Old 11 March 2022, 09:09   #121

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
How are you getting on with this one? I like the look of it - simple, functional.

Between the Hive setup, and now I've put Hive Smart TRVs in all the rooms we don't need heated during the day, I think we're getting towards a 50% reduction - although difficult to tell in the last few days as it's also got a bit warmer.
I purchased the high leg version which isn't in stock until next week. Not just these stoves, everything's selling like hot cakes, maybe a supply chain shortage? I read 174 owner comments here: www.stovefitterswarehouse.co.uk/products/dg-fires-ivar
And a review here: dg-stoves-ivar-review

I plan to take a few days off work and get all the building work done, the website above has all the info about building regs. We can do a self-install if building control is involved, alternatively a HETAS engineer can connect the flue and sign it off which is what I am planning. Plenty of them to be found in the HETAS register in conjunction with Trustpilot. I also asked a neighbour who they used.

For other brands there's a good review site here: www.whatstove.co.uk/woodburning-stoves-and-multifuel-reviews
Best avoiding cheap Chinese-made stoves like sold at Machine Mart. Quality aside, far harder to get replacement firebrick or glass should it be needed down the line.

Even without the log burner my gas bill is slashed. Look at the YTD vs 2020, my efficient boiler was installed Jan 31st and the TRV valves (& radiator balancing) at the end of Feb. So comparing last Feb to this I've saved 100hrs/month although it's been slightly warmer outside, that's less some 4 or 5 hours a day and the inside temperature is set exactly the same. We like a lower temperature during the day or it gets too hot.

I think the Magnetite filter also helped to clean out the radiators, I didn't need a power flush. It's been in about a year. You should have the Worcester one like me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HeatingYTD.png
Views:	56
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	140009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heating2020.png
Views:	60
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	140010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar2022.png
Views:	53
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	140011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar2021.png
Views:	55
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	140012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yesterday.png
Views:	54
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	140013  

Old 11 March 2022, 09:17   #122

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Ah, you've subscribed too. Would you recommend that?

I wasn't sure if the 4.99 a month would be better spent on other things (such as an extra Hive TRV this year). Certainly scheduling individual rooms with the smart TRV seems to have had a good impact too - as long as I can persuade the missus to shut the door.
Old 11 March 2022, 10:03   #123

Quote:
Ah, you've subscribed too. Would you recommend that?

I wasn't sure if the 4.99 a month would be better spent on other things (such as an extra Hive TRV this year). Certainly scheduling individual rooms with the smart TRV seems to have had a good impact too - as long as I can persuade the missus to shut the door.
Only subscribed until I've got the heating and hot water schedules optimised and the radiators balanced. Free first month so afterward I will cancel.
Old 11 March 2022, 12:58   #124

Fair enough - I think I'll do the same.

Am looking at suppliers now : I got transferred to British Gas when People's Energy went bankrupt. I left BG the first time because their service was so bad - and it hasn't improved since. Clicked on the "Get Smart Meters" button and nothing works. They haven't actually billed me for any energy usage since last october - so I only know what I have actually been spending by using my own spreadsheet.

So since was on a standard variable tariff, have just switched myself to Octopus who at least pick up the phone! I hope the positive reviews they get for customer service are well earnt.
Old 11 March 2022, 15:47   #125

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
You guys seem to be looking at some seriously expensive stoves
Check out this company

https://www.stoveworlduk.co.uk/

I've had 3 stoves from them plus the odd spare part
First was a 12kw stove I fitted 12 years ago & its still going strong
2nd was an 8kw I fitted temporarily but was fine for a few years our current home has a 30kw boiler stove supplied by them which runs under floor heating radiators & hot water via a 300l thermal store. The house is always roasting & the backup gas boiler used 1x 47kg lpg bottle since jan 2021 everything else is done from free logs 5 years on its still good & needed little attention cost when we bought it around £800
The 12kw stove was an ebay purchase at £399 12 years ago, my pal had just bought a similar charnwood that cost 3x the price he was gutted when he saw ours wasnt inferior at all I was prepared for it to need replacing sooner than a more expensive stove but its stood the test of time (we still own the house its in its just rented out)
I've never paid anyone to install one its pretty easy if your reasonably competent & follow the many online guides
Having fitted 3 cheapie stoves I wouldnt waste money on an expensive "quality" stove

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 11 March 2022, 16:43   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
You guys seem to be looking at some seriously expensive stoves
Check out this company

https://www.stoveworlduk.co.uk/
The company I purchased from price match but were already the cheapest, I shopped around. I purchased this for my sister-in-law: https://www.ukstoves.co.uk/p/5kw-por...lti-fuel-stove It's a relative bargain under £550.

The Stoveworld own-brand 'Ecosy' are China manufactured. I don't know how inferior having never seen one in the flesh but over the life of the stove I'm happy paying the extra for the DG, although that Arundel looks very nice and in the same price bracket as a China stove..

The Ivar 5 is 7.5kw but doesn't require an air brick or secondary air because it's nominally 5kw and in that class. It's supposed to have a superior air design, and extra travel making it easier to control the flame in degrees. We'll see.

We've had exactly the same debate on the forum over China-made RIBs haven't we? Capable, but no Ribcraft.
Are Chinese Wood Burners Any Good?

