Old 27 January 2013, 05:28   #1
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Yank needs travel advice

I have a 2 for 1 coupon on British Airways that will expire in the first week in May. The terms allow me to use frequent flier miles (avios is what they are calling their miles/points now). So, for example, I can fly Los Angeles to London roundtrip for 50,000 points...for two of us. Straight to Paris, for two of us, 58,000, etc. Very reasonable!!!

I did a quick trip (11 days) back in 2001 which was Paris/Rome/Florence but, obviously, I need to see other places. Based on weather, proximity to attractions, etc., where would you go between now and early May?

I haven't had any good reason to head over but it seems stupid to let this coupon go to waste (and, yes, I need to be one of the two travelers so I can't sell it). I surf, dive, hike, and ski (but skiing seems like a bit of a hassle).
Old 27 January 2013, 08:21   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
That's a nice position to be in. Everyone will have their own taste for a trip to Europe, in terms of sight-seeing, culture, food, and activities. If it were me, then a week in Norway, Denmark and Sweden would be great. Scenery should be fantastic. Temperature wise it may still be chilly. Opportunity to do diving, surfing and fishing.

Facts about the Kingdom of Norway - Official Travel Guide to Norway - visitnorway.com
Old 27 January 2013, 09:03   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
What's your restriction on location? Seeing you dive can you get to Egypt or perhaps Bali? Both have lovely diving and top side attractions.

If in Europe only Cyprus has some great wrecks, Plymouth will be great diving in May as will Weymouth for UK wrecks and reefs.

You could tie this up with some walking in the UK, Lake District or Dartmoor are two good options.

Again if you can get there Malta offers great diving as well

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2013, 02:11   #4
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
If it were me, then a week in Norway, Denmark and Sweden would be great. Temperature wise it may still be chilly. Opportunity to do diving, surfing and fishing.
Finland,Sweden, and Norway are on the list but think April still might be a bit cold for most hiking and watersports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
What's your restriction on location?
As far as my miles will take me (and I have plenty).

Quote:
Seeing you dive can you get to Egypt or perhaps Bali? Both have lovely diving and top side attractions.
Egypt...is it safe right now as an American? (just going off what our media tells us) Bali...probably too far as I would have to fly Los Angeles-->London-->Asia

Quote:
If in Europe only Cyprus has some great wrecks, Plymouth will be great diving in May as will Weymouth for UK wrecks and reefs.

You could tie this up with some walking in the UK, Lake District or Dartmoor are two good options.
This may be a good idea as they will let me do a multiple day layover in London on the same ticket.

Quote:
Again if you can get there Malta offers great diving as well
Sadly, It doesn't look like I can get to Malta as it's a codeshare flight. I got really excited once I started researching it!

I'm going to keep brainstorming!
Old 29 January 2013, 05:50   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
How about Valencia in March for Fallas?

http://www.donquijote.org/culture/sp...las-fallas.asp
Old 29 January 2013, 05:58   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Or see if anyone has spare seats for the Easdale Rib Rendezvous in Scotland?

http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/easdale...3-a-52524.html
Old 29 January 2013, 08:50   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post

Egypt...is it safe right now as an American? (just going off what our media tells us)
The main resorts of Sharm, Luxur and Hurgada are safe as houses, when I was out there last year we asked about the strife and was told as its the tourist area they'll not touch it - they Country needs the cash tourists inject.

Siva Grad Hotel in Hurgada is a good resort and dive with Diamond Red Sea, I'm happy to ping them an introduction for you

Quote:
Bali...probably too far as I would have to fly Los Angeles-->London-->Asia
Shame as it's lovely diving, I guess the whole of this area is out of scope? Thailand, Silawise etc? Don't write off Fiji. Had some great diving there and flew direct from LA

Quote:
I'm going to keep brainstorming!
Good luck. Google the Zenobia if you like wrecks and book with Alpha Divers - Chris is a great guy.

Old 29 January 2013, 09:36   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
The main resorts of Sharm, Luxur and Hurgada are safe as houses, when I was out there last year we asked about the strife and was told as its the tourist area they'll not touch it - they Country needs the cash tourists inject.
I've visited both Sharm and Hurgada a number of times in the 90s. The diving was good but even coming from where I do , I felt that the security presence was very high. That didn't make me feel safe, quite the opposite - I assumed that they felt there was a need for it! The part that worries me is that in certain trouble spots around the world, tourists are just accidental victims, but in that region, they're the specific target.

