Old 17 October 2012, 19:34   #61

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Wow! Didn't expect as much debate as this (well, did really).

So, I've learned: -

Hard boats are cheap because they are mass produced and don't hold their vale. Except those imported cheaply when the $ value was poor against the £ who do hold their vale because they were cheap to start with.

Ribs are expensive because they are bespoke built in the UK, but the current market means they are cheap because people will do anything to get rid of them.

New ribs are expensive because they are fashion items and people will pay a lot of money to out-do their peers. But they are cheap because they will last a long time and out-perform hard boats that are made (in the states) of marzipan!

Rib manufacturers are making a fortune because they are selling bespoke models to feckless idiots who will buy anything that's got a 14" touch screen GPS (and stripey seats). But they also go out of business because the development costs can never be recouped from a niche (bespoke) product and they don't share the costs amongst other manufacturers.

The Chinese are bastards!

Have I got that right?
Old 17 October 2012, 19:35   #62

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Just a teensy weensy bit of an over simplification
Not really, the bits that count are identical, engine, running gear, touchy-feely things like switches etc., all but the body.
Old 17 October 2012, 20:04   #63
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Have I got that right?
Largely what I read too. I thought it was Praline, not Marzipan though?
Old 17 October 2012, 20:28   #64

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Danger Donut
Make: 6.0 rib
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner F60efi
Quite a debate.
I guess rib net SR owners are the perfect example ,the very fact they are still solid now and with a little tlc can make a safe fun rib which out performs most modern 4 and 5 meter ribs, is testament to Galt glass and George Marvin who built and designed them from decent materials , some as far back as the 70,s. Can't think of any other brands which have lasted as well from the same period? Early Scorpions possibly.
We have never been a mass producer, we chose to give a premier finish and choice but in relatively small numbers. We can build them from our yard keeping overheads low. If I wanted to increase production I would have to rent or buy another unit more staff probably having to double production for the same profit. I guess walk or sprint if you like. If you sprint it is very hard to slow down, easy to fall!
You can find an import rib at half the price of mine , may last five or six years and then need replacement tubes . If you look at the state of the rest of the boat you will debate weather it is worth spending the money . May be you can't justify purchasing a rib a our prices, but our average client will move the boat on within five years, if we have done our job it will still look good at a vastly reduced price . Some pictures of the Venture 10m ,Vis diesel tender and the new Cutter. All built from scratch in the past 18 months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121017_212450.png
Views:	285
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	73331

Name:	bg13398490556.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	73332

Name:	ForumRunner_20121017_212519.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	73333
Old 17 October 2012, 20:33   #65

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Nice looking boats.
Old 17 October 2012, 21:46   #66

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
The next thread should be... Why are Outboard Engines so Expensive.
Old 17 October 2012, 22:16   #67
NSS

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
The next thread should be... Why are Outboard Engines so Expensive.
Okay, so why are they?
Old 17 October 2012, 22:19   #68

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
The Chinese are bastards!

Have I got that right?
The man with the red pen will be along shortly
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 22:26   #69

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikey dave View Post
the man with the red pen will be along shortly
Old 18 October 2012, 04:07   #70

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
Not really, the bits that count are vaguely similar
, engine, running gear, touchy-feely things like switches etc., all but the body.
There you go ... made it right for you
Old 18 October 2012, 06:48   #71

Town: woking
Boat name: Mid Life Crisis
Make: HM Powerboat
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard, 2 x 400hp
What I don't understand is why prices of new ribs have gone up so much in the last 4 years when we are in the middle of a period of general economic downturn.

I brought a brand new family orientated 7.5 metre rib with 275verado 4 years ago for £38,850, sold it 12 months ago for £32,500, and the cost of a new one today is early £60,000s with price rise due in December.

I understand exchange rates moved which meant imported items like outboards became more expensive, but they are moving back towards were the exchange rates were, so why the 50% increase.

