Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
100mph car ban. Another total prat....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07...h_vehicle_ban/
Old 04 July 2007, 01:39   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Like I said on another thread, the environuts won't be happy until we've all regressed to a stone age standard of living. Even then, they won't be happy, because they simply aren't happy people. They see humans as a blight on an otherwise perfect, utopian world, and their very own existence causes them no end of guilt.
Old 04 July 2007, 01:45   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Good enough reason to NEVER vote lib/dem - they are the idiots who want to ban 4x4s as well......
Old 04 July 2007, 10:17   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
I read some research yesterday that concluded that only 0.11% of greenhouse gas volume in the atmosphere can be directly attributed to human activity.
Old 04 July 2007, 16:20   #5

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixy_the_red View Post
I read some research yesterday that concluded that only 0.11% of greenhouse gas volume in the atmosphere can be directly attributed to human activity.
Is that human activity or the activities that humans do?
Old 04 July 2007, 16:35   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
So why do cars need to go more than 100 mph. Its only legal in a few countries and its not legal at all in the UK. So maybe this man has a point.

Everytime I see a car doing 100mph plus I just think prat, if its on a motorway and if I see one on other roads I find my life is in the hands of the car that is doing the ridiculous speed.

Anyone who does 100 mph + is being completely selfish and sod the poor innocent driver and pasengers that get in his way.
Old 04 July 2007, 16:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
So why do cars need to go more than 100 mph. Its only legal in a few countries and its not legal at all in the UK. So maybe this man has a point.

Everytime I see a car doing 100mph plus I just think prat, if its on a motorway and if I see one on other roads I find my life is in the hands of the car that is doing the ridiculous speed.

Anyone who does 100 mph + is being completely selfish and sod the poor innocent driver and pasengers that get in his way.

Do you ALWAYS stick to the speed limit? I doubt it very much. Are you saying it's fine for you to go 85mph but not for someone else to go 105? You are BOTH breaking the law!!!

So much depends on conditions - driver ability and the type of car.

The MAIN point you seem to be missing is that a car capable of 150mph is going to be so much safer than others at lower speeds - better brakes - better handling and better acceleration for safer overtaking.

There ARE places in the UK where it IS safe to go way over the limit - providing there is NO other traffic - the conditions are good etc etc. i would far rather someone driving at 120mph in the right place at the right time than some old git doing 45mph in a built up area!!!
Old 04 July 2007, 17:15   #8

Codders,

My car and my pocket operate best below 70 mph. I don't do much driving but have over 27 years of driving all sorts of vehicles. I'm sorry but as you get older you do get wiser and you realise driving over 100 mph really has no place in a modern crowded world.

I can't see how anyone can justify high and dangerous speeds.

Nick R.
Old 04 July 2007, 17:45   #9

Quote:
Codders,

My car and my pocket operate best below 70 mph. I don't do much driving but have over 27 years of driving all sorts of vehicles. I'm sorry but as you get older you do get wiser and you realise driving over 100 mph really has no place in a modern crowded world.

I can't see how anyone can justify high and dangerous speeds.

Nick R.
Actually I seem to go faster the older I get as I get more experienced by the day.

I refuse to go fast in built up areas or bad conditions - often people will fly past me but then when we get to open country roads it's a totally different story.

I have noticed that the speeds on the m4 get faster the closer you get to London. People are often averaging about 85 - 90mph just to keep up with traffic flow - much more or less would be dangerous.

One of the biggest causes of accidents is people driving too close - something I NEVER do and something I refuse to allow other to do behind me.
Old 04 July 2007, 18:30   #10

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:

They dont is the short answer Biggles...however,

The same engine that gets my car to nearly three times the legal limit in this country is the one that has the poke to get me out of dangerous situations v v quickly caused by others or myself, needs brakes that can stop 2 tonne of car from 70 to 0 in less time than it takes to fart and puts power through 4 wheels to keep it on the road when others are at risk of losing it in the wet/ice. The combination is infinitely safer than your average car and it isnt this stalinist governments place to dictate which type of car I purchase to a) keep my pax and I safe and b) enjoy driving.

More energy should be spent on teaching drivers how to drive safely - the old dear in the brand new clio who drove the wrong way, up the one way sliproad at Emsworth onto the A27 (under the speed limit) this afternoon is a case in point - who's more of a risk, her or me driving well above the legal limit on an empty M6 to Scotland?

