Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 26 January 2022, 20:53   #61

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
My water usage would kill my pension if it was metered Oldman .. so glad we have not got them here.

We do pay for water but its a set price on our rates bill. Im sure Im a high user as once or twice a week.. I’m beach launching and use gallons of the stuff to hose off the car and trailer after driving across the beach to launch and retrieve.. plus wash the boat and out board. If mine was metered it would probably match my electric bill.

My biggest expense nowadays must be the gravy ....but at least Russia and China are not in control of the price of the good stuff ... so I can hopefully enjoy carrying that cross for a while longer.

After the gravy..my broadband bill is the biggest ..even worse than my electric bill ..and they have recently told me its going up even more. I suspect there is a conspiricy somewhere and they are trying to kill pensioners off by robbing us blind
Old 26 January 2022, 21:01   #62

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
However Im delight that I don’t have a meter on my water .. do you guys in the south have options for smart meters on your water ?
I've had one for 20 years, didn't have a choice it came with the house, and I'm so pleased it did.

We save a small fortune, about £400 a year, by having the meter. Our council rates, upon which the water rates are based, are stupidly high where we live, so it makes sense to have a water meter. Even when our 3 kids lived with us it was still cheaper to be on a meter.
Old 27 January 2022, 07:32   #63

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I've had one for 20 years, didn't have a choice it came with the house, and I'm so pleased it did.

We save a small fortune, about £400 a year, by having the meter. Our council rates, upon which the water rates are based, are stupidly high where we live, so it makes sense to have a water meter. Even when our 3 kids lived with us it was still cheaper to be on a meter.
My sister worked for north west water until recently & when we lived in England she always said whenever we moved house, make sure you get a water meter installed instead of paying via rates because it's always cheaper even with families. We lived in the north east where rates were relatively low but she was right we saved a fortune. I also owned two commercial workshops down there & they were very cheap even though one was a bodyshop & we regularly washed cars off.
When we bought our current house here in Scotland it was fitted with a water meter & the bills from buisiness stream who administer the meter were ridiculously high. After a long fight with them we managed to get swapped to rates based water charges & its way way cheaper.
Theres obviously a big difference in metered charges in Scotland & England
Another Scottish stealth tax I guess

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 27 January 2022, 09:05   #64

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
In my area Severn Trent are installing water meters in the street (with the stop tap) for each house. Paving the way for mandatory metering no doubt.
Old 27 January 2022, 10:04   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
In my area Severn Trent are installing water meters in the street (with the stop tap) for each house. Paving the way for mandatory metering no doubt.
But in england its usually cheaper via a meter so unless your an excessive user then your better off with a meter & lets face it its fairer to everyone to pay for what you use. The sad thing here in Scotland is that they seem to see it as a good way to rip folk off

Old 27 January 2022, 21:52   #66

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
A friend of mine has meter and rainwater flushing system in a new eco home ,the water authority have asked if they have such system but apparantly you dont have too say ,so meter reads water in without harvested and sewerage is charged at 80% of water in ,so if flushing water has never been metered in then the flush sends the sewerage out for free ,might be a bit tricky for waterboard to catch up if too many people do this ?
Old 28 January 2022, 07:24   #67

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Why are electricity prices rising for those people who are signed up with companies that claim they supply "green energy" from renewable sources? Has the price of the wind and the sun gone up?
Old 28 January 2022, 10:04   #68

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Why are electricity prices rising for those people who are signed up with companies that claim they supply "green energy" from renewable sources? Has the price of the wind and the sun gone up?

No, but the cost of producing “free” electricity is expensive[emoji849] We get paid 54p a unit for the solar we produce [emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 11:03   #69

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
No, but the cost of producing “free” electricity is expensive[emoji849] We get paid 54p a unit for the solar we produce [emoji6]
Is the entire 54p paid for by the energy company?
Old 28 January 2022, 13:48   #70

RIBase
Energy price rises-Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Is the entire 54p paid for by the energy company?

Eon pay us directly for everything we produce. Regardless of whether we use it ourselves or export it to the grid. We also then get an additional 4p/unit on top of the 54p for half of the units we produce as they deemed to have been exported. So in effect, we get 54p for half of our production & 59p for the other half, regardless of whether we use it or export it. We have a gadget on our immersion heater that monitors the PV production & automatically shunts any excess into the hot water cylinder. I had a custom 350litre hot water cylinder built by Gledhills. This has 2x3kw immersion heaters in it, so soaks up any excess PV production that the house doesn’t use. So we never actually export any power to the grid.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 28 January 2022, 14:41   #71

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Eon pay us directly for everything we produce. So we never actually export any power to the grid.

