Old 03 April 2019, 19:04   #21

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
Good news!

Tony. Has the route been finalised?

If the weather does not play ball. Our plan B? Perhaps the skippers can be granted a series of indicative non binding advisory votes to agree on a plan B? A Colonsay plus plus . Jura 2.0 or Norway ?

Naturally , the boats from Northern Ireland will get the final say on account of the door stop .

That should all work seamlessly!

PS. Can we ban the B word for the weekend?
Old 03 April 2019, 20:59   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
Tony. Has the route been finalised? Naturally , the boats from Northern Ireland will get the final say on account of the door stop .
I'd imagine they'll take the Traditional Route...
Old 04 April 2019, 06:21   #23

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
I like what you did there Wilk. But I suspect few will get the gag !
Old 07 April 2019, 13:41   #24
kev

Town: Clackmannanshire
Boat name: SEAMATE
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 hp 2 Stroke
My son and I will hopefully be there this year, planning on coming up from Islay in his new wee 4 meter searider. Think the last time i was there was a good few years back.
Old 25 April 2019, 17:51   #25

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Arrangements are well underway. Carolyn is having a few days off as we have had a busy Easter. I will update on the sea conditions and weather next week.
I am currently on one of our boats in the south of Skye. The wind which has been predominantly ESE or SSE for a long spell is still sharp. Around the headlands such as Neist Point it’s certainly not planing speed.
It’s circumnavigate Canna tomorrow before returning to Skye then a dash to Easdale in time for supper. The guys are out again next week so we are able to keep an eye on sea conditions.
It’s almost flat calm at Easdale!

Tony
Old 27 April 2019, 07:08   #26

Yesterday’s trip Skye to Canna was completed at 12 knots. The run Skye to Easdale was interesting. The forecast for this coming week should you wish to believe it is little wind. Fingers crossed.
Old 27 April 2019, 14:41   #27

Please find below some details for this year’s event – we look forward to welcoming quite a few newcomers this year.
**IMPORTANT** - Please note that camping or the parking of motor homes on the land formally known as Highland Arts is no longer an option.
Tides are SPRING.
Times are Oban and BST.
Fri 3RD May – LW 1209 1.0m, HW 1805 – 3.6m
Sat 4TH May – LW 1239 – 0.8m, HW 1835 – 3.7m
Sun 5TH May – LW 1310 – 0.7m, HW 1903 – 3.8m
PLEASE NOTE COASTGUARD AREAS. All VHF traffic from the northernmost point of Jura (including the Corryvreckan) heading north is STORNOWAY Coastguard. All VHF traffic from the north tip of Jura southwards is BELFAST Coastguard.
Please can all participants register when they arrive at the Seafari Ticket Office.
PLEASE NOTE – HARBOUR CHARGES FOR EASDALE HARBOUR ARE £10 A NIGHT PER BOAT. THE FUNDS RAISED FROM THESE CHARGES ARE DONATED TO THE ISLAND TRUST FOR MUCH NEEDED PROJECTS ON EASDALE ISLAND.
HARBOUR FEES – which go Eilean Eisdeal, the local Community Trust.
£10 per night, £50 per week. The decision for 2019 is to ask all attending to place monies in the honesty boxes. One is located within the Seafari Ticket Office. The other is a white metal box on the end of the ferryshed on Easdale Island. Many thanks.

Friday 3rd May 2019
For those arriving ‘early’ take a short shakedown cruise to some of the local islands. Meet at Easdale - Postcode PA34 4TB. This postcode takes you to the mainland harbour. RIBs to around 6.5m. Please organise your boat ready to launch before accessing the beach. Once launched do not tie to the ferry slip, use the beach, the pier end wall or better still, head to the harbour at Easdale Island 200m away. A member of the ERR team should be on hand to assist and guide you. Parking is available and you will be directed to the car park allocated.
The Oyster Bar (Telephone 01852 300121) in Ellenabeich. Meals available (1700 – 2100). Please phone to make a reservation.

The Puffer Bar (Telephone 01852 300022) on Easdale Island. Meals available from 1800. Please phone to make a reservation.
Booking is advised at both. Please consider bestowing your presence in one establishment on one night and the other establishment the other night as both The Oyster and The Puffer are worth a visit !

