Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 September 2009, 21:49   #61
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,299
Quote:
but not looking too clever at the moment, will wait for Avo's verdict
Pussy!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice_Hat205.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	45442  
__________________
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 22:11   #62
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,020
Indeed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pussy.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	45443  
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2009, 08:57   #63
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,305
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Pussy whipped again!

Cheers Chaps!
[Did'nt realise you were both comeing!!]AND Dont forget to drink plenty of water!..would'nt want you BOTH to get TOO DEHYDRATED......... in front of the RADIATOR all weekend!
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2009, 16:47   #64
Member
 
Country: Other
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 411
Just because the Fuschia and Cafe du Port are full, doesn't mean there's only camping available at St Vaast.

There's a decent hotel 5 minutes further along from the Fuschia, heading east and slightly inland, which we stayed at one year -can't remember the name but it had wrought iron railings if memory serves.

Avoid staying overnight at the Vauban. It's OK for a meal but the rooms are like broom cupboards unless they have vastly improved.

There is a good hotel in the next coastal village heading west (5 minute cab ride) with 15ish rooms.

4 guys in our party stayed in a gite, which was organised at the very last minute. They bunked down together in the first 2 rooms they came across and when they woke up and explored the place the following morning, they reckoned it would probably accommodate 14 people !
__________________
Bittentobuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2009, 17:25   #65
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 70
St Vaast

Avocet & Maximus

News from the Chichester group is that we have decided that the trip is a no go due to the continuing high winds that are not expected to settle much before Sunday.

There are some people new to Ribs in the group from here as well, so all in all probaly the right call to make.

Shame as I was really looking forward to another adventure. Talk is of grabbing the next opportunity to go during one of those autumnal high pressure periods, flat calm, plenty of sun and that autumn nip in the air in the mornings!

I will put Mrs B on stand by, and pack away the brownie points for another day.

Hopefully you like me think the same and are happy to try again soon.

Regards

Mick.
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2009, 13:24   #66
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I'll need to launch the boat on Friday evening to leave Poole at 7.00am on Saturday for Yarmouth, so I might go and stick its nose out beyond Old Harry and see what the sea state is like then - so probably won't make a final go, no-go decision until after then.
Hi Avocet (and everyone else!)
We're back from France now but it's a bit too soon to go for a jaunt back across the channel.
If you decide not to go for the weekend in France are you likely to be up for a trip somewhere on Saturday - maybe a Nacho run to Yarmouth or Lymington to make up for the fine french cuising that you'll be missing?
I need to get Dizzy off the trailer to do some repairs so will be out and about by late Saturday morning /early afternoon.
However, XCweather.co.uk is now showing decreasing winds for Saturday and Sunday in the Channel so maybe you can go back to "Plan A"!
Trevor
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2009, 15:49   #67
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
Hi Trevor

Trust you had a good time in France and look forward hearing about it.

Having spoken to Maximus at lunchtime, we have decided that the weather is too borderline to try the Channel crossing this time but this is merely a postponement rather than a cancellation...... Watch this space!

The current alternative plan now is for Mrs A and me to leave Poole about 9.30 am on Saturday and head around St Aldhelm's and Portland with a view to meeting Maximus at West Bay for lunch. What we do in the afternoon will depend upon how the trip to West Bay goes but there is the possibility of completing the crossing of Lyme Bay. Mrs A and I have, however, booked accommodation in West Bay for Saturday night and will therefore be returning to Poole on Sunday.

Anyone that wants to accompany us to West Bay or meet up on the return trip is more than welcome and would avoid us having to do the trip solo.

David
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2009, 16:42   #68
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,299
David that sounds awesome but my boat has not been built yet!!!!

Will catch you on the next one
__________________
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 September 2009, 18:36   #69
RIBnet supporter
 
LURCHER's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 780
Hi David ,
Disappointment all round on this one but another times sounds like a very good idea , mid October can bring some still days and perfect for a quick dash across . Many thanks for all your efforts so far . Force 4 on Sunday will get me out windsurfing instead !
John
__________________
www.hiremarquee.co.uk
LURCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2009, 17:50   #70
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,436
Guys, good call on the postponment I reckon... you may feel better to know that I've been on a tall ship sailing from Holland to Wales for the past 10 days, and the wind was against us until rounding Lands End... we were hiding in port with great regularity in between the gales... it's not been nice out there, and I reckon it would still be quite lumpy for a safe rib trip...
__________________
Neil Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2009, 10:20   #71
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,305
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Come on Indian Summer[or have we got to go to INDIA for one!?

Obviously the Channel trip never went ahead,we did however catch up with Avocet and his charming wife Ginny at West Bay for a bit of a blast which blew the cobwebs away!
Would like to thank them for a good day,and evening in the pub!
Also Avo and myself deffinately up for the Crossing anytime there is a weather window so not given up yet!...[.YOU'RE ONLY BEATEN WHEN YOU GIVE UP!!]
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2009, 19:11   #72
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
Well West Bay isn't France but at least Mrs A and I made it there (and in so doing proved that the postponement was the correct decision) and had a great day meeting Maximus and his lovely wife Karen.

We left Poole at 10.15am rather than 9.30am as planned (owing to a misunderstanding between Mrs A and me: when asked what time we needed to leave, I replied "9.30" which she understood as being the house but which I had meant the marina!).

