Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 July 2009, 14:37   #1
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
St Vaast la Hougue France 4/5 - 6 Sept

Having resolved at the start of the year to organise a trip to France, I'm finally getting around to it.

Am proposing to cross from the Western Solent on either Friday 4 September (for a two night stay) or Saturday 5 September (for a one night stay) to St Vaast la Hougue and return on Sunday 6 September.

St Vaast is a small port about 10M south of Barfleur on the Eastern coast of the Cherbourg peninsular and, for those that were on the Alderney run, is about the same distance with a similar crossing time. Entrance to the marina is by a lock gate necessitating an arrival by 12.55 BST on 4 Sept or 13.27 BST on 5 Sept. The town has a camp-site and a number of hotels in a range of price brackets. Details of the town and facilities are available at: http://www.saint-vaast-reville.com/en-GB/index.html (the English site is still under development: let me know if anyone needs any translation!)

We would only want to do the crossing in company: we already have a couple of interested others but does anyone want to join us?

David
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 15:16   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
Don't mess about with campsites etc, stay here... http://www.france-fuchsias.com/UK/cadreAn.html

and ask for a table in the conservatory. You'll have a fantastic meal that you'll remember for years to come.
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 15:29   #3
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
We intend to: but don't tell everyone!
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 15:55   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,053
RIBase
If you're going to Saint Vaast and want something a bit uot of the ordinary to do,it's worth going and taking a look at the fort on Iles Saint Marcouf.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 16:59   #5
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you're going to Saint Vaast and want something a bit uot of the ordinary to do,it's worth going and taking a look at the fort on Iles Saint Marcouf.
Goddit: 49° 29’ 52.52” N 1° 8’ 46.98” W. Will certainly visit if we're there for two nights.
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 18:33   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Paradiddle
Make: Ribcraft 6.8/Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 200/Evinrude
MMSI: 235071824
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 99
I did St Vaast last year and would def like to go back on the Rib. Alas we only get back from Brittany the weekend before , but ......if your dates end up getting pushed back for any reason we could be up for it...
__________________
Mark E
mark241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 19:07   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
We went last year with BIBOA great place and subject to work would love to go again, we stoped at the Fushia hotel at £150 a night a tad dear but it was nice
i still have all the way points if you want them
Roy
__________________
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 19:18   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 316
Avo
Might well be up for this one. Was there again on the 'mother ship' last month and supplies from Maison Gosselin are already running low!

P.S. Petrol and Diesel available without assistance of harbour office via 'card machine' on the dock a la Tesco! Not cheap though.
P.P.S. Are the other 'interested parties' from the Davis Clan?
__________________
BassBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2009, 22:34   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Having resolved at the start of the year to organise a trip to France, I'm finally getting around to it.

Am proposing to cross from the Western Solent on either Friday 4 September (for a two night stay) or Saturday 5 September (for a one night stay) to St Vaast la Hougue and return on Sunday 6 September.

St Vaast is a small port about 10M south of Barfleur on the Eastern coast of the Cherbourg peninsular and, for those that were on the Alderney run, is about the same distance with a similar crossing time. Entrance to the marina is by a lock gate necessitating an arrival by 12.55 BST on 4 Sept or 13.27 BST on 5 Sept. The town has a camp-site and a number of hotels in a range of price brackets. Details of the town and facilities are available at: http://www.saint-vaast-reville.com/en-GB/index.html (the English site is still under development: let me know if anyone needs any translation!)

We would only want to do the crossing in company: we already have a couple of interested others but does anyone want to join us?

David
Hello David

WP I'm interesed in this one and having small tots would favour the one night stopover as would bring Mrs B this time, she missed out on the Alderney run. Please pencil me in if it works for the saturday - sunday run.

Thanks Mick.
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2009, 09:11   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,446
Hi David

Could you pen me in for this one, the Sat/Sun would be better for us, as Mrs 250kts could not get the Fri off (teacher!).

Regards Steve
__________________
Steve_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2009, 09:32   #11
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,305
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Would like to add my name to the list for this one Me and Mrs M that is.Looks good!
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2009, 09:45   #12
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
From feedback so far, it looks like Sat/Sun is the one to go for. It was my preferred option but thought I'd better offer a choice: I'm not sure that there's more than 24 hours worth of things to do in St Vaast itself (although there are various places to see nearby).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post
Are the other 'interested parties' from the Davis Clan?
Yes: interest expressed when proposed a couple of weeks ago but I haven't mentioned it further since.
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2009, 19:27   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
LURCHER's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 780
St Vaas

Please put us down on list departing from Chichester 8.5 diesel and 7m with 150 optimax happy with either option .Will liase with Mick B too.
__________________
www.hiremarquee.co.uk
LURCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 15:20   #14
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
Those interested so far appear to be:

Avocet, BassBoy, Mick Balch, 250kts, Maximus and Lurcher.

I'm away in Scotland from today with difficult internet access (part of the attraction!) so won't be around for the next two weeks. Lack of postings won't mean that I've lost enthusiasm and I'll make contact with the above and any others who express an interest in the meantime, once I'm back.
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2009, 18:30   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
As per my post subject to work comittments
iam in
__________________
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2009, 04:14   #16
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
Sorry, Roy!

You're now added too ...... and I'm away.

David
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 10:51   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Sorry, Roy!

You're now added too ...... and I'm away.

David
Yep we're interested in this if it's going to be over the weekend
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 20:35   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Humber Tiger
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 140
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21
Sounds really good, never actually crossed the channel before but would love to give it a go
David
__________________
HumberTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 21:10   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
LURCHER's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 780
We now have three KTNV Lurcher and Tex , 8.5 Humber &m Humber and 6m Osprey
__________________
www.hiremarquee.co.uk
LURCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 20:16   #20
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 909
St Vaast la Hougue: 5 - 6 September

I've restarted this thread as a new one since the one night trip is preferred to the two night one (perhaps JK or the other mods can insert the old posts ahead of this to keep it as a single post?).

Interested parties to date seem to be:

Avocet, BassBoy, Mick Balch, 250kts, Maximus, Lurcher, Roy Smith, bedajim, HumberTiger, KTNV and Tex.

That's the good news .....

.... the bad news is that the two hotels in the town and the two B&B's that do one night stays (the others have two night minimum stays) are all fully booked.

Additionally, the Fuchsias restaurant (attached to the Hotel de France) has given me and Mrs A their last table for the evening of the 5th and have indicated that more people cannot be accommodated. (We are not minded to eat on our own and can cancel the booking.)

Against this, the camp site has indicated that there are plenty of pitches available that week-end and that pre-booking is unnecessary.

Given that the point of the trip was to stay at the Hotel de France (somewhat upmarket but a good pamper) and eat in its restaurant (excellent sea-food), we seem to have been somewhat thwarted, however....

The options seem to be:

1. Go anyway (weather permitting), camp and eat in one of the other restaurants/brasseries (of which there are several) and possibly rearrange another trip more in advance for next Spring.

2. Go somewhere else (Cherbourg? - although I'm open to suggestions)

3. Postpone the crossing to another week-end (although the weather for a suitable crossing is likely to start to deteriorate, and Mrs A and I are in some difficulty getting away for week-ends once term restarts since Master and Miss A have Saturday school)

Given the above problems, I've not yet contacted the harbourmaster to enquire about berths but will need to do so before finalising arrangements.

What do people think/prefer/want?

Look forward to hearing from you

David
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.