Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 October 2012, 10:40   #51
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
NSS we only stock the most popular colours mainly in 1200gsm orca 828 and a few in 1500gsm orca 866 .we do not stock any of the lighter grades 215 and 820 .If we stocked all colours in all grades we would have approx 1,000,000 worth of stock . we charge the same for all colours but extra for the heavier weight fabric .
the argument for sharing hull designs doesnt really stack up as it is the hull that gives the boat its own particular performance .the motor trade does not do this ,they share floorpans within the same group ie vw audi porsche not different companies .if you had a hull that gave better performance would you share it with your competitor .
Due to the very small quantities or boats being built and materials being used you would need every manufacturer in the uk to join together to get any savings on purchases of materials ,engines ect .e.g if my rubbing strake supplier has 100mtrs of strake in stock which is very unlikely as it is made to order it will cost x/mtr if he has no stock i have to order 600mtrs minimum and it still costs x/mtr enough for 50x 5mtr ribs ,we have 7 different rubbing strakes this would be enough for 350 boats who makes that many boats in a year ??
Hi Paul, that sounds like a very sensible stock holding policy, I was just curious about the cost implications for a customer specifying some obscure colour scheme for their tubes.

As for the motor manufacturer shared platform comparison, I understand your point, but I don't entirely agree. And it's not just, as Courageous has mentioned, that competing manufacturers share floorpans, engines and a wide variety of other components. Take a Ford Focus as an example. It's available as a basic 1.0 litre 3-door model with little in the way of equipment, as a luxuriously equipped estate car with a 2.0 turbo diesel, and as a fire-breathing 250bhp street racer. I'd contend that the target markets are totally different, but the basic platform is the same for each. All I'm suggesting is RIB builders could collaborate on a common 'platform' but tailor it to suit different markets and budgets.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 10:50   #52
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
So, are you saying that Toyota Aygo, Peugot 107 and Citroen C1 are all part of the same group?
They share the same floorpan and shell, engines and gearboxes and running gear. The only differences are cosmetic. They are all based on Toyota's Aygo. I would imagine they are built at one plant and shipped uot to their respective badges from there. We have an Aygo and a 107 as run arounds, the 3 cylinder engine on a manual box is surprisingly nippy.
__________________

__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 11:07   #53
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
So, are you saying that Toyota Aygo, Peugot 107 and Citroen C1 are all part of the same group?
They share the same floorpan and shell, engines and gearboxes and running gear. The only differences are cosmetic. They are all based on Toyota's Aygo. I would imagine they are built at one plant and shipped uot to their respective badges from there. We have an Aygo and a 107 as run arounds, the 3 cylinder engine on a manual box is surprisingly nippy.
Not sure if that was a question to me but, if so, no I'm not, though nor am I suggesting that as an example of what RIB builders should do as those three models are all pitched at the pretty much the same market and very similar price points.
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 12:08   #54
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
I`ll keep out of the car who makes what discussion as i dont have much interest or knowledge of vehicles with too many wheels .but would suggest that sharing a hull is far different to sharing a floorpan ,a hull shape has far more to do with its performance/handling that a floorpan in as much as the floorpan can have far different types of running gear to give it different handling ,obviously both can have bigger or smaller engines to vary the performance .but the main component of the boat is the hull and its main handling characteristics
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 12:10   #55
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
the argument for sharing hull designs doesnt really stack up as it is the hull that gives the boat its own particular performance .
I understood it as meaning using the same hull but moving the transom forward so for one mould you could have say three different hull lengths.
I'm not sure how many manufacturers do it but I know Humber do.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 13:34   #56
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Interesting and very valid points, sharing bases, engines and being a bit more modular ( Humber).
If there were two IDENTICAL boats. Let's just say 5m Zodiac/100hp Mariner or an Avon 5m with a 100 Yam.
These would attract very different customers. I would prefer a Zodiac and also a Mariner.
Same stuff as Audi VW SEAT and Skoda now.
It's down to branding and I understand a Zodiac may command a premium.
Say for example ( back to the car world ), a VW Phaeton is a Bentley in drag. Even has the same engine. Bentley owners don't buy into the VW badge.
What this means is that perception of value and prestige has more bearing on purchase than you can fathom. This is branding.
What I'm saying is that the same hulls could sell for wildly different prices esp when packaged with identical engines bearing different logos. Economies of scale and power of bulk purchase.
It's a shot across the bows for home manufacturing...............
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 14:05   #57
Member
 
Country: Belgium
Town: Gent
Boat name: Viking
Make: Tohatsu 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 DTi
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5
Big fat profit margins, that's why!

See msg subject!
__________________
mostergr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 14:19   #58
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostergr View Post
See msg subject!
Ok then, they're not. Get a Chinese manufactured brand new RIB or a ten year old european one and it will be cheap. Simple answer.
A Zodiac is more expensive than the equivalent (sic) X-PRO chinese import and also a Honwave is extremely good value.
Pays yer money takes yer choice.

__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 15:15   #59
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 653
RIBase
Wow! Didn't expect as much debate as this (well, did really).

So, I've learned: -

Hard boats are cheap because they are mass produced and don't hold their vale. Except those imported cheaply when the $ value was poor against the who do hold their vale because they were cheap to start with.

Ribs are expensive because they are bespoke built in the UK, but the current market means they are cheap because people will do anything to get rid of them.

New ribs are expensive because they are fashion items and people will pay a lot of money to out-do their peers. But they are cheap because they will last a long time and out-perform hard boats that are made (in the states) of marzipan!

Rib manufacturers are making a fortune because they are selling bespoke models to feckless idiots who will buy anything that's got a 14" touch screen GPS (and stripey seats). But they also go out of business because the development costs can never be recouped from a niche (bespoke) product and they don't share the costs amongst other manufacturers.

The Chinese are bastards!

Have I got that right?
__________________
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 15:29   #60
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p
a VW Phaeton is a Bentley in drag. Even has the same engine.
Just a teensy weensy bit of an over simplification
__________________

__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.