Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 08 November 2005, 15:21   #81

Length: 6m +
Guys thank you all for your time and effort.

Codprawn, thankyou for being kind enough to share your knowledge, be it known, or googled for, with me, and if it is googled, for taking the time to research it on my behalf.

hard1, thankyou also for all your comments on Isuzus, I haven't made my mind up yet, but seeing as Isuzus do get a better press generally than the LR in terms of reliability, I suspect that's what I shall go for. I am still open to suggestions, and will listen to any info anybody is kind enough to give me before I make a final decision.

Des, thankyou also for your comments about intended use and such, I'll be one of the 5% if I get a landy, and one of whatever the figure for Isuzu offroaders is as well - being busy getting my car pulled out of holes by Steven's 101! Please don't get wound up, remember, 72% of all statistics are made up on the spot, and there is ALWAYS a bias in them of some sort!

Everyone else, cheers 8 pages on 4x4's where we've discussed the merits and faults of various makes and models, this has been very informative, and I shall now go out and test drive an Isuzu Trooper, and a Disco, then I shall save up! Watch this space for pix of the new wagon, but it might take me a year to get around to it!
Old 08 November 2005, 15:39   #82

Length: no boat
Heh heh......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	its_all_flat_now.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	15580  
Old 08 November 2005, 15:47   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Heh heh......
Nice!
Old 08 November 2005, 16:11   #84

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Jimbo

See me at "Church" next week and I'll show you how much Disco you can get for £6k.

Codders is right about repair costs / LPG etc.
Mind you, I am biased, I have got 3 of Landrover's finest at the moment, totaling around 11.5 litres.

Altenativly you could take my old Rangy off my hands. The missus says it is taking up too much drive.
Regarding the Alvis trucks (Stolly/Stally/'kin big thing). I have it on good authority, that they are great on roundabouts, you dont have to go round them. Straight over is good.
Old 08 November 2005, 16:16   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
Jimbo

See me at "Church" next week and I'll show you how much Disco you can get for £6k.

Codders is right about repair costs / LPG etc.
Mind you, I am biased, I have got 3 of Landrover's finest at the moment, totaling around 11.5 litres.

Altenativly you could take my old Rangy off my hands. The missus says it is taking up too much drive.
Regarding the Alvis trucks (Stolly/Stally/'kin big thing). I have it on good authority, that they are great on roundabouts, you dont have to go round them. Straight over is good.
Mark,

Cheers for that, see you at the church on monday, and I'll let you wow me with the wonders and value of LandRover!

(How old is your old Rangy??)
Old 08 November 2005, 17:51   #86

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
... but only by those who haven't quite mastered joined-up writing and spelling... Since when was Stalwart spelt with an "O"..?
They were always called Stollies and used by REMFs (rear echelon mother f**kers) to deliver urgent supplies to front line troops, normally the milk and papers Jono did you ever drive one ?
We caught one enterprising young "tankie" solving the wind up problem in the transmission by cleaverly painting out the white lines in green, then painting white lines back in a straight line. Problem solved and the tiffy would leave him alone then. Another solution was to get at least 4 wheels airborne. Not as difficult as first thought and the transmission would unwind, however the engineering solution was to put a 2 tonne contrete block in the rear to compress the suspension.
Des you probably wouldn't want to take one swimming, we only let them go on the end of a winch rope incase they sank nice phos bronze props though
Old 08 November 2005, 18:08   #87

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
They often used to use them to deliver petrol in jerry cans - saw one that was completely crammed full of them - that coupled up with their own 200 gallon fuel tank would be quite interesting on a battlefield!!!

