Old 24 February 2014, 08:27   #1

Length: 7m +
Advice needed

Went to change the anode in the picture below yesterday, undid the bolts, slight resistance but they came off, then I noticed all 4 had sheered off, drat, damn and blast, I did manage to remove what was left of them still attached to the lower part of the bracket by using WD40 and a good pincer plier. On ispection looks like lots of build up of salt, even within where these bolts screw into the engine bracket.

Im getting some new bolts, anyone suggest the proper way of fitting them so that salt does not work its way up the thread and cause a problem again, perhaps a dab of the PVC glue sealant stuff on the last few terns of the thread ?

Any ideas ?
Attached Images

Old 24 February 2014, 11:51   #2

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I usually take the anodes off every year when I'm doing a service, give the anodes and bolt threads a quick clean, a quick spray of wd40 up the hole and put it all back together.

For the 15 mins extra it takes it saves a whole load of hassle having to drill out sheared bolts.
Old 24 February 2014, 13:11   #3

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
when I used to go out and service the coastguard OBMs. I put a marine grease onto the threads either in the bolt hole (not to much as you will hydraulic lock andthe bolt will not be properly tight). But you find that will be the end of bolts seizing and breaking,
DONT USE COPPER BASED GREASE !!!
Old 24 February 2014, 13:22   #4

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Cant offer any better advice on the above.
Did you ever get your A frame sorted? If not, I have used Precision Fabrications Ltd in Chrsitchurch. Very good 01202 474406
Steve
Old 24 February 2014, 15:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Cant offer any better advice on the above.
Did you ever get your A frame sorted? If not, I have used Precision Fabrications Ltd in Chrsitchurch. Very good 01202 474406
Steve
Good advice from people, will try a bit of grease when I refit. No still waiting on A Frame as the replacement was completely shite, have gone elsewhere now plus had other issues to content with on work done along lines of when one item done by someone else has meant I’ve had to redo some work or its caused other work needing to be done due to lack of quality control or poor workmanship.

I now only trust myself to do work on my boat. 8-) Still it’s been a learning experience having to put right lots of work done on the boat by others myself, in fact I would highly recommend people stripping their boats down somewhat as you learn a lot and then can put back together with care and attention. Reckon it’s another month before boat back in the water.
Old 24 February 2014, 20:07   #6

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
when I used to go out and service the coastguard OBMs. I put a marine grease onto the threads either in the bolt hole (not to much as you will hydraulic lock andthe bolt will not be properly tight). But you find that will be the end of bolts seizing and breaking,
DONT USE COPPER BASED GREASE !!!
I can remember me and you someone in deep dark wales and you teaching me that trick. I will also never forget i have never heard anyone snoring like that in my life!. That was a long night!!
Old 25 February 2014, 07:19   #7

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Thanks Robby now you have told everyone that I sometimes snore a little.Do you feel sorry for my wife?

« Studs! | Top | T'n'T »