Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 February 2015, 02:57   #1
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,612
Scam Members

Is it me or has anyone else noticed perhaps an influx of new members on this forum since December who seem like they may not be legit ?

Ive spotted at least 3 recently who I suspect as not being legit.

You dont have to agree with me, thats fins, but be wary; some warning signs below which may or may not indicate a potential issue.

1. The profile details listed do not make sense
2. Language, spelling, grammar used is poor
3. They have just joined and encourage you to go to a website
4. They have just joined and are selling something and the details of the item look like they have been copied and pasted from some article or boat dealers/manuf... website especially if other language poor
5. They are very happy, more than happy to ship it over or bring with them across the sea
6. Pictures look too commercial in nature, well lit, professionaly done, or pictures of boat in x country shows the boat in a different country
7. Saying things that sound odd about their boat

lots of other tell tail signs but I wont post on here.

be carefull everyone. remember in cyberspace no one knows your a dog (refers to a person who managed to get his dog a digital certificate which then allowed the dog to digitaly sign and authenticate over the internet - a geek story)
__________________

__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 03:10   #2
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,001
We keep a pretty careful eye on things, but it's always possible that something may have slipped through.

Please use the "Report post" button to give us a heads up about anything that you think looks suspicious.
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 03:33   #3
Member
 
steco1958's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 688
There has been a few since Christmas, my take on this is Just don't reply to posts that I get a bad feeling about.

Scammer's crave attention, don't give it them
__________________
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 05:16   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,898
RIBase
I think I have an idea who Boris is talking about and to be honest the quality of what they're 'selling' is so awful you'd be bloody mental to pay for it.
One in particular that joined last night is easy to track down the Gumtree ad and the boat's FUBAR. Probably not worth the £2500 it's up for.

It's not a scam, they're just idiots. too dense to check what they're saying is true and think that everyone on the specialist forum they've tried to sell on is stupid enough to believe them.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 06:04   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,097
I'm an old f@rt but I'm surprised the sales section (or ability to post ads) is not restricted as it is on so many forums I belong to until you have posted 10/50/100* (*delete as appropriate) 'normal' posts.

Seems that members who join here simply to make their first post a sales post can pi$$ off.
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 06:14   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,542
Good point Max, I'm happy to wait a month or a fixed amount of posts before getting the benefit of a sales advert, many other forums I use have that requirement.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 06:25   #7
Member
 
Bern Hanreck's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 843
+2 ! ( another old f**t )
__________________
Bern Hanreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 06:31   #8
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I'm an old f@rt but I'm surprised the sales section (or ability to post ads) is not restricted as it is on so many forums I belong to until you have posted 10/50/100* (*delete as appropriate) 'normal' posts.
Number of previous posts is a poor enough guarantee, IMO. Anyone sending cash to an "unknown" has to be either nuts, or a gambler. Different if you know the member in "real life". Quite a lot of RIB ads on here are from first posters - apparently some see a benefit in having an ad on here! Obviously one would transact that business F2F.

Boris is correct - there are dodgy newcomers arriving all the time. The forum software catches some, the admins catch a lot of stuff on the first post and then there are those that take a few posts to suss out. Most are employees being paid to "astroturf" the forum to entice you guys into a sale. Some are selling tat, some will be scammers. All pointers are welcome - as JK says, the Alert button is there to be used.

That said, the forum is already prepopulated with perfectly genuine, longstanding forum members who "resemble these remarks":

1. The profile details listed do not make sense
2. Language, spelling, grammar used is poor
7. Saying things that sound odd about their boat

So it does make the job of separating the wheat from the chaff a little more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Seems that members who join here simply to make their first post a sales post can pi$$ off.
I don't understand - do you mean that they should or that they can?
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 07:48   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Number of previous posts is a poor enough guarantee, IMO. Anyone sending cash to an "unknown" has to be either nuts, or a gambler.


I don't understand - do you mean that they should or that they can?
Yep, number of posts is not the point really though, it's just a blooming cheek to use the forum as a free ads service with no intention in joining or adding to the community. Applies whether you're a scammer or plain old freeloader. It's just common courtesy. IME it is the norm to have some sort of restriction to sales forums on most serious enthusiasts forums whatever the subject.
__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 07:58   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
It is the norm on other forums i'm a member of you need X posts and wait X days before you can access the for sale section.

Maybe the mod's will review the for sale or restrict posting down to only those who meet whatever the criteria is.

IMO it has to be X posts and X days otherwise you just get 50 posts of crap in 24 hours.

cheers
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 09:30   #11
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,864
RIBase
Before you lads lobby for more Censorship and Control by Central Authority, are you SURE that there's a problem?
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 11:39   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,283
I think people are bored and need to get out on the water more. Less of bored.net and whinge.net!!
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. West Country Division
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 11:41   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,934
only ducks are on the water more than me :-) even at that the local ones may question that!

cheers
__________________
Xk59D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 11:50   #14
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Yep, number of posts is not the point really though, it's just a blooming cheek to use the forum as a free ads service with no intention in joining or adding to the community. Applies whether you're a scammer or plain old freeloader. It's just common courtesy. IME it is the norm to have some sort of restriction to sales forums on most serious enthusiasts forums whatever the subject.
There are a numerous petty inconveniences that some forum owners inflict on their members and potential members for a variety of reasons. Examples are manually approving new registrations, moderating posts by new users, disabling PMs for new users, and preventing new users from posting in certain forums.

I have never understood the problem with people registering to post an advert. There's no need to "earn" the right to post an advert, it's a facility that's open to everyone. It's in all of our interests to have things advertised here, as we may just want to buy them. I'd much rather people just post their advert without being forced to indulge in small talk to get enough posts to pass an arbitrary test.

As ever I'm happy to review it if there is a genuine problem with dodgy adverts, but I'm not seeing it so far.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 12:00   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
There are a numerous petty inconveniences that some forum owners inflict on their members and potential members for a variety of reasons. Examples are manually approving new registrations, moderating posts by new users, disabling PMs for new users, and preventing new users from posting in certain forums.

I have never understood the problem with people registering to post an advert. There's no need to "earn" the right to post an advert, it's a facility that's open to everyone. It's in all of our interests to have things advertised here, as we may just want to buy them. I'd much rather people just post their advert without being forced to indulge in small talk to get enough posts to pass an arbitrary test.

As ever I'm happy to review it if there is a genuine problem with dodgy adverts, but I'm not seeing it so far.
You're the boss!

__________________
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 13:13   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
It is the norm on other forums i'm a member of you need X posts and wait X days before you can access the for sale section.

Maybe the mod's will review the for sale or restrict posting down to only those who meet whatever the criteria is.

IMO it has to be X posts and X days otherwise you just get 50 posts of crap in 24 hours.

cheers
It surprises me we don't really get this problem but I've never noticed a new user sticking loads of stuff on all at once. Perhaps the stricter the rules the more people will try to push to the limit, and the more common sense the less need for rules.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 17:31   #17
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
It surprises me we don't really get this problem but I've never noticed a new user sticking loads of stuff on all at once. Perhaps the stricter the rules the more people will try to push to the limit, and the more common sense the less need for rules.

As always a lot of what has been said has gone way over my head . I can't compare this forum with any other because I don't go on any other nor Facebook etc .

I do know though in life that the more secure and safe something seems ( to the user ) the less suspicious they are and therefore more vulnerable . So by being less restricted it may make us less complacent and therefore less attractive to scum .
I may be off the mark but just an onlookers view


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________

__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.