Old 25 September 2021, 23:40   #1

Town: Newport
Make: Elling KB 350
Length: 3m +
2 Stroke can of worms - judge Judy

Can you buy a new 2 stroke from jersey and import it by paying Vat on it?
Simple enough question…
Old 26 September 2021, 07:37   #2

I believe this is what people are doing. The control on 2 strokes in the UK appears to be solely in the hands of UK vendors to police. They can't sell one to a leisure customer.

There is no legislation to stop someone buying from a vendor that is not legally restricted and importing it.

What you will have to do is grow a beard and smear yourself with fish when you use it so as not to trigger someone.

I'm not sure what the key advantage would be. I opted for a 2 stroke 15 because it is much lighter and easier to handle on my own than the modern 10s, 15s and 20s as for the most they are all the same 43kg unit with different fuelling. Conversely, a Yam 15 2 stroke is 34kg. So for me, it's the difference between portable and needing a trolly.

I also grew up with 2 strokes and find them much more simple to keep running. As I've mentioned on here before, I'd select an old 2 over a 4 based on my confidence to get it running at sea.

When looking at new I wouldn't favour a 2s over a 4s just on any financial merit. The 4 strokes are much more efficient, don't need any fuel mixing, are much smoother if using in a tiller and so much quieter.

So generally, I think 4 strokes are much better when considering both new but there are probably niche engine sizes and niche needs that combine, such as mine, that make a 2 stroke far more preferable.
Old 26 September 2021, 09:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
I believe this is what people are doing. The control on 2 strokes in the UK appears to be solely in the hands of UK vendors to police. They can't sell one to a leisure customer.

There is no legislation to stop someone buying from a vendor that is not legally restricted and importing it.

What you will have to do is grow a beard and smear yourself with fish when you use it so as not to trigger someone.

I'm not sure what the key advantage would be. I opted for a 2 stroke 15 because it is much lighter and easier to handle on my own than the modern 10s, 15s and 20s as for the most they are all the same 43kg unit with different fuelling. Conversely, a Yam 15 2 stroke is 34kg. So for me, it's the difference between portable and needing a trolly.

I also grew up with 2 strokes and find them much more simple to keep running. As I've mentioned on here before, I'd select an old 2 over a 4 based on my confidence to get it running at sea.

When looking at new I wouldn't favour a 2s over a 4s just on any financial merit. The 4 strokes are much more efficient, don't need any fuel mixing, are much smoother if using in a tiller and so much quieter.

So generally, I think 4 strokes are much better when considering both new but there are probably niche engine sizes and niche needs that combine, such as mine, that make a 2 stroke far more preferable.
Thanks
Old 26 September 2021, 09:51   #4

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I've recently sold a 2019 15hp Yamaha 4 stroke and brought a 2006 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha.

I managed to sell the 4 stroke for about £600 more than the 2 stroke cost me and I only lost £100 on the new price of the 4 stroke, so all-in I am £500 better off. However, even if I was £500 worse off, I still think it would be worth it. The 2 stroke is smaller and lighter, so it makes the boat so much more useable.

Something I have noticed, is that the jersey 2 strokes on ebay seem very expensive at around £2600. I brought my 4 stroke in may 2019 for £1940 brand new from the dealer, including a 25l fuel tank and line. I would have thought, all things being equal, that a 2 stroke would be a bit cheaper. The dealer did say that they had an offer on for the month, which meant there was 20% off all Yamaha engines, but I assumed this was just spiel and this was always the case.

If you were going to buy new, it would be worth finding out if Yamaha do this deal regularly. It would turn the £2600 engine into a £2000 engine, which I have seen 10 year old+ 2 strokes selling for this summer.
Old 26 September 2021, 09:55   #5

Thanks for the info
Old 26 September 2021, 21:30   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
Can you buy a new 2 stroke from jersey and import it by paying Vat on it?

Simple enough question…

Depends what you mean by “can you”?