I frequently drive at over a ton, only when on my own and when safe to do so - call me a pratt if you want, but for me, the bigger pratt is the guy in the 1.1 micra who does 40 in a 30, or 35 past the local school whilst on a mobile and the increasing number of drivers who have no concept of motorway lane discipline.
Old 04 July 2007, 18:43   #11

Thats one of the problems - until someone has driven a seriously rapid car they have no idea just how different they are from the mundanos on the road.
Old 04 July 2007, 18:54   #12

Sounds like a couple of so called experts justifying why they can drive fast and no one else can.
Old 04 July 2007, 18:56   #13

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Who wants to (edit: removed spam, that would be silly) mail the ugly little runt (careful use of the letter 'r' in runt) first:

http://www.chrisdaviesmep.org.uk/other/contact.html
Old 04 July 2007, 18:59   #14

Town: Fareham
I'd like to see the speed restricted to 100MPH on the road, but purely on safety grounds and that goes for those ridiculously fast motorcycles too. My veiw is that it wouldn't affect supercars if you could switch the restriction off when on the circuit.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2007, 19:15   #15

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Sounds like a couple of so called experts justifying why they can drive fast and no one else can.
Far from it - 1) I've not professed to be an expert 2) Anyone can drive fast if they want to, I just believe that there are more pressing priorities for the government when it comes to road safety.

I agree with Hightower's suggestion, although I'd give it a week before tuning companies came up with a "fix" to remove the limiter as they can currently do with german 155 limiters.

Went on a Sussex Police "Bikesafe" course recently and to quote their website,

"The message we want to give to riders using the county’s roads is to enjoy their biking but make sure their skills match that of their powerful machines."

Enough said really.

They werent shy about going above 70mph either.
Old 04 July 2007, 19:30   #16

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: Tohatsu 140
OK so if we see the world in Chris Davies eyes, to do our 'bit' for the environment we would need to drive around in safer cars that cannot go over 100 mph. My friend has a Smart Car which has a top speed of 85 mph. Not sure I would want to be in that at 85 mph even if it did save the planet . To be honest, wouldn't want to be seen in a Smart car - sorry
Old 04 July 2007, 19:58   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I think we have enough Big Brother watching us. Orwell and 1984 springs to mind.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2007, 20:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I'd like to see the speed restricted to 100MPH on the road, but purely on safety grounds and that goes for those ridiculously fast motorcycles too. My veiw is that it wouldn't affect supercars if you could switch the restriction off when on the circuit.

Why is 100mph safe and 120mph not???
Old 04 July 2007, 20:45   #19

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911 View Post
They dont is the short answer Biggles...however,

The same engine that gets my car to nearly three times the legal limit in this country is the one that has the poke to get me out of dangerous situations v v quickly caused by others or myself, needs brakes that can stop 2 tonne of car from 70 to 0 in less time than it takes to fart and puts power through 4 wheels to keep it on the road when others are at risk of losing it in the wet/ice. The combination is infinitely safer than your average car and it isnt this stalinist governments place to dictate which type of car I purchase to a) keep my pax and I safe and b) enjoy driving.

More energy should be spent on teaching drivers how to drive safely - the old dear in the brand new clio who drove the wrong way, up the one way sliproad at Emsworth onto the A27 (under the speed limit) this afternoon is a case in point - who's more of a risk, her or me driving well above the legal limit on an empty M6 to Scotland?

I frequently drive at over a ton, only when on my own and when safe to do so - call me a pratt if you want, but for me, the bigger pratt is the guy in the 1.1 micra who does 40 in a 30, or 35 past the local school whilst on a mobile and the increasing number of drivers who have no concept of motorway lane discipline.
Spot on.

Speed is not dangerous. Speed in the wrong place is Dangerous.

Teaching people how to handle speed is expensive (which is why it doesn't happen).

People being capable of handling speed would be counter productive fiscally, as less people would be prosecuted for speeding in the wrong place.

The government should be prosecuted for qualifying people to drive, who legally have not been able to drive on a motorway.

People who don't understand the basic's above, unfortunately pass the laws.
Old 04 July 2007, 20:49   #20

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Why is 100mph safe and 120mph not???
Both are equally safe in the right conditions as long as the tyre ratings match the speed.