The threat level has just been raised, BTW
Old 29 January 2013, 10:10   #9

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
or there's the Round Anglesey Cruise end of April, I'm sure we can find a couple of spare sets amongst us

http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/round-a...3-a-52316.html
Old 29 January 2013, 11:32   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've visited both Sharm and Hurgada a number of times in the 90s. The diving was good but even coming from where I do , I felt that the security presence was very high. That didn't make me feel safe, quite the opposite - I assumed that they felt there was a need for it! The part that worries me is that in certain trouble spots around the world, tourists are just accidental victims, but in that region, they're the specific target.

The threat level has just been raised, BTW

When there last year the security was very low key, there but as we only went off resort to dive never felt it intruded.

The change in the threat level is another thing -Eqypt is off the list in my book

Old 29 January 2013, 12:40   #11

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
without wanting to sound negative, would suggest you check with BA as to what flights they have avaliable to use those flights on.

We get the companion vouchers through our amex cards (usually 2 per year) and its always a struggle to find flights to use them on. Generally flights to and from US are ok if looking for world traveller but elsewhere or in any of the premium cabins, avalibility is very restricted.

Trying to use them for some flights to Sydney and seats are rare as hens teeth!
Old 29 January 2013, 14:12   #12

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
[QUOTE=ncp;513469]

Egypt...is it safe right now as an American? (just going off what our media tells us)

/QUOTE]

Being safe is a comparative measure. Have you heard about the guy who starting sleeping on the floor after he heard that most people died in bed!

I used to go paragliding, I always thought that the car trip there and back was far more dangerous than the actual flying.

The media will NEVER have a headline 10,000 Americans have a holiday in Egypt all survive uninjured.

Being a diver is surely more risky than any problems caused by civil unrest.

I was in Egypt in March 2011 (just after the Arab spring) tour buses had armed guards (pistols and bigger things), armoured mobile guns all over the place, felt perfectly safe and never saw any problems.

Choose the place you want to go based on what's there for you and not what you think could happen.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 29 January 2013, 14:30   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
I was in Egypt in March 2011 (just after the Arab spring) tour buses had armed guards (pistols and bigger things), armoured mobile guns all over the place, felt perfectly safe and never saw any problems.
Just packing your bags for Syria then?
Old 29 January 2013, 16:41   #14

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
i was in sharm a couple of years ago ,it cannot be classed as egypt no visa neccessary (though you might for the national park) we went to a bedouin evening and were well guarded i asked why did everyone have machine guns and was told `bandits want to sell you to al queda` wot ffs ..some seriously gorgeous fish there go before the russians destroy it. most resorts are gated with armed security with dive clubs on the beach. but would have to say bude is a great place to visit in the uk
Old 29 January 2013, 17:39   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
but would have to say Bude is a great place to visit in the uk
It is, with some great diving on the doorstep with the back up of Plymouth only an hour away.

Weather can be tricky, but if you're happy to surf if there is no diving or hill walk (Dartmoor) if the sea is just horrid than it can be great

Old 29 January 2013, 18:29   #16

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
bude is located in cornwall about a 5 hour drive from london,i`m sure treerat could sort out some diving and surfing ,tintagel and newquay would be a must too. most brits stay away from london as a holiday destination ,weymouth ,isle of wight,woolacombe ,bude and newquay are very notable destinations on the s coast ,i have seen lots of german and dutch tourists visiting due to the exchange rate... wales is very picturesque too anglessey is about a 4 hour drive away some good surfing too, if it was night life you were after a visit to liverpool could be added to your welsh trip fairly easily or you could head a bit further north and take in `the lake district` scenery is simply breathtaking..any journey north could be broken up with a visit to birmingham which is very nice around the canal district. don`t believe all you hear about the u.k ,good food and cold beer are fairly easy to find however a dry day is like rocking horse sh...oh and the locals ,can be friendly too even to a yank
Old 29 January 2013, 19:38   #17
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
without wanting to sound negative, would suggest you check with BA as to what flights they have avaliable to use those flights on.

We get the companion vouchers through our amex cards (usually 2 per year) and its always a struggle to find flights to use them on. Generally flights to and from US are ok if looking for world traveller but elsewhere or in any of the premium cabins, avalibility is very restricted.

Trying to use them for some flights to Sydney and seats are rare as hens teeth!
You are correct.

I've done some research (need to do a bit more and get on the phone with them). USA--> is the bottleneck with redemption. I can get business to London and economy on the way home. I was really hoping to be able to get them for a free 1st Class ticket but there are only one or two available....next Nov/Dec!

So, instead of the goal being 2 for 1 2st class, it might be 2 for 1 business or economy and travel further to get the most out of this!