Old 30 August 2006, 16:27   #1

Town: Na
Length: no boat
Day Skipper Theory......

Hi Guys
Just wondering whether any of u know of a way of getting round 20 nights in a school for the course! Are there any books that could be read to substitute the course?
Cheers Will
Old 30 August 2006, 17:35   #2

Length: 6m +
You can read books to gain some of the knowledge you would get from a course, the book that immediately springs to mind is the RYA Navigation Handbook by Tim Bartlett as a first step.

However, there are obvious limitations. You will not be able to test yourself effectively using books to learn, and if you don't understand a topic, there will not be an instructor to explain it to you! It is also common for Theory courses to deviate slightly from and expand the set syllabus, to respond appropriately to questions or particular class experiences, so you can gain knowledge from the other students, not just the instructor.

The best way of avoiding 20 weeks of night school would be to take the course as a 5 day intensive. From RibNet, Doug Innes at Stormforce Coaching runs them, Tim Griffin at Griffin Marine, Paul Glatzel at Powerboat Training Uk, and I don't teach them but look after the admin side of things at Haslar Sea School (apologies if I've missed anyone off this list - it's just a start).

If you give any of the above a call/drop them an e-mail I'm sure they'll be able to help you out with a best course of action that doesn't involve Night School. At Haslar Sea School we run a 2 day navigation course which is pretty good for Powerboaters who don't wish to do a 5 day course geared towards Yachties and Motor Cruisers, and I think Stormforce do something similar.

Hope that helps.
Old 30 August 2006, 18:00   #3

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Hi Will

Welcome to the forums, hope you had a good time at the weekend?

Jono
Old 30 August 2006, 18:24   #4

Yer im here lol! Cheers for the advice! Yeah, had a great time. Will defenitely be coming back soon for more Just need to sort this day skipper theory first. Do u have any ideas on it? The night school would be great if it werent for the fact i am at boarding school!!

Cheers

Will
Old 30 August 2006, 18:31   #5

You could (as you're at boarding school) go for a correspondance course - discussed here: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...correspondance

Has the advantages that you can do it at your own pace, in your own time, and you also have someone on hand to help you with any problems. You still don't get the group atmosphere though!
Old 30 August 2006, 18:43   #6

Cheers Jimbo
I will have a look at those courses! Sounds like they could just be the thing.

Will
Old 31 August 2006, 14:07   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Dayskipper

Will

Have emailed you with options as 5 day course, 13 3 hr evenings or over weekends.

Best Regards
Old 03 September 2006, 07:06   #8
CJR

Town: Poole
Day Skipper Theory Options

Here in Poole the adult education people run the course over 3 weekends as well as the more normal (for adult ed) 20 evening classes. Cost £128.