Apparently one love sick squaddie stole one in germany and drove home - straight across the english channel......
Old 08 November 2005, 18:17   #88

Jimbo on a slightly more serious not I think Mark has a point, lotsof discos on e bay and in the free ads etc. But cost the insurance for the vehicles first,the mpg (manual disco 32 mpg, auto 26 mpg if driven like your granny) and then look at the cost of spares and tyre prices for jap and L/Rovers. The older L/Rovers might not be able to match the spec of the jap 4x4 but underneath they are huge tonka toys, so with a big socket set you can do most jobs yourself and spares are cheap. If you think you can handle the wiring in a jap 4x4 I know were there is a large grey nissan/toyota thingy going cheap
Old 08 November 2005, 18:21   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Apparently one love sick squaddie stole one in germany and drove home - straight across the english channel......
Nah he bottled it and turned back after getting half way because the fuel was running low. Guess what was in the bowsers on the back, yep couple of full tanks anyway after a spot of discipline he went to work for Alivs as a vehicle testing driver, they recon'd anyone with enough bottle to attempt a channel crossing in one of those was good enough for them.

Pete
Old 08 November 2005, 18:34   #90

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I like my Nissan Patrol. It's got 166K on the clock. Got stolen a few months back and they managed to get it stuck in a field (didn't find the diff lock switch fortunately). Went to pick it up from the recovery company, jump started it and drove it home - the recovery company said they'd never had anyone drive a stolen recovered home from them before - usually everything is undriveable, and seeing their yard I believed it. It suffered a bent bumper and rear door. Since then, have subsequently driven it, towing a raceboat, to Italy and back, 4 up and with all our kit. You just can't kill the fkkrs (Borldscratcher excepted, he managed to kill one, but he's special )
Old 08 November 2005, 19:20   #91

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
. You just can't kill the fkkrs (Borldscratcher excepted, he managed to kill one, but he's special )
Yes most unfortunate
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 19:34   #92

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Jono did you ever drive one ?
We caught one enterprising young "tankie" solving the wind up problem in the transmission by cleaverly painting out the white lines in green, then painting white lines back in a straight line. Problem solved and the tiffy would leave him alone then.
You mean the "tell tales"? To show if they'd been...er... "abused" ? Chap up the road has had one for donkeys... 3 wheel drive.. I want one too.. but my other "REME fecked" vehicle is seriously begining to eat into my fun budget...
Old 08 November 2005, 19:44   #93

Quote:
Nah he bottled it and turned back after getting half way because the fuel was running low. Guess what was in the bowsers on the back, yep couple of full tanks
Pete
Sounds like private 3rd class gArfie He mentioned a dishonourable discharge to me once , but I told him to take some pennicillin
Old 08 November 2005, 19:48   #94

Like I said Pete.......

Quote:
... but only by those who haven't quite mastered joined-up writing and spelling... Since when was Stalwart spelt with an "O"..?

...perhaps I should have been more specific... those who can't spell, write joined-up...and whose favourite tool is graded by weight......

PS... Leyland Daf running "sweet as" now... ta very much.. I owe ya
Old 08 November 2005, 20:21   #95

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
...and whose favourite tool is graded by weight......
ann wotts rongg wiva burmingam skroodryva
Old 08 November 2005, 20:49   #96

Quote:
Like I said Pete..........perhaps I should have been more specific... those who can't spell, write joined-up...and whose favourite tool is graded by weight......
You mean like tool, fine, adjusting,

Fine Adjustment tool
Quote:
PS... Leyland Daf running "sweet as" now... ta very much.. I owe ya
No problem mate, shout if you need any other info.

Pete
Old 08 November 2005, 20:59   #97

I saw that Mr Walker... :
Old 08 November 2005, 21:41   #98

Quote:
If you think you can handle the wiring in a jap 4x4 I know were there is a large grey nissan/toyota thingy going cheap
Thanks for the kind offer of shifting that silver thing (nice CB radio in it if I recall?) but it isn't quite new enough for me, and I don't think I fancy trying to handle the wiring

I will seriously look at a Landy - ebaying now - just one q, are they smaller than the trooper?
Old 08 November 2005, 21:53   #99

Length: no boat
The pukka Landy LWB is probably higher, but no, not generally bigger. It's narrower and probably a similar wheelbase, maybe shorter but not a lot in it. I think the Trooper LWB probably has got the largest cabin of the lot. It's a regular Tardis.
Old 08 November 2005, 22:04   #100

you can have the CB if you want it, the previous owner had it installed and I don't have a use for it.