Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 30 September 2021, 07:35   #61

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
One cross channel ferry chucks more rubbish out its smoke stack on one 2hr journey than my personal 2 stroke is likely to do in my lifetime, so my conscience is clear.
Old 30 September 2021, 08:27   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
One cross channel ferry chucks more rubbish out its smoke stack on one 2hr journey than my personal 2 stroke is likely to do in my lifetime, so my conscience is clear.
Likewise. I've a pair of old 2 strokes and my very infrequent use means that having a new engine made would do more damage. But, what you can see in this thread is that from a macro perspective the typical carb 2 stroke can use 50% more fuel than a modern 4 stroke and the bulk of that extra fuel is getting pumped all the way through the engine and coming out, into the water as raw fuel. Plus all the 2 stroke oil that's going into the water.

It makes perfect sense to softly phase them out as they are doing but still using an old 2 stroke isn't a grotesquely harmful activity.

With outboards it's more about the marine pollution than the air pollution. When it comes to the world of s stroke pollution the tens of millions of tuk tuks and scooters in India are probably a little more of an issue along with the fact that as they convert them to LPG and now electric all the old ones are getting shipped to Africa for another few decades of use.
Old 30 September 2021, 08:34   #63

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I totally agree Oldman ..and your pollution is also negligible to my pollution with my own two stroke .. and I wont change that either..(Unless I get the 25HP fourstoke I keep promising myself)

The folks who use the larger polluting ferry because they say the jet setters use more than them going on holiday ..wont stop either and their conscience are clear too ..because they say its nothing compared to the cows farting so they wont stop either ..unless the cows stop farting ... bla la bla.. it goes on and on because no one is willing to change.

I guess that was the message Gretta’s speech writers were putting across..its one of the reason I dislike her..its very obvious she is a puppet . But I do understand the message behind her smug face and if Im totally honest I do feel a little guilty about the legacy our generation has left our kids to try and sort or come to terms with if they cant.

Anyhoo .. Its a nice day up here ..so Im off out in my boat now.. using the 25HP Mariner two stroke of course ....so catch you all later
Old 30 September 2021, 09:35   #64

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
We’re all hypocrites including the young it’s so sad that Gretta is used by others
Old 30 September 2021, 10:55   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
We’re all hypocrites including the young it’s so sad that Gretta is used by others
True. The nice thing about the 2 stroke phase out is that it's soft and the replacement is genuinely better at pretty much everything.
Old 30 September 2021, 17:06   #66
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Does anyone know if the UK going to continue enforcement/application of the RCD on products used within the UK now we've left the EU?
All the signs seem to be that way (to the vague extent that it was ever enforced anyway). For products which would traditionally have been CE marked they can now by UKCA marked if they are only being supplied in the UK - but the standard they are certified to is the same. What may happen in the future is if there is an updated RCD the UK may decide not to update the UK CA requirements (or to take longer to do so). That might help domestic only suppliers but doesn't help importers or exporters so expect to see alignment of standards remain - that was the whole purpose anyway, to make trade easier by having one set of standards and stop countries making their own rules to protect their own manufacturers.
Old 30 September 2021, 17:34   #67

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I don’t think we can assume that small ribber was that unique. There’s 65M people in the U.K. - there’s bound to be others just like him!

Aye! True enough. One out, one in[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2021, 11:18   #68

Woohoo ..I cant believe it . I have just won the lottery. Yabba dabba doo

No not the lottery lottery ..the tax man lottery. Just got a letter from them. I always dread tax man letters ..so was scared to open it. It clearly says HMRC owes me money. I had to pay them a small fortune when buying a house earlier this year by cashing in a personal pension pot so its genuine.

Im mentioning this as you can stick yer two strokes where the sun don’t shine .. I was not kidding when I said mine stank ..was noisy ..and used twice the fuel of the equivalent size four stroke ..so Im putting my money where my mouth was .

As soon as the cash is in my grubby mit..Im getting the new Fourstroke I promised myself. My only problem now is..should I get the tiller steer Yamaha 25HP with electric start and power trim / tilt..or the 30HP one .

What a dilemma and what a great day I have just had.
Old 02 October 2021, 12:10   #69

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Donny ,

" Bought and sold for English Gold , Such a parcel of rogues in a nation "

Only pulling your leg , but you knew that
Old 02 October 2021, 12:25   #70

Yup..I know that Bern ..and I should add ..I can also understand a small use casual usage person putting weight as their most important consideration..however for me..there is absolutely no way I would consider a new 25HP two stroke.

What Im looking forward to is now getting a decent fixed VHF on the boat because handhelds up my way are a total waste of time. I might even ditch the road maps and get an IPAD plotter .. now I can have electricity on board the boat.

I will probably still carry 120 litres of fuel..but instead of Taynuilt to Canna being my limit..I will be able to go round Skye from Taynuilt without a refuel. So looking forward to some great new long multi day adventures next year.
Old 02 October 2021, 13:21   #71

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Always nice to get a tax rebate surprise... even better when it doesn't involve pre-funding the admin costs to Nigeria.
Old 02 October 2021, 13:40   #72

RIBase
Good news Donny OMO get the 30hp mate trim would be good on the tiller too
Old 02 October 2021, 14:44   #73

Yup Fenlander..its a lovely surprise as totally unexpected. I did curse the amount I had to pay in tax when I withdrew the drawdown.. they told me it was so much as I got tax relief paying into it when working so just accepted it. Im def spending it on a new outboard as Im not motivated to invest it anymore.