Saturday 4th May 2019
Subject to weather the intention is to head to the Treshnish Islands to the west of Mull. It is important the weather conditions are suitable for all. Would I take my grandson in my 5.4m Searider is the question I will ask myself.
Ideally depart Easdale 0930 heading along the south coast of Mull arriving Iona circa 1100. Please note you cannot leave boats alongside the pier. The slip is used by passenger boats to Iona. Toilets and café at the top of the pier, the abbey etc. Depart Iona circa 1230
Head for Lunga (Treshnish Isles). Some may wish to swing by Staffa. (approx. 40 mins)
Please note Lunga is a nature reserve. Please do not take your boats close the the seabird cliffs. If boats scare puffins, guillemots etc from the cliffs the gulls swoop in and take chicks and eggs. There is a landing spot where we can get our 11m RIB alongside but you either tie to rocks or anchor and dinghy/cadge a lift in.
The direct line home is to reverse your route but many may wish to continue to circumnavigate Mull. Tobermory and fuel for both RIBs (bring a can) and those aboard.
Total distance perhaps 135nm, maybe slightly less.
This is a full day out.
Should we be uncertain of the weather we can head to Tobermory, poke our noses out to the Atlantic to make a final decision.
Should the weather be poor from the start the alternatives include The whisky trail on Islay – (Laphroig, Lagavullin, Ardbeg) or I make it up if this looks too far in the conditions.
CHANGE TO VHF SAFETY PROCEDURE – The Seafari Office no longer listens in on Channel 77 or 16. We suggest the following – the Seafari cabin RIB (Celtic Voyager) will be listening in to both Channel 16 and 77. Participants wishing to check in/out should do so with Stornoway Coastguard who have been informed of the change. If you need assistance just shout on Channel 77 and hopefully someone on ERR will hear you. You can always telephone Seafari Ticket Office 01852 300003 and they will contact our boats.
The Oyster Bar (Telephone 01852 300121)in Ellenabeich. Meals available (1700 – 2100). Please phone to make a reservation.
The Puffer Bar (Telephone 01852 300022) on Easdale Island will be having one of their popular Seafood Buffet evenings - £37.00 a head including dessert (Booking is essential and £10pp deposit required) - Please phone to make a reservation – these evenings tend to sell out very quickly.
Booking is advised at both. Please consider bestowing your presence in one establishment on one night and the other establishment the other night as both The Oyster and The Puffer are worth a visit !

Sunday 5th May 2019
A more relaxed day. A short crossing to Loch Buie on Mull with a landing here possible then on to Carsaig, the old herring port. We still haven’t made I here. An alternative could be a return visit to the Garvellachs (land) and back via the Corryvreckan
For the geologist in you, visit Carsaig Arches. An approach by boat eliminates a 3 mile difficult walk. For the romantic in you, Loch Buie and Carsaig were the setting for the classic 1950’s Michael Powell film “I know where I’m going”. On a windy night settle in front of the fire with a bottle of red wine and the DVD.
In the meantime if you have any queries or concerns please contact Carolyn in the Seafari Ticket Office on 01852 300003.
Old 27 April 2019, 14:43   #28

LAUNCHING AT CUAN - For anyone planning to launch from the Cuan slip please can you ensure that you bring your trailers back to Easdale immediately after launching and leave the trailer in the back car park. Please do not leave your trailer at Cuan - many thanks !
Old 27 April 2019, 14:53   #29

Wee safety notice !

The essence of ERR is for people to enjoy both the RIB challenge and to meet with like-minded people. Safety is of paramount importance.

We ask everyone to note that they are responsible for their own safety. We ask that RIBs travel in a minimum group of 3 boats. Join up with RIBs of a similar size. Team Seafari will be out in one of our RIBs If you are uncertain then just tag along with the main group following Seafari.

In the interests of safety we do request that all those taking part read and note the RYA Guidance on Alcohol and Boating. We want everyone to enjoy themselves but also to remain safe
https://www.rya.org.uk/…/cur…/Pages/...d-boating.aspx
Old 30 April 2019, 08:53   #30

Hi all -

For information if you haven't yet visited it is worth a pop in, even if just for tea and cake !

The Atlantic Islands Centre is open for business . They have moorings which they are happy to let people use. The cost is £10 which, if stopping for lunch, they will deduct £5 from your fee.

