging oil before running the winterisation program.
* Parts availability in the UK is not great. I have ordered any OEM parts from Crowley Marine in Colorado who hold good stock, ship next day to UK and are cheaper than UK dealer prices even considering import duty (at least before Mrs Truss came to power)

And for the record, the 150 goes like the proverbial off a shovel......[emoji16]
Old 17 October 2022, 11:51   #15

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Boat looks the business. If you’re tempted, just negotiate hard on the price with a view to repower in the future. What’s the hours on the engine?

I take these ETECs can be hooked up to a laptop for diagnostics with the right software and lead?
Old 17 October 2022, 11:54   #16

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Boat looks the business. If you’re tempted, just negotiate hard on the price with a view to repower in the future. What’s the hours on the engine?

I take these ETECs can be hooked up to a laptop for diagnostics with the right software and lead?
Yes mine plugs in all ok
Old 17 October 2022, 21:54   #17

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Having the software is usually a necessity of a BRP product! I wouldn’t but if the price is right and it runs for a while (how many hours are you expecting to do a season? Then keeping an eye out for a replacement deal in the shorter term might be advisable. The next few years might be transformative for the industry but may not be…..

There is a current shortage of motors in a couple of years there may be more stock than demand. As for 2.0l being stressed pushing 150 brp run plenty of their other motors too much higher claimed bhp per litre 300 from a 1630cc I’d you believe the stickers (I don’t)

Useful Article here and worth confirming if there is any warranty left 5/7yr rings a bell and what model and displacement the motor is
https://www.boats.net/blog/evinrude-...ying-used-tips

Never heard of filling the fuel filter with fogging oil…..
Old 17 October 2022, 22:15   #18

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Different layout but traditional outboard and cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325365936...mis&media=COPY
Old 17 October 2022, 22:29   #19

Interesting info from all ,thankyou ,
bit more inf ......engine is 2017 ...........i believe it to be the Ho model which is 2.7 litre v6 ,(there is also a 150hp unit which is 1.9l), current hours is 330 and my usual is only 50 to 100 per year ... i understand there was a period between Dec 2016 and March 31st 2017 (which is unknown to me at present ) that 150 ho qualified for a 10 year warranty
Old 17 October 2022, 22:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Different layout but traditional outboard and cheaper https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325365936...mis&media=COPY
Ha Ha ,yes i had seen that ,and i have a 6 metre empty trailer in the back garden as well !! Just the usual turn offs ,antifoul ,commercial ,every man and his dog has taken it out i suspect on a weekend hire fleet ,but i think its 2019 as well ,wonder if its plus vat . still very nice imo

Tags
evinrude