Old 24 January 2022, 07:42   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Energy price rises-Shocking!

Shocking rise in the cost of Gas and Electricity for home use

I use 14400 kw of gas and 2500kw of electricity in 12 months at home which is a 3 bed detached. I am retired and the wife just works a couple of hours daily so the home is occupied and using energy pretty much 24/7.
I usually do a price comparison and lock myself in to a 1 or 2yr deal for suppliers. My current energy deal ends in March for which I pay £84/month to cover my use plus some spare
The comparison sites are not operating as there are no deals it seems, I managed to get 3 quotes from Eon, Ovo energy and my current provider So energy. The cheapest was my current provider.
If I use the same quantities of energy as last year my gas will cost £1370 and my Electricity £926. Thats £2296 for 12 months or £191 at the very least per month
Anyone else care to comment on their costs for home energy to give me some perspective as to if I am Joe average or Mr use too much?
Old 24 January 2022, 09:30   #2

Town: Devon
Make: Zodiac Cadet 340
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2t
RIBase
Single person, small bungalow. Usually approx £60 a month frugal use on a 2 year fixed deal.

He was away and place only used 3 weeks out of 5 week bill. Everything off whilst away.
The 5 week bill came in at £90 !!

Funny how listening to people their tarrif deals either ended or were about to end when the energy prices increased. Makes you think there was a conspiracy. Never!

Read a report on BBC that the top richest people saw their wealth double during last two years of covid.
And that Chinese billionaires have quadrupled in number. Notice that all covid tests etc were manufactured in China. Gee whizz you would have thought they started covid.
Old 24 January 2022, 13:17   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just looked and our last year cost for 2021 was £1535 gas & Elec. But this Jan bill has shown a rise of 25% over last Jan so perhaps we are on for £2000 or more for 2022.

That's gas CH with a newish boiler, cavity wall construction with cavity insulation and deep loft insulation.

Add in a spend of perhaps £150 on solid fuel for the sitting room stove used now and again.

As a comparison my elderly folks upstairs 2 bed flat with external walls on north and east sides and elec storage heaters is £1200 a year.

So I guess the OP is in the right ball park.
Old 24 January 2022, 13:42   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I'm lucky enough to have Lady Nasher about the house who deals with that sort of thing.

Although she did mention the other day that I'd been doing a lot of welding in the garage and I ought to be aware the cost of Electric is going up.
I'll need to prepare some Man-Maths justifications by the sound of it.
Old 24 January 2022, 13:45   #5

I too have full loft insulation and cavity walls filled plus double glazing. Gas central heating, combi boiler is serviced & unused rooms are unheated and doors shut.
I just did a quick calc, last years electric was £540 inc vat and the gas £533 so my old rate total was £1073. So a big hike to £2296 in 2022.
I note that gas is being imported from the USA by tanker now, good job too as I can see the Russian gas supply being cut off if the poo hits the fan. Its going to make for some interesting price caps in spring and autumn.
Old 24 January 2022, 14:19   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Mine going up from £70/ month to £140 a month variable rate, fixed rate is over £3000/ year
Old 24 January 2022, 14:36   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Yep..and more to come I'm afraid Guys....lots of Political stuff going on Gloabaly...
If you want to feel a little less aggrieved have a butchers at energy prices in Germany....and the Huge rises in and lined up for the U.S....
....Who were energy/gas/oil self sufficient in the not too distant past!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 15:01   #8

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Reading your posts and energy bills reminds me why I left the city to lead the good life.

At present my electricity bill is £36 per month and is still on a two year tariff. The hot water and heating is oil fired and works out around £300 for a year (500 litres oil) .. So Im therefore £700 to £800 per year.

Its a three bedroom house but only 10 years old so has very efficient insulation. I have five solar panels on the house roof too.. which is enough to continually run a small one bar electric fire if I so wished.

Im a pensioner too so feel the cold if I sit around but Im very comfortable living with an energy bill half of you guys. I live alone though..and cant heat myself up with a good woman so rely on my wee woodburner

The wood burner heats the living room very nicely for free ...

I collect the driftwood for the fire from the shores of the sea loch I live beside

And take it back in my wee F Rib .. as sail power is free too ..or the 3.3HP mariner if the winds dont suit. It gets me round the loch all week on 5 litres of fuel

I got a small cod fishing today when collecting the driftwood. Fish supplements my weekly food bill which is not much either..the biggest expense is the nutritious Guinness . ..If only I could find a cheap way to get the gravy

So living the good life is still pretty cheap for me ..and I get boating any time I want..which is what I live for.
Old 24 January 2022, 16:44   #9

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Our house is old and not so well insulated. We’ve already done windows, new boiler (and replumbed the hole house), individual rad stats and so forth. All that was a great help, but always more to do. Loft, cavities, etc

But……on peoples energy we were paying 350. Now on British Gas at about out 500 per month and quite expect another big hike soon. By far the majority of our use is gas for the heating.
Old 24 January 2022, 16:45   #10

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
My wife has just sorted out my mother in laws’ electric & gas for the coming 12mnths, she’s gone from £68/month to £141/month for a 3yr deal or £147/month for a 2yr deal. She’s going to risk it and stay at the £68mnth and see what happens. Can it really double? Maybe.