Im in a happy dilemma Jeff .. if I go EFI..I may need to pay for servicing ..which I would do to keep it reliable. But if I got a heavier carb four stoke I’m certain I could do my own servicing. Kaman of this shire has also just bought himself a brand new outboard for his 420 Volaire. A tiller 30HP tohatsu four stroke with power tilt/ trim ..and again he would not consider an old school two stroke. Im also wondering about a Suzi like your own one Jeff as Ardoran Marine are close by and will service it. I want to get my order in this month so hopefully, whatever I decide on, it will arrive before next summer. Until then I will happily pollute the sea with my old school two stroke then use it as an anchor

One thing I find interesting in the two stroke, four stroke can of worms is.. Commercial guys can legally buy the old carb type two strokes..but up my way..they all appear to run their tiller creel boats with four strokes ..is that the same in other parts of the country ?
Old 02 October 2021, 15:35   #74

RIBase
If you want to go down the warranty route for info I personally wouldn’t again it cost me more to run around at the mercy of dealers than if I just took it in and said mend it, or not being so idle to fix it myself. I had yams on my pilot house brilliant engines, Suzuki’s on my rib again no problems that’s why I went Suzuki this time fantastic on fuel the paint is excellent with no corrosion inside or out, starts first pull every time so quite on tickover you have to check the tell tail to see if it’s running. Tohatsue get a good following as you know they make for others at low HP range.
If I lived where you do I’d be looking for ardoran to service and get my parts

I’d say re fishermen/woman fuel usage would be key to using four stroke engines OMO
Old 02 October 2021, 16:02   #75

Thanks Jeff ..and I agree with your thoughts.

Im acting quick in case my car breaks down in a month or so and I say to myself ..I want the money for a car .. so I have put the word out to someone we both know to ask Davie (also of this Forum) if he can get me a Yam 25 EFI s/s electric start and charge. He is a decent guy too..as well as is Ardoran Marine ..but they don’t do Yamaha new

Im already happy with the top speed of my Quicksilver Alu hull..and although weight is not a major issue for me..I want to still be able to winch the boat off the beach and back onto its trailer. The Yamaha 4 stroke is only a couple kg heavier than my two stroke.. will not be so noisy..no expensive two stroke oil and should run on E10 fuel which is 10% cheaper that premium and also use half the amount ..so its a win win win situation all the way...for me anyhoo. Thanks again
Old 02 October 2021, 17:08   #76

RIBase
Makes sense going yam since you have the 6 HP Too you’ll just have to suffer the 3.3 HP when you use it
Old 03 October 2021, 08:06   #77
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Always nice to get a tax rebate surprise... even better when it doesn't involve pre-funding the admin costs to Nigeria.

He’s not got the cash yet! IME trying to extract cash from HMRC even when they admit they owe it to you is almost as hard as getting it from my Nigerian Uncle I didn’t know I had.
Old 03 October 2021, 10:28   #78

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Commercial guys can legally buy the old carb type two strokes..but up my way..they all appear to run their tiller creel boats with four strokes ..is that the same in other parts of the country ?

Yep same down south at the pontoons... many quite tatty small working boats with nice 4-strokes on.

I've never understood the legislation... I think it should have been applied in reverse... 2-stroke OK for leisure and commercial 4-stroke only.
Old 03 October 2021, 10:36   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Woohoo ..I cant believe it . I have just won the lottery. Yabba dabba doo

No not the lottery lottery ..the tax man lottery. Just got a letter from them. I always dread tax man letters ..so was scared to open it. It clearly says HMRC owes me money. I had to pay them a small fortune when buying a house earlier this year by cashing in a personal pension pot so its genuine.

Im mentioning this as you can stick yer two strokes where the sun don’t shine .. I was not kidding when I said mine stank ..was noisy ..and used twice the fuel of the equivalent size four stroke ..so Im putting my money where my mouth was .

As soon as the cash is in my grubby mit..Im getting the new Fourstroke I promised myself. My only problem now is..should I get the tiller steer Yamaha 25HP with electric start and power trim / tilt..or the 30HP one .

What a dilemma and what a great day I have just had.
Well done to you Donny. My letter was rather less exciting as It seems I owed HMRC just under £6000 which I have now paid (ouch). So enjoy my £6,000 and buy that engine. I wonder who you got the other £2K from
Old 03 October 2021, 10:38   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Commercial guys can legally buy the old carb type two strokes..but up my way..they all appear to run their tiller creel boats with four strokes ..is that the same in other parts of the country ?

Yep same down south at the pontoons... many quite tatty small working boats with nice 4-strokes on.

I've never understood the legislation... I think it should have been applied in reverse... 2-stroke OK for leisure and commercial 4-stroke only.
Yes but if they had to lift their engines on and off regularly I suspect they would all want a tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke like every one else in the same position