Old 19 July 2014, 14:50   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Website Hosting

I am looking from some help and direction concerning website hosting

I run a few websites and one is due for it's annual website hosting fees.

I have been invoiced for this and the hosting invoice has no dates on the period it runs for and likewise it did not last year.

I had decided that when the hosting came up I would stop with the present hosting/web guy and hand it over to my reliable one putting most under one roof so to speak.

I have asked for the hosting to be cancelled and the webite zipped up for handing to my SEO for which there is a charge which is fine, BUT

The invoice I have received on 13-14th July which is dated 9th July appears due to be paid
in respect of hosting for the forthcoming year. There are no dates on the invoice to confirm what period this covers and when I asked I was advised that the renewal was effective 1st July, with an expiry date of the 31st June 2015 (is it me but I thought there were only 30 days in June!?).

Effectively therefore, I have been asked to pay for something which has already commenced without having been given the option decide whether to cancel or continue prior to the renewal This does not seem to me to be good or ethical business practice.

Quote " Your period does not start in the month you pay your invoice. Whilst I appreciate you no longer wish to proceed with the hosting the time to cancel without fees has passed as the renewal period has started and the invoice is due. "

Can anyone tell me either legally or point me towards consumer law that states there should be a cooling off period? An assumption that I would take it for another year is similar to car insurance telling me I have been renewed without having anytime to decline

(ps if anyone does some searching I am happy with hosting and SEO with MCB Creations)

I look forward to the responses!
Old 19 July 2014, 21:34   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Sounds like a business to business transaction so consumer law won't help. I suspect (from similar experiences) that the practise is not uncommon. You are in a difficult position because your site is on their server so if you need their cooperation to move it the practically (regardless of ethics or law) you need them on side. I doubt the value of the contract is large enough to justify taking legal action to enforce it (and the supplier will know this) so really it is a pragmatic solution you are looking for.

As an aside you might want to consider having full site backups that you have access to in the future as it not only protects issues like the supplier going under but makes a move easier.
Old 19 July 2014, 21:42   #3
RIBnet supporter

Cheers poly, got the back ups done. Have checked t&c s which may do me, but feel that to invoice after the start of a new year is a ####e way to do business as I planned to stop and now may need to pay even though he won't host it.
Will wAit the final results and then complete feedback
Old 22 July 2014, 15:21   #4
RIBnet supporter

Just spoken to our legal guys at FSB, interesting updates

On my account I wished to close they have terms and conditions which state 4 months notice is needed to cancel a hosting and also a £45 transfer fee.

I have emails stating it was 2 months and £50 fee so clearly the guy did not know his own t&c s, but the contractural issue is the written word so I was clearly out of date/time.

lawyers stated it was poor business practice to operate in the manner I had been captured but not illegal and they see similar with many sharp companies. They state best practice is notice of a new fee before the date of renewal not a month after it carried on.

Just as a heads to all with web hosting companies, if you think of changing check the dates, snookered myself into another 200 cost but glad I can now dump this one, another tax credit & Vat credit now for next returns!
Old 22 July 2014, 16:36   #5
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Deleted