Click Here to Login

Old 30 January 2006, 08:47   #101

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
dropped the boat off to get the tubes made up and fitted this weekend.

I have chosen to use Ribcraft for this work as they have a superb reputation and i have had a lot of very positive feedback on them and seen their work at first hand.

Had a tour round their facility in Yeovil to see the boats being constructed which was great.

Hope to get the boat back in approx 2-3 weeks
Old 01 February 2006, 10:15   #102

if it helps anyone who is looking to get some work done on their boats then i have used the following companies for the supply, manufacture etc of various items for my boat and the individuals and companies have provided excellent support, willingness to meet custom requirements and have given very high quality with a competitive price.

For the tubes i have used RibCraft in Yeovil, they are happy to do retubing work for many different types of boat as well as supplying their own excelent line of boats. They are well regarded for their quality of tube work and there are plenty of ribcrafts out there for you to check their work. I will post some pics of the tubing when i pick up the boat.

http://www.ribcraft.co.uk/

For the stainless steel work for the boat I have used Marine Fabrications, they will manufacture pretty much anything you want and are extremely helpful, Ask for Mark, everyone who has seen my stainless steel work has commented on the quality of the workmanship

http://www.marinefabrications.co.uk/

For the upholstery I have used MasterTrim, Loui is the contact there and they are willing to undertake any work you require and to your individual specification. I will post pics of the upholstery when i pick it up in a couple of weeks.

http://www.master-trim.co.uk/

for the trailer i have purchased an SBS ELR2 1800 single axle which takes a 1400kg load with a total all up weight of 1800kg. The trailer tows very well and has many significant design benefits over snipe and hallmark (i have a hallmark as well) and again they are easy to do business with.

http://www.sbstrailers.co.uk/index.asp

For the engine and many of the various components for the boat I used Ron Hale marine. Ross is the contact there and they were very competitive and helpful with my requirements around the engine and its fitting and also the supply of various ancilliary boat bits and bobs.

http://www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/

for the steering I have used Sea Star from Hypro Marine, again very helpful and easy to do business with, the kit is very high quality and has a great reputation. contact there is Steve

http://www.hypromarine.com/

Thanks to those that contacted me with recommendations of folks they had used previously, I contacted a lot of companies both local and distant and I found the suppliers I have listed to be the best balance of Quality/workmanship/ease of doing business/competitive pricing/genuine people

good luck with your own projects..
Old 02 February 2006, 16:16   #103

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
one issue with the amp i have is how resistant it will be to moisture and condensation etc, plus it is hanging upside down and has a metal hood which might collect water!!
maybe ur real problem with the amp could show itself with time. The metal case is a heatsink for the transistors to dissipate heat through, if heat rises ya could cook the amp pwba instead of expelling ur heat through the lump of junk on the top. People used to put em under parcel shelves on cars in the early days and took alot of people a long time to realise why they kept goin POP!
Old 02 February 2006, 16:18   #104

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
were osprey happy for you to take a part build?? is it going to be cost effective for you this way or realisticly similar to a finnished boat??
Old 02 February 2006, 17:07   #105

I purchased the boat thru osprey and paid a commission to brugge marine who hold the name etc. Yes they were happy as at the time there was no distributor in the UK. they do now have a new distributor and the link is here....

Roy Bishop or Dave Page

http://www.ospreyribs.co.uk/

I am sure they will be happy to talk to anyone regarding a new osprey.

as to the costs of my boat as opposed to buying one from Brugge or Roy bishop I could not comment. I expect any saving i have made will be in the time I have spent on the boat and maybe plus a bit!

It has worked out perfect for me to do it this way as I have enjoyed getting into the nitty gritty of the build etc and know how it all works etc so if i have a prob at sea hopefully will be in a better position to do a remedial repair.

as for the amp.......upside down in a corosive damp atmosphere .....heat dissipation .....condensation ......not sure how long it will last but i will keep an eye on the heat generated anyway.....it is an experiment at the end of the day and if it fails i have a plan b.
Old 07 February 2006, 20:44   #106

been fitting out the aframe and routing all the wires and cables, still waiting to fit the ariels for the radio otherwise all else is done, have fitted some nice lights to the underside that will swivel to allow me to see check the enging and prop at night. they have blue lenses but are actually those blue/white lights. will fit the aframe on the babe when i get her back with the toobs on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02058.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	17423   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02059.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	17424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02060.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	17425  
Old 08 February 2006, 08:12   #107

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
been fitting out the aframe and routing all the wires and cables, still waiting to fit the ariels for the radio otherwise all else is done, have fitted some nice lights to the underside that will swivel to allow me to see check the enging and prop at night. they have blue lenses but are actually those blue/white lights. will fit the aframe on the babe when i get her back with the toobs on
The only thing I would say is that if you turn those lights on at night, the glare from the boat will dazzle you - only any use for in harbour mooring and the like .............. Just my humble opinion of course!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2006, 08:18   #108

Town: Wyke Regis, Dorset
Boat name: SuRely Knot
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
The only thing I would say is that if you turn those lights on at night, the glare from the boat will dazzle you - only any use for in harbour mooring and the like .............. Just my humble opinion of course!
But he'll need some light in order to spin the discs and mix the drinks on the disco cruises!
Old 08 February 2006, 08:21   #109

