Old 22 July 2013, 19:18   #1

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Advice needed

Lo all,

I recently needed a new light board to go with my nice new tow car. I fancied LED lights since my old board used to chew lightbulbs like it was going out of fashion. Remembering the discussion on here about the difficulties caused by the very low draw from LED lights I figured I'd buy a ready made board and assumed that the suppliers would have added the necessary capacitors and what not to make it all work. So I went onto a trailer bit website which I had previously done business with and forked over by credit card number in return for said lightboard. I checked the site thoroughly and there was no warning about the possibility of the board not working with certain makes of car.

So the board arrives, and I plug it into my nice new Exeo estate, and the indicators flash once per turn, the brake lights flicker constantly. So I e-mail the seller and he immediately says it's because of my type of car and invites me to purchase some sort of thingy that I can wire in to make the problem go away. "No ta" says I, "if I was any good with sparks I'd have built a board myself." and anyway I'm off the Wales this weekend and I need a board.So I went off to Halfords and bought one. I packaged the original one up in the protective cardboard it arrived in ( 2 bits protecting the lamps and another one round each), added some bubble wrap of my own for good measure and sent it back by courier (Citylink).

Now the seller is saying that the board has been returned in an unsaleable condition:
"Unfortunately, the lighting board is damaged. It appears to have had another lamp unit fixed to it, removed, leaving an outline and a hole in the lighting board. There are several other pin holes between the lamp units. One end cap is missing. This lighting board is not as we supplied it and is not in a resalable condition. We are, therefore, unable to refund."

Now the endcap wasn't actually secured, and fell off whilst I was unwrapping it. I put it back on but I ca imagine if the packaging got damaged it might go AWOL. But I definitely didn't attach or removed anything from the board.

Where do I stand here? He's supplied an item that is not fit for purpose as far as I can see. But now that he's alleging damage it's all a bit up in the air. If it had been obviously damaged when it arrived then I'd have had to refuse the delivery, but if the damage wasn't evident until the packaging was removed then I'd still feel within my right to return it. So now that it's the other way around I've no way of proving it wasn't damaged before I sent it.

How am I going to get on trying to recover the cash from my credit card company? They insure internet purchases don't they?

I don't mind telling you, I'm feckin livid!!
Old 22 July 2013, 19:48   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
How am I going to get on trying to recover the cash from my credit card company? They insure internet purchases don't they?
If it as credit card not debit card then you are covered - just call them up, tell them your returned the goods as defective and have not received a refund - they will deal with it.
Old 22 July 2013, 20:59   #3

You don't need the goods to be defective. You have 14 days under the distance selling regulations.

You may only have insurance for items over £100. But for less than £100 you should still get the money back from the card company.
Old 22 July 2013, 21:14   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You don't need the goods to be defective. You have 14 days under the distance selling regulations.

You may only have insurance for items over £100. But for less than £100 you should still get the money back from the card company.
Had a similar experience, not with a light board, but with a used Audi headlight from a breakers yard. Damn thing arrived and wasn't fit for purpose (had been damaged repaired at some point). I repackaged it and sent it back (wrapped better than it arrived), and contacted seller numerous times (on phone and via online mediation through the website that represents their members). Getting no-where, I contacted credit card company who sent out claim forms. The money is currently frozen and case remains pending. Could be long drawn out affair for £70!

One thing I'd wish I'd done was take photographs or a video. Evidence and paperwork are key here. There is small claims court if you can be bothered with hassle.

Good luck.
Old 22 July 2013, 21:16   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Had a similar experience, not with a light board, but with a used Audi headlight from a breakers yard. Damn thing arrived and wasn't fit for purpose (had been damaged repaired at some point). I repackaged it and sent it back (wrapped better than it arrived), and contacted seller numerous times (on phone and via online mediation through the website that represents their members). Getting no-where, I contacted credit card company who sent out claim forms. The money is currently frozen and case remains pending. Could be long drawn out affair for £70!

One thing I'd wish I'd done was take photographs or a video. Evidence and paperwork are key here. There is small claims court if you can be bothered with hassle.

Good luck.
Wasn't a mob in Stirchley, Brum was it?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 22:51   #6

Thanks for the advices. Will go through the credit card company depending on what he comes back with. It's not so much the money (£55 plus 2 lots of postage) it's the attitude that really steams my greens. Bought off him a couple of times before and he seemed ok.

I've requested a pic of the damage so we'll see if that comes back. If he insists I've bust it then I'll get him to send it back to me and see if I can't make something useful out of it. Obviously I'll be posting glowing reviews on every camping/trailer review site I can find.
Old 22 July 2013, 23:04   #7

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Thanks for the advices. Will go through the credit card company depending on what he comes back with. It's not so much the money (£55 plus 2 lots of postage) it's the attitude that really steams my greens. Bought off him a couple of times before and he seemed ok.