It will also depend what sort of warranty you are hoping for.
Old 26 September 2021, 21:34   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If you really want a new 2-stroke don't ask on here just phone round the dealers and see how their requirements fit in with your business case. You can probably avoid the complication of going to the Jersey dealers.
Old 26 September 2021, 21:44   #8

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
If you were going to buy new, it would be worth finding out if Yamaha do this deal regularly. It would turn the £2600 engine into a £2000 engine, which I have seen 10 year old+ 2 strokes selling for this summer.
Why would Yamaha or any other manufacturer offer a 20% discount when they can sell everything they make?

2019 was a completely different world.
Old 27 September 2021, 04:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Why would Yamaha or any other manufacturer offer a 20% discount when they can sell everything they make?

2019 was a completely different world.
You are probably right, but if the backlog ever gets cleared then maybe in the depths of winter, if things are a bit slow, they might reintroduce such offers. I thought it was worth mentioning anyway. Before I found out about it I had no idea that such offers existed.
Old 27 September 2021, 09:22   #10

Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
When your new imported engine develops a fault will your local dealer do the work under warranty or will you be invited to return it to the supplying dealer?
Old 27 September 2021, 09:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
When your new imported engine develops a fault will your local dealer do the work under warranty or will you be invited to return it to the supplying dealer?
I think the saying is "you pays your money and you takes your chances". If I had the option of a new 2 stroke for say £2000 or a 15 year old one for £1500 (which is what good 2nd hand ones were changing hands for) I know which one I'd choose, Maybe* neither would have a warranty, but at least you'd have the assurance that one option was new and hadn't been messed about with or abused.

*I'm also far from convinced that the manufacturer would renage on a warranty. Imagine you have brought a small 2 stroke for your tender in somewhere totally legal to do so, then you sail into the EU and find a fault with your tender. You have done nothing wrong, so I see no legitimate reason they could refuse a warranty. A big selling pint of the major manufacturers - Yamaha etc is their worldwide dealer and support network. Because of the many legitimate reasons that someone might have a 2 stroke engine within warranty, I'm not sire it is worth their while asking for proof of occupation etc to try and weasel out of occasional warranty claims.
Old 27 September 2021, 09:52   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
If they do, it will be under the terms of the Commercial Use Warranty in the area of purchase. I don't know what these terms may be, but shorter warranty periods are common. Two strokes purchased under the racing exemption do not have warranties, IIRC.

The local dealer may be very busy
Old 27 September 2021, 09:55   #13

>>>I think the saying is "you pays your money and you takes your chances". If I had the option of a new 2 stroke for say £2000 or a 15 year old one for £1500 (which is what good 2nd hand ones were changing hands for) I know which one I'd choose, Maybe* neither would have a warranty, but at least you'd have the assurance that one option was new and hadn't been messed about with or abused.

A very good point.... and taking the highest (daft) used pandemic price for a 14yr old Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke the gap to a new one was just £300 at one point.
Old 27 September 2021, 12:11   #14

I had a quote this morning.
So once in the country all tax paid, then I am entitled to use it?
How does reliability and noise etc compare?
Thanks everyone for your info
Old 27 September 2021, 12:21   #15

>>>How does reliability and noise etc compare?

It depends on the 2-stroke outboard make/model you are considering in comparison to the 4-stroke make/model you might have bought.
Old 27 September 2021, 12:25   #16

Thinking tohatsu 9.8
Thanks
Old 27 September 2021, 12:28   #17

Compared to what alternative choice in a 4-stroke?
Old 27 September 2021, 12:30   #18

Sorry
The same in 4 stroke. Tohatsu 9.8.
My problem is the weight of the 4 stroke
Old 27 September 2021, 12:44   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
2 strokes manufactured after 2006 are not allowed to be sold into the leisure market or used as leisure engines within the EU (Also means UK).
As its essentially a trade issue Trading Standards police this in the UK.
Old 27 September 2021, 12:45   #20

Thanks
Ok. So nobody uses one here that was bought second hand?
Thanks for your reply