I would like to buy another one but £60,000 is too much.
Old 18 October 2012, 08:19   #72

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
So why are second hand ribs so cheap now, they're everywhere, if new ones are 50% more

I guess more 5.5-6m sold when free credit was available to those with no "real" money. They're now being sold as the owners realise they aren't rich and can't remortgage again! New ones are being sold though to the "real" rich an money is no object. I'll have a 50" plasma GPS with 6 ullmans covered in panda fur on my 7.5m please Jeeves.
Old 18 October 2012, 08:58   #73
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
So why are second hand ribs so cheap now, they're everywhere, if new ones are 50% more

I guess more 5.5-6m sold when free credit was available to those with no "real" money. They're now being sold as the owners realise they aren't rich and can't remortgage again! New ones are being sold though to the "real" rich an money is no object. I'll have a 50" plasma GPS with 6 ullmans covered in panda fur on my 7.5m please Jeeves.
Funny how people have different perceptions. Speaking to one of the sales guys at the yard where I bought my new RIB last month, he said that sales of new RIBs have absolutely plummetted in the last couple of years (perhaps as low as 10-15% of previous numbers), but that their stock of used RIBs turns over very quickly. Net result is that used values/prices are high, but big discounts have to be given to shift new models.
Old 18 October 2012, 10:01   #74

Town: Southampton
I wonder whether boat production will be changed significantly in coming years by the rapid progress of 3D printing?

At the moment, it's used for fairly small stuff, like this 3D manufactured model plane:

Industrial revolution. 3D printing ushers in a new age :: University of Southampton

However, the technology is advancing rapidly and it can only be a matter of time before something the size of a boat hull can be made with it. Obviously, there'd be issues with finding a suitable material that can be fabricated, but actually a boat hull would be almost the perfect thing to make with a 3D printer.

I've seen articles saying you'll be able to print out your own smartphone, etc., but that's way, way off (how on earth would you print out the electronics like nanometre scale silicon chips?). However, a boat hull - only a matter of years, certainly within a decade. Whether it would be seen as being of the same quality as a hand laid up fibreglass hull, who knows...

Gerry
Old 18 October 2012, 11:55   #75

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I wonder whether boat production will be changed significantly in coming years by the rapid progress of 3D printing?

At the moment, it's used for fairly small stuff, like this 3D manufactured model plane:

Industrial revolution. 3D printing ushers in a new age :: University of Southampton

However, the technology is advancing rapidly and it can only be a matter of time before something the size of a boat hull can be made with it. Obviously, there'd be issues with finding a suitable material that can be fabricated, but actually a boat hull would be almost the perfect thing to make with a 3D printer.

I've seen articles saying you'll be able to print out your own smartphone, etc., but that's way, way off (how on earth would you print out the electronics like nanometre scale silicon chips?). However, a boat hull - only a matter of years, certainly within a decade. Whether it would be seen as being of the same quality as a hand laid up fibreglass hull, who knows...

Gerry

Wow, the pace of technology is just amazing. Thats not too far away from stuff we were watching on Sci Fi a few years ago
Old 18 October 2012, 12:38   #76
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

Gerry
Wow, that is pretty amazing! And reading the article, increasing or reducing size is just a case of adjusting scale, so one design of hull could potentially be 'printed' at any length to suit a particular buyer's need. Beam me up Scotty!
Old 18 October 2012, 13:31   #77
RIBnet Supporter

When I got the guided tour of the Whale Pumps plant, they showed us their 3D printer - they spoke very highly of it - they could design and "print" all sorts of small bits and pieces during the design stages of a new product.

donegaldan was VERY impressed with it. He saw great potential for the future, as a kind of 3D fax machine. He said people would "printax" rude things to each other
Old 18 October 2012, 16:46   #78

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
When I got the guided tour of the Whale Pumps plant, they showed us their 3D printer - they spoke very highly of it - they could design and "print" all sorts of small bits and pieces during the design stages of a new product.

donegaldan was VERY impressed with it. He saw great potential for the future, as a kind of 3D fax machine. He said people would "printax" rude things to each other
& now the Higgs Boson has been found (sort of) it's only a matter (matter geddit) of time before the replicators & transporters a'la Star Trek are reality.

PS Still waiting for the red pen man
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 18:01   #79

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
There you go ... made it right for ME [/B]
by changing your quote to put "slightly completely" wrong information in.
Old 18 October 2012, 19:00   #80

Town: manchester
Boat name: nitrox
Make: F-rib
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
RIB COSTS TO PLASTIC BOATS????

put the flecther 238 and a 8mtr rib in the rough stuff and you know why neal

ps my 8mtr rib is still for sale and open to offers 07973442264
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	easter ribnet run 040.jpg