I'm all for home installs and would do everything myself via building control, but it's less effort to get a HETAS engineer to finish the job and issue certificate (needed if ever the house went up for sale)
Old 11 March 2022, 19:19   #127

I don't mind paying a bit more for British made stuff as long as it's good quality.
(I could have bought a new Chinese MIG welder - but I actually bought an oxford welding one)
Old 11 March 2022, 20:35   #128

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
I don't mind paying a bit more for British made stuff as long as it's good quality.
(I could have bought a new Chinese MIG welder - but I actually bought an oxford welding one)
Way to go
Short sighted Short term OVER reliance on too much important/imported stuff ..be it kit...components...tech...or know how (manufacturing Jobs) Not to mention Fuel and Energy is a Grave mistake the silent majority are JUST beginning to wake up to
Another danger is our ever growing over complicated dependence and outsourcing
coupled with more and more reliance on imports and long extended supply lines of a lot of (even basic) food stuffs.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2022, 21:06   #129

The stoveworld stoves might be Chinese made but then so are 99% of branded sibs & everyone is fine with those. I suspect many of the uk branded ones are designed here but actually manufactured abroad often in eastern europe, the ones I've had for several years have worked & are still working fine
There seems to be a huge differential in price which means you can replace several times before you are close to the cost of a top of the range stove. We have an esse ironheart in the kitchen which is £3800 & I swear its no better quality than the 30kw boiler stove in the lounge that cost £800

Old 11 March 2022, 21:20   #130

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
The stoveworld stoves might be Chinese made but then so are 99% of branded sibs & everyone is fine with those. I suspect many of the uk branded ones are designed here but actually manufactured abroad often in eastern europe, the ones I've had for several years have worked & are still working fine
There seems to be a huge differential in price which means you can replace several times before you are close to the cost of a top of the range stove. We have an esse ironheart in the kitchen which is £3800 & I swear its no better than the 30kw boiler stove in the lounge that cost £800

30kw in the lounge? Do you live in a castle?

We knock the Chinese stuff but it’s all about the money, granted there is some absolute sh1te coming out of China but if the customer is willing to pay a premium then you can actually get some quality items too. The beauty of paying your staff in rice and eggs but the west turn a blind eye to it.
Old 11 March 2022, 21:41   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
30kw in the lounge? Do you live in a castle?

We knock the Chinese stuff but it’s all about the money, granted there is some absolute sh1te coming out of China but if the customer is willing to pay a premium then you can actually get some quality items too. The beauty of paying your staff in rice and eggs but the west turn a blind eye to it.
10kw to the room & 20kw to the boiler its an old farm house 3 bedrooms lounge kitchen & utility in the main house & 2 bedrooms in adjoining former farm workers accommodation which we did as an annex for the two older kids so another 2 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen & bathroom in there the stove heats a 300 ltr thermal store which in turn feeds underfloor heating over the entire ground floor, rads upstairs & hot water. It does get through a lot of wood but heating costs are almost zero & house is always warm & always plenty hot water

Old 11 March 2022, 21:54   #132

RIBase
Quote:
10kw to the room & 20kw to the boiler its an old farm house 3 bedrooms lounge kitchen & utility in the main house & 2 bedrooms in adjoining former farm workers accommodation which we did as an annex for the two older kids so another 2 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen & bathroom in there the stove heats a 300 ltr thermal store which in turn feeds underfloor heating over the entire ground floor, rads upstairs & hot water. It does get through a lot of wood but heating costs are almost zero & house is always warm & always plenty hot water

That certainly sounds a lot of firewood.

We get our heat from a biomass boiler and our power from a hydro generatorClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	140019
Old 11 March 2022, 22:32   #133

Quote:
That certainly sounds a lot of firewood.

We get our heat from a biomass boiler and our power from a hydro generatorAttachment 140019
How does the hydro generator work? We have a stream across a field but I suspect we dont have enough fall to be useful. I might look at a small solar pv system for heating water in the summer as the thermal store has 2 currently unused 3kw immersion heaters

Old 12 March 2022, 18:02   #134

RIBase
Quote:
How does the hydro generator work? We have a stream across a field but I suspect we dont have enough fall to be useful. I might look at a small solar pv system for heating water in the summer as the thermal store has 2 currently unused 3kw immersion heaters

It’s a 500kw “run of the river” scheme that has 10.5 bar of head pressure using 635l/s.
Old 12 March 2022, 18:24   #135

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
It’s a 500kw “run of the river” scheme that has 10.5 bar of head pressure using 635l/s.

That’s a 105m head!! Is the water via pipes/aqueduct from a header pool?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 18:41   #136

RIBase
It’s a dam in the river, water comes down the glen to the powerhouse via an underground 700mm pipe. This particular scheme is a small one in regards to pressure, one of our other schemes has 254m of head pressure, it comes from the main chamber to the powerhouse in a 300mm pipe. That one is impressive power.
Old 12 March 2022, 18:48   #137

RIBase
Quote:
It’s a dam in the river, water comes down the glen to the powerhouse via an underground 700mm pipe. This particular scheme is a small one in regards to pressure, one of our other schemes has 254m of head pressure, it comes from the main chamber to the powerhouse in a 300mm pipe. That one is impressive power.

Nice[emoji106] I’d like to see that setup.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 12 March 2022, 18:53   #138

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Nice[emoji106] I’d like to see that setup.
Next time you are up give me a bell and I’ll give you the tour.
Old 12 March 2022, 19:04   #139

RIBase
Quote:
Next time you are up give me a bell and I’ll give you the tour.

Definitely,[emoji106]
Old 12 March 2022, 19:37   #140

Quote:
So its not a micro generation scheme then[emoji1787][emoji1787]
I hadnt realised the scale of the thing in the picture. Where is it located? obviously on a fairly steep hill. Be interesting to see but obviously its on a commercial scale. I keep looking at our stream & wondering if it could make anything meaningful to supplement a single house