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
isnt the radar reflector next to useless in that position - not a critisism since mine is in almost exactly the same place and I have a nagging suspicion that it doesnt really do much?
Old 08 February 2006, 08:25   #110

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
isnt the radar reflector next to useless in that position - not a critisism since mine is in almost exactly the same place and I have a nagging suspicion that it doesnt really do much?
Good point - I think they only work vertically!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2006, 08:28   #111

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
oops i have mine in the exact same position as hugh,,
Old 08 February 2006, 09:37   #112

on my hard boat i have the lights in front of the screen but where the light bounces off the white at the front of the boat then it does make it difficult to see. I am expecting the lights will help a bit but glare will probably be an issue, probably best for just use in close manouvering and seeing what you are doing, also they swivel downward for shining on the engine and prop in an emergency. I am fitting a 12v supply outlet near the front of the boatfor a handheld powerful lamp for emergencies.

as for the radar reflector i suspect its capabilities will be quite limited as suggested, i might be going for one of those vertical larger ones at some stage but need to get a stainless steel post fitted for it to fix too in order to save breakage. the one fitted is just a gesture really!

thanks for the input guys anyway
Old 12 February 2006, 20:47   #113

Today I made up the Boat Patchs with the Osprey Logo on them. Normally the logo is painted onto a Patch of Hypalon, but, Just to be different i have decided to take a different approach. I have carefully cut out the logo on a sheet of ocean blue hypalon the same colour as the tubes. Then behind this will be a white and red patch of hypalon showing the cutout as in the picture. This way i wont suffer from the paint wearing off. These will be fixed to the boat this week.

Lots of painstaking work with a scalpal as the osprey logo is quite intricate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02065.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	17516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02067.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	17517  
Old 12 February 2006, 22:25   #114

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
one issue with the amp i have is how resistant it will be to moisture and condensation etc, plus it is hanging upside down and has a metal hood which might collect water!! so is a bit of an experiment at the moment. I wanted to have no moving parts in the stereo is an amp and mp3 player rather than a normal cd head unit, and it has worked out quite cheap as well.
How big is the amp. Can you get a tupperware type box that's just a bit bigger ( allowing for some heat disapation) and fit the amp and box where the amp is being mounted. the lid would make it all waterproof!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2006, 23:23   #115

Town: Fareham
Looking like it's comming on Chris, like the patches. When's the Viper back from the Tube fitting?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 08:51   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
How big is the amp. Can you get a tupperware type box that's just a bit bigger ( allowing for some heat disapation) and fit the amp and box where the amp is being mounted. the lid would make it all waterproof!
Andy, my be getting it back at the end of this week, that is when it was scheduled but may be next week as i am quite busy this weekend with parties

Stu, the idea of putting it in a tupperware type box is certainly an option, the console is sealed so should not get the salt in there causing problems on too regular a basis, my only concern is the heat generated if it is in a sealed box, will see how hot it gets in use then decide. i am also fitting a small heater in the console to keep it dry which might also help. the amp is quite big physically so would need a large box, will see how i get on with it.
Old 13 February 2006, 09:06   #117

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
I wouldn't recommend putting it in an air tight container unless its made of metal which will allow for the heat in side to conduct to the surface and radiate away.

You will probably find if you used an air tight food container the air inside would just expand and pop the lid off anyway.

Even if the amp doesn't feel that warm to the touch - sealing it off will allow it to overheat. Although if its a good amp it should have thermal shut down anyway - ie it will just get quieter so that it can cool off if it gets too hot.

Don't be fooled by thinking your console is sealed. water will get in unless you've lagged every hole you've cut in it with sealer. and i mean every bolt hole every gauge your sat nav your radio etc etc etc... water will get in - not massive amounts but it will get in.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 09:10   #118

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Chris - why did you not get a beefier a-frame that would have doubled as a tow frame - You wont be doing much wakeboarding towing from transom eye bolts - you need a high tow point to keep the rope clear of the water and to help with the big jumps.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 09:50   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Chris - why did you not get a beefier a-frame that would have doubled as a tow frame - You wont be doing much wakeboarding towing from transom eye bolts - you need a high tow point to keep the rope clear of the water and to help with the big jumps.
I did get a quote for a bigger aframe etc which would have been custom made but decided to stick with what i have as i only need to pull up a very slight person and the aframe would do that no problems.

when the kids are old enough to really get into watersports i will probably have another boat by then....maybe
Old 13 February 2006, 09:55   #120

that is my concern with an airtight container, in that it may overheat
however the console is quite well sealed so it wont be getting saltwater splashed over the bits. every single item is sealed in with marine sealant and seals so i think it will be pretty good although not airtight. Its amazing where salt water and salt air can get so not fooled in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
I wouldn't recommend putting it in an air tight container unless its made of metal which will allow for the heat in side to conduct to the surface and radiate away.

You will probably find if you used an air tight food container the air inside would just expand and pop the lid off anyway.

Even if the amp doesn't feel that warm to the touch - sealing it off will allow it to overheat. Although if its a good amp it should have thermal shut down anyway - ie it will just get quieter so that it can cool off if it gets too hot.

Don't be fooled by thinking your console is sealed. water will get in unless you've lagged every hole you've cut in it with sealer. and i mean every bolt hole every gauge your sat nav your radio etc etc etc... water will get in - not massive amounts but it will get in.