Hours of service are 12.30-3.30 for hot food. 10-4.30 for coffee and cake. They are open Saturday night for evening meals between 6-8 ( booking is essential.)

Atlantic Islands Centre Isle of Luing, Coffee Shop, Restaurant, Exhibition, Events, Scotland
Old 01 May 2019, 14:35   #31

Whilst I do not like to predict weather so far in advance ERR may this year benefit from sunshine.

The wind forecast which is more important to us is a little indecisive. There is definitely a northerly element. Around Easdale it's F3 possibly F4. This is fine. There will be lots of options.

Out at Iona it's a solid F4 throughout the day at the moment. Friday night it's F5 to F6. There could be a residual swell.

Depending on what occurs and what some local operators say I would be tempted to head to Tobermory then ride the swell down to the Treshnish Isles and Iona before returning to Easdale in the lee of Mull.

Going anti-clockwise could save any 'bash' north into the sea.
Further update Friday.

Safe journey as you all head to Easdale

Tony
Old 02 May 2019, 06:44   #32

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
**IMPORTANT** - Please note that camping or the parking of motor homes on the land formally known as Highland Arts is no longer an option.

is there an alternative area where motorhomes/campervans would be ok in the area (thinking to use our campervan next year)
Old 02 May 2019, 08:32   #33

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Getting the SR 4.7 ready for the tow up from Blackpool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	129212  
Old 02 May 2019, 12:36   #34

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Ocean Devil has arrived in Amsterdam at the ferry port .
Tomorrow at 9am arrival in Newcastle .Click image for larger version

Name:	20190502_143358.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	129214Click image for larger version

Name:	20190502_143412.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	129215
Old 02 May 2019, 16:58   #35

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 315 Yanmar
We will have a pint of good Scottish ale waiting for you in the Barn Jurgen,safe journey
Old 03 May 2019, 05:08   #36

Campervans/Motorhomes

Throughout the summer a considerable number of campervans stay overnight in the Back Car Park at Ellenabeich/Easdale. Whilst there is the odd notice put up by a local against use of the car park no one has been moved on. Argyll & Bute Council, the Car park owners admit there is little they can do to prevent overnight parking of campervans in the back car park.

Tony
Old 03 May 2019, 17:01   #37

Easdale RIB Rendezvous 2019
Decisions
Weather forecast is Northerly Force 5. With the strong gusts today which are meant only to be F5 I have had to make the decision that a circumnavigation of Mull is not reasonable. There will be nowhere really to hide on the stretch Tobermory to Erraid. Iona will be chaotic and the holding ground is not great.
Saturday 4th May
The thought at the moment is to head to Craighouse via Ardlussa and Lagg. By sticking close inshore there should be a lee. Whilst Craighouse may not be flat calm there is a pontoon we can all raft up to. Berthing is by donation – box at the top of the pontoon. Depending on how we get on there is the option to head further south to the Islay distilleries of Ardbeg – moorings and jetty, food available, Lagavullin – Islay Sea Adventures pontoon can take a few boats. Laphroaig is within walking distance. Fuel is available at Port Ellen just to the south – cans required.
It will be calm on Islay – well sheltered however at this stage I am not committing to taking the leg Craighouse to Islay until the weather forecast updates. Getting there is one thing, we do have to get back.
We will have dinghies on the water to assist transport from 0830
DEPARTURE TIME – SEAFARI BOAT WILL HEAD OFF AT 0930

Tony
Old 04 May 2019, 16:57   #38

We hope you enjoyed your trip today Saturday

Sunday
A shorter day.
Wind remains NW
Easdale to Carsaig on the south coast of Mull then to Loch Buie.
Total distance approx 30 miles

Larger RIBs will need to anchor. It's not the greatest jetty.

Depart easdale 1000
Return 1400 approx.
Some may wish to make a longer day. Our suggestion head for The Garvellachs.
Old 06 May 2019, 21:55   #39

Length: 6m +
Did I see a few of you heading South by road on Sunday between Lochearnhead and Tyndrum (was on my way to The Fort for some climbing)?

Included a beast with full orange flashing lights!
Old 07 May 2019, 05:32   #40

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
we saw a light blue poss turquoise large rib heading south on the a1 yesterday near leaming 1.30 ish made me quite envois

Tags
rib