I've requested a pic of the damage so we'll see if that comes back. If he insists I've bust it then I'll get him to send it back to me and see if I can't make something useful out of it. Obviously I'll be posting glowing reviews on every camping/trailer review site I can find.
Don't wait for what they come back with, they've shown their colours.
Get your card company to deal with it. You pay for that part and they'll do their job on your behalf.......and they will.
Just keep all the paperwork.
It's shocking isn't it?
Who was it? I need lightboard bits, and would like to avoid your mess.
Old 23 July 2013, 00:22   #8

Trailertek. To be fair I've bought of them twice before and all has been ok. Its possible he'll send photos which show how he could have thought I'd done something to the board. But I'm not holding my breath. I've found a couple of other reference s to their poor customer service around the web.
Old 23 July 2013, 05:44   #9

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Had quite a few bits off them over the years with no issues ! I suspect it's had some very rough handling in transit & when you see how some of the couriers that arrive at my house drive & throw items around in the back of their vans it's no surprise !!!
I'd get onto my credit card company immediately & tell them that there's an issue (I think on debit cards it's limited to 120 days) & let them deal with it ! The thing's obviously not fit for purpose but if it's going to prove a headache in future email the company prior to purchase with your car model/year & get them to commit.
Good luck with it.
Old 23 July 2013, 06:14   #10

Thing is, if it was damaged in transit then fine. But why start alleging that ive attached another light unit to it and then taken it off? And as for the compatibility thing: its not like its a weird 'niche' model: its an Audi A4 with a Seat badge on it!
Old 23 July 2013, 06:33   #11

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I know where you're coming from (usually have to deal with a load of crap myself). On another thread on here about led trailer lights the newer vehicle systems seem to be hit & miss with them.
I've been lucky that they seem to work on my old ML & Landy .
Old 23 July 2013, 06:36   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Very few modern cars will accept LEDs "off the shelf" & the higher up the food chain you go, the worse it seems to get. It's all the electrickery that's in modern cars. It's only a matter of time before the manufacturers address the problem & start modifying the towing electrics to take LEDs into account. As for your immediate problem, as the others have said, stick it to the credit card company. They have the resources & clout to deal with it. As for the website not stating that the board would be incompatible, neither did it say it was compatible If it had been compatible, they would have made a big song an dance about it on the website. Caveat Emptor, I think I'll make that rule #5
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2013, 08:54   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've had TWO sets of L.E.D's fiited to Trailers... and have come to conclusion they are Much More Trouble than they're worth!
With an ''Old School'' lighting board (With the Whole thing costing just a few Quid!) Idiot proof low Spec/ tec-Excellent Ease of repair ( A must if you do ALOT of Miles!)....availability of Parts (Nearly every Garage throughout the Land)... why on earth put yourself in the position and Perhaps Danger...not to mention Possible Fines/Points of now proven unreliable-More costly-Un-repairable-vehicle Incompatible-LED'S.
.........Been there done it...!Didn't work out! - Moved on!....!-Back!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2013, 09:39   #14

Just to keep you all informed; it's all gone quiet. No photos and no response to my request for clarification. I've written off to the credit card company now, so I'll be posting reviews on every camping site I can think of and on Google, then forgetting about it.

So basically Trailertek are fine as long as everything goes smoothly, but shite if there are any 'hickups'.
Old 24 July 2013, 09:52   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Am that way this afternoon. Happy to go and have chat on your behalf ...

Always better to sort these things in person if possible ( easy for me as in the area) with a friendly approach. at least I can ask to see said board and take a pic for you ?

Pete
Old 24 July 2013, 11:05   #16

That would be super-kind of you. Don't want t put you to any trouble or put you up for an unpleasant experience though. There was a review on somewhere about a girl who rented a trailer being harangued to the point of tears after bringing it back half an hour late.
Old 24 July 2013, 11:37   #17

Quote:
That would be super-kind of you. Don't want t put you to any trouble or put you up for an unpleasant experience though. There was a review on somewhere about a girl who rented a trailer being harangued to the point of tears after bringing it back half an hour late.
No probs. I read that one to!

Pm me some info..like your real name and anyone you've dealt with etc and I'll nip in in a hour or two.
Old 24 July 2013, 12:56   #18

About to finish with client..so if I'm going need to know some info asap..
Old 24 July 2013, 15:09   #19

Sorry Peter. Been in a meeting so was off t'internet. Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 24 July 2013, 15:20   #20

Quote:
Sorry Peter. Been in a meeting so was off t'internet. Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dan
Any time.I'm often that way if things don't get sorted.