As a result, we got within sight of West Bay at 12.30 rather than 12.00 after a very bumpy ride westwards (15kts max across Weymouth Bay - and so proving the decision to postpone the French trip as correctand - and some 25kts max across Lyme Bay). On he approach I put a call out for Mr Jingles and duly received a reply from Maximus to say that the boat had been successfully launched and that he was just paying his harbour dues. Somewhat strangely, as we arrived in the harbour, Mr Jingles was moored to the pontoon but no sign of Maximus or Karen who arrived five minutes later. It later transpiredthat they had been paying their harbour dues at the harboumaster's office rather than harbourside and that Maximus had answered my call using the harboumaster's radio which was monitoring CH16!

After an excellent lunch in The George, we went for a blast further West to Bere. The weather had improved and we could have gone on but Mrs A and I were feeling the effects of the morning's bumpings and we returned to West Bay after stopping off at Lyme Regis for a couple more drinks (thirsty work this boating!).

Having helped recover Mr Jingles, we then spent a very pleasant evening over more drinks and supper in The West Bay and said our goodbyes to Maximus and Karen who were driving home before retiring to our B&B for a sound night's sleep.

The weather in the morning was much improved and we set of on the return jouney at 10.00am and in consideably calmer (though not flat) conditions arrived back off Poole just before midday having failed to refuel at Portland (where fuel is now normally available but the petrol pumps were u/s). Off Poole, we met another friend who had come out to meet us in his RIB and we went on to Yarmouth for lunch and a refuel. 175l over a 135M voyage gave about 1.3l per mile with which I was pretty pleased (although the speeds involved weren't that fast).

All in all, a great weekend which went a good way to making up for the disappointment of postponing the French trip. I'm not sure for when it will be rescheduled but, as Maximus has said, we both remain very keen on the idea so watch this space.....!

In the meantime, here's a photo of Mr Jingles and crew in Lyme Bay (only the one photo since Mrs A only took three and the other two were out of focus!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressed 281.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	45603  
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2009, 07:46   #73
RIBnet supporter
 
LURCHER's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 780
Right decision

We decided on a short consolation trip on Sunday ,so off to Gunwharf for a blast .On leaving Chichester Harbour we got an engne overheat due to weed picked up .Stopped the engine and cleared the weed only to find the exhaust elbow fractured and sea water being pumped into the bilge .Good job we did abort the French trip !
__________________
www.hiremarquee.co.uk
LURCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2009, 12:30   #74
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 70
Consolation

No such consolation trip for me, although glad to see that Avocet, Maximus and Lurcher managed to get out. The West Bay trip looked good and probaly not far off the distance to St V and back. Full marks for making the effort.

On another note look at the bloody weather now great timing, if there is any chance the weather holding through next week, maybe tuesday - wednesday any takers for a dash to Cherbourg or St V? Just a thought!

In the meanwhile back to the millstone.
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2009, 12:49   #75
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
We decided on a short consolation trip on Sunday ,so off to Gunwharf for a blast .On leaving Chichester Harbour we got an engne overheat due to weed picked up .Stopped the engine and cleared the weed only to find the exhaust elbow fractured and sea water being pumped into the bilge .Good job we did abort the French trip !
Ouch: sounds expensive and could have been v problematic mid-Channel!

We heard a boat with mechanical difficulties at Chichester Harbour entrance talking to the Coastguard (well the CG side of the conversation). Was it you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
No such consolation trip for me, although glad to see that Avocet, Maximus and Lurcher managed to get out. The West Bay trip looked good and probaly not far off the distance to St V and back. Full marks for making the effort.

On another note look at the bloody weather now great timing, if there is any chance the weather holding through next week, maybe tuesday - wednesday any takers for a dash to Cherbourg or St V? Just a thought!

In the meanwhile back to the millstone.
That's a great idea Mick and the lock times fit: open at 16.44 BST on 15 Sept and close at 10.50 BST on 16 Sept. With the kids back at school, though, I might have some difficulty finding a crew mid-week (especially one that I'd want or be allowed to share a room with! )
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2009, 16:47   #76
RIBnet supporter
 
LURCHER's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 780
Chi

Not us we were able to continue with bilge pump doing its stuff , £320 so far and counting they suggest a new water pump too I dare not tell you how much that is ! She may be watching .
__________________
www.hiremarquee.co.uk
LURCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 September 2009, 18:11   #77
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,305
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
No such consolation trip for me, although glad to see that Avocet, Maximus and Lurcher managed to get out. The West Bay trip looked good and probaly not far off the distance to St V and back. Full marks for making the effort.

On another note look at the bloody weather now great timing, if there is any chance the weather holding through next week, maybe tuesday - wednesday any takers for a dash to Cherbourg or St V? Just a thought!

In the meanwhile back to the millstone.
I have got a few commitments at the mo guys,[Buisness does get in the way of my liesure time!!]but if the weather looks 'good'..hmmm-- I'll do my BEST to juggle things around if it looks like a goer! Cant commit till the weekend though.
[Keeping the euros on standby!]
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2009, 21:40   #78
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 70
Chaps, weve not confirmed but clearly any chance of a crossing this week is out. I'm still very keen to go but will leave it open to suggestion as to when that might be.

If no crossing takes place always keen to take part in any local trips of interest, cold weather no problem!

Cheers Mick.
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2009, 16:01   #79
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
Hi Mick
If the french thing dosant work out what about the BIBOA Weymouth trip
3/4 Oct realy good bunch and i am sure if i speak to Julian , no need to join for a one off trip, i have been loads of times and its a great night.
Just a Thought
Roy
__________________
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2009, 16:30   #80
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 70
Weymouth

Roy thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind, assume its down on Saturday and back Sunday?

Regards Mick
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.