Wait till they all get their act together and insist we with solar install export metering or finally use the facility on our smart meters to figure exactly what we "export".
I was late to the solar party (2013/4 I think) so my payments are a lot lower per unit. 17.36p/unit and +5.57p for the "export" supposed like my state pension to be index linked but I see they sneaked out of the 3 way promise on that during covid too.
Old 28 January 2022, 16:26   #72

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
like my state pension to be index linked but I see they sneaked out of the 3 way promise on that during covid too.
Yup..and they pay it in arrears too.. how can I collect my last four weeks of state pension ?

Still..when the NI increase comes ..it wont affect me as I have not paid any for 8 years now
Old 28 January 2022, 17:32   #73

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Yup..and they pay it in arrears too.. how can I collect my last four weeks of state pension ?

My wife is going to keep me on ice for 4 weeks to be sure
Old 28 January 2022, 19:10   #74

Quote:
Eon pay us directly for everything we produce. Regardless of whether we use it ourselves or export it to the grid. We also then get an additional 4p/unit on top of the 54p for half of the units we produce as they deemed to have been exported. So in effect, we get 54p for half of our production & 59p for the other half, regardless of whether we use it or export it. We have a gadget on our immersion heater that monitors the PV production & automatically shunts any excess into the hot water cylinder. I had a custom 350litre hot water cylinder built by Gledhills. This has 2x3kw immersion heaters in it, so soaks up any excess PV production that the house doesn’t use. So we never actually export any power to the grid.

Someone, not me obviously, may accuse someone else, not you obviously, of being a "smug bast.rd"

Why the fu. k didn't I over rule the one who must be obeyed at all times, when she said "because they look ugly"
Old 28 January 2022, 23:06   #75

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Someone, not me obviously, may accuse someone else, not you obviously, of being a "smug bast.rd"

Why the fu. k didn't I over rule the one who must be obeyed at all times, when she said "because they look ugly"

Smug moi?[emoji6]
TBH the gaffer didn’t want them on our (Yorkshire stone slate) roof either, & I could see her point, to a point. But my inner Scrooge said otherwise. We reached a compromise & put the panels on the barn roof which is south facing & out of sight. Cost a bit more to install, but worth it IMO. I get a nice warm fuzzy feeling, knowing that St Greta will be happy[emoji849]
Old 29 January 2022, 18:34   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
A friend of mine has meter and rainwater flushing system in a new eco home ,the water authority have asked if they have such system but apparantly you dont have too say ,so meter reads water in without harvested and sewerage is charged at 80% of water in ,so if flushing water has never been metered in then the flush sends the sewerage out for free ,might be a bit tricky for waterboard to catch up if too many people do this ?
I've never heard of sewage being charged as a percentage of water consumption, is that a relatively new thing? Its over 10 years since we lived in England & then we just paid a set amount based on the council tax band & both the Scottish properties we've lived in have septic tanks so no sewage charges
Just wondering if different water authorities have different rules in their areas

Old 29 January 2022, 19:18   #77

Hi Ken, there are 3 main elements to water meter charges in England, water in, water out (grey/black as a % of water in) & surface water drainage charge.
A saving can be made if you can prove that the rain falling on your property (surface water) doesn't drain into the water companies sewage system, ie: field, stream, river, canal.
It's surprising how many households shouldn't be paying for surface water drainage, but it is upto the householder to prove/claim the reduction.
Old 29 January 2022, 19:35   #78

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I've never heard of sewage being charged as a percentage of water consumption, is that a relatively new thing? Its over 10 years since we lived in England & then we just paid a set amount based on the council tax band & both the Scottish properties we've lived in have septic tanks so no sewage charges
Just wondering if different water authorities have different rules in their areas

Yes i have made an assumption without thinking ,we are in the Anglia region and meters have been the norm for a while ,system is broadly ....new houses ,all metered ,everybody else meter if you want one ,also anybody moving to another house gets meter regardless therefore the only people without meters are those who have not moved for a while and hav,nt requested a meter .
So this means a structure for charging is needed and if you have mains sewerage then this is where the percentage out comes in ,it therfore allows those with cesspits to pay 0% sewrage ,,but if you gather your own water in then you are flushing for free !
Think the sewerage out meter has,nt been invented yet for the masses ,probhably quite lucky for a few on here
Old 29 January 2022, 20:41   #79

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Smug moi?[emoji6]
TBH the gaffer didn’t want them on our (Yorkshire stone slate) roof either, & I could see her point, to a point. But my inner Scrooge said otherwise. We reached a compromise & put the panels on the barn roof which is south facing & out of sight. Cost a bit more to install, but worth it IMO. I get a nice warm fuzzy feeling, knowing that St Greta will be happy[emoji849]
We’ve not come to a desion re solar west or south wing
Old 29 January 2022, 22:44   #80

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
We’ve not come to a desion re solar west or south wing

Put them on the staff quarters, don’t spoil “The big house” [emoji6]