Rises like these are going to cause real issues.
Old 24 January 2022, 17:15   #11

Russia is is a real problem. While we don’t buy much of our gas from Russia, Russia’s control over the global gas supply is a real problem, IMVHO
Old 24 January 2022, 17:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Our house is old

But……on peoples energy we were paying 350. Now on British Gas at about out 500 per month and quite expect another big hike soon. By far the majority of our use is gas for the heating.

Goodness Matt thats an enormous bill each month already, do you own a mansion, 16 bed country lodge or Chatsworth house?

I have resisted the temptation to jump on one of the deals I have been offered, in the hope that the Government steps in with some relief at least removing VAT & that the cap in April might give some respite from the upward spiral.
Old 24 January 2022, 17:53   #13

I wish. 4 bed detached. But with heating on 24/7 now what with working from home.
It really is terrible though. This is with newest generation boiler too and new double glazing. Urgh!
This is winter usage for last month. Obvs massively reduces once it warms up a bit
Old 24 January 2022, 19:57   #14

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Russia is is a real problem. While we don’t buy much of our gas from Russia, Russia’s control over the global gas supply is a real problem, IMVHO

That and the fact that Germany has removed and/or decommissioning Nearly 30 of its Nuclear power stations (only a few left to go....on its way to ZERO!...and is more beholden to Russia than ever before for its energy!..Russia flexing it muscles?.....funny that

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 20:55   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I hope all the anti fracking protesters are getting chilly[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2022, 20:58   #16

Has anyone here got solar panels? I’ve never believed the hype, given the UK weather.
And it’s gas my gas usage that’s high, not so much lecky (although the boat does have heaters in right now)
Old 24 January 2022, 21:28   #17

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I'm fortunate that my fixed deal has still got a few months to run. Obviously I know I'll be facing a huge increase in price but at least we shall be heading towards summer.
One thing I'm surprised at is people saying they use energy 24/7, or is that just a figure of speach?
Old 24 January 2022, 22:37   #18

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Im a pensioner too so feel the cold if I sit around but Im very comfortable living with an energy bill half of you guys. I live alone though..and cant heat myself up with a good woman so rely on my wee woodburner

The wood burner heats the living room very nicely for free ...

I collect the driftwood for the fire from the shores of the sea loch I live beside

And take it back in my wee F Rib .. as sail power is free too ..or the 3.3HP mariner if the winds dont suit. It gets me round the loch all week on 5 litres of fuel
Watch the salt content Donny. If it's been in the sea a long time, even if its washed up and completely dried out, apparently it can really make a mess of your flue.
Old 24 January 2022, 23:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
One thing I'm surprised at is people saying they use energy 24/7, or is that just a figure of speach?

You may be surprised at how much energy you are using even in the middle of the night. My energy meter shows near 1/2 KW in use now at midnight, fridges, freezers, pc's and all manner of small items around the home all add up. The gas boiler needs power too. OK gas use for heating at night could be reduced by dropping the roomstat back but we no longer are used to putting a coat on to visit the bathroom, perhaps we will need to revisit those times.
Here is a screenshot of my electrical use in the last 24hrs, up to 7am its (in red) mostly fridges & freezers cycling on/off with the load between 90watts and 500watts. 7am and the 1.75kw kettle plus spikes are visible followed by the washing machine hot wash at 3pm. Total usage 14kw (pink background shaded) today.

I do have solar panels but I produced just (green line) 1kw today with no sun.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 000210.png
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-25 000210.png
Views:	98
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	139667  
Old 25 January 2022, 03:30   #20

Quote:
Has anyone here got solar panels? I’ve never believed the hype, given the UK weather.
And it’s gas my gas usage that’s high, not so much lecky (although the boat does have heaters in right now)

I have a 4kw solar system and i'm down south with a south facing roof so do ok when the sun shines. I came to the party rather late so although I still got the 20yr contract the price I get paid for each unit I generate is well below what the first signups got. The price paid per kw is index linked so does increase each year. I can generate a max of around 22kw on sunny days and I get paid for every kw I generate with extra for 50% which is deemed to have been returned to the grid.
I generate around 3.8Mwh a year, the initial install cost was paid off in around 5yrs so assuming the kit lasts 20yrs its all profit when the sun shines.

I would have bought into it at the start but just didnt have the spare 12k they wanted. As the years passed the amount the Gov agreed to pay for each kw reduced but so did the cost of the kit, so eventually it got to my price range. The banks were paying very little interest and the payback on solar looked better