Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 June 2014, 13:41   #51
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
Still off topic,but as the title is unbelievable ribbers how about, as well as making kill chords and life jackets compulsory, bringing in mot's for trailers.

Those loons with boats full of beer, kids, and no life jackets are most likely to be the same ones we see on the hard shoulders up and down the country. They,ll be minus a wheel having ploughed a stripe through the Tarmac with the stub axle.

To be fair, killchord and life jacket has always been a no brainier for me. However, a complete beginner may not even know what a killchord is! And without mot's how would a person new to boating know that filling your boat with fuel and camping gear and dipping it in saltwater is going to get you 12 months from your bearings!?!

Nobody told me.......actually the AA man told me the second time it happened! Ok. It was pre internet and I had no boating friends at the time but nevertheless an extremely dangerous learning curve, that could have killed my family and other innocent road users. Education and legislation that's what I say.
Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords? What do you think?
You might find this interesting....
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 14:46   #52
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Well thanks everyone that's cleared all that up to a newbie !!!

my eldest daughter challenged some lads into jumping off the end of the harbour at craighouse on jura a few years ago . It was pissing it down and cold (mid summer on jura ) should I have;

Stopped her and half the lads that did it

Made them wear a wet suit

Made them wear half a wet suit

Made them have BA ( presumably this means breathing apparatus ) no I am not really that thick but abbreviation can be misleading .

let them do it but give them the nspcc hotline number

Let them do it but give the survivors the number







Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________

__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 14:54   #53
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Well thanks everyone that's cleared all that up to a newbie !!!

my eldest daughter challenged some lads into jumping off the end of the harbour at craighouse on jura a few years ago . It was pissing it down and cold (mid summer on jura ) should I have;

Stopped her and half the lads that did it

Made them wear a wet suit

Made them wear half a wet suit

Made them have BA ( presumably this means breathing apparatus ) no I am not really that thick but abbreviation can be misleading .

let them do it but give them the nspcc hotline number

Let them do it but give the survivors the number







Sent from my iPad using RIB Net

You are over complicating it. Just do what the rest of us responsible parents do.......................

Go to the pub and leave them to it (Making sure you are not wearing half a wetsuit in case you drown in the pubs fish tank)
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 15:00   #54
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Sh1t obviously went to the pub with wet suit on . Had to roll it down to the waste as I couldn't get my crisp crumbs out .


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 15:30   #55
Member
 
Barrowboy's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,161
RIBase
Perhaps now's not the time to mention the occasion I jumped off my yacht mid-Atlantic stark bollox naked with no life jacket - just because I could?














Checked that boarding ladder was down and threw 50 metres of line overboard first, attached to a couple of fenders.

Happy days indeed.
__________________
Barrowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 15:36   #56
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Perhaps now's not the time to mention the occasion I jumped off my yacht mid-Atlantic stark bollox naked with no life jacket - just because I could?














Checked that boarding ladder was down and threw 50 metres of line overboard first, attached to a couple of fenders.

Happy days indeed.
I hope that you had a good few pints before you did it
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 15:39   #57
Member
 
bingosucks's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 547
there are some knob jockeys out there , out with wibs and desperado for fuel a big rib dives into a spot im waiting for what a clown i get to go round the other side of the fueling pontoon and a clown in a row boat heading for his yacht only the currents too strong for him .. thankfully on pb2 we were worked hard on pontoons it took 3 attempts and they were slow but i was reet proud of meself

the following outing i break down trying to get back to warsash ( and if you were the rib taxi many thanks for your chaperone) a complete knob jockey in a bayliner slams past me to make the fishermans pontoon before me `i was committed` great knumb knots i`ve got feck all power btw that 6ft6in bloke next to you is wibs with another 6ft bloke trevor lawson and i`m in a reet bad mood .....yes not so confident now are we ?

the moral i guess is i still know nothing but practice practice practice and a big thanks to fellow ribbers who take the time to make sure we get things right including recovering 3 times because it wasn`t good enough the first !
__________________
bingosucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 15:51   #58
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
there are some knob jockeys out there , out with wibs and desperado for fuel a big rib dives into a spot im waiting for what a clown i get to go round the other side of the fueling pontoon and a clown in a row boat heading for his yacht only the currents too strong for him .. thankfully on pb2 we were worked hard on pontoons it took 3 attempts and they were slow but i was reet proud of meself

the following outing i break down trying to get back to warsash ( and if you were the rib taxi many thanks for your chaperone) a complete knob jockey in a bayliner slams past me to make the fishermans pontoon before me `i was committed` great knumb knots i`ve got feck all power btw that 6ft6in bloke next to you is wibs with another 6ft bloke trevor lawson and i`m in a reet bad mood .....yes not so confident now are we ?

the moral i guess is i still know nothing but practice practice practice and a big thanks to fellow ribbers who take the time to make sure we get things right including recovering 3 times because it wasn`t good enough the first !

Just when it thought I was learning the lingo . Understood 10 % of that !


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 15:52   #59
Member
 
cjj216's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 123
Kerny: interesting poll. I abstained from this one as my thoughts would be compulsory education - somewhere in the middle of the two poll options.

We should probably bear in mind that most voters would have been experienced boaters. With an outboard, aux, and trailer in good mechanical order regardless of age, a killchord fitted and life jackets for all. I'd guess they'd all have a pretty good idea of the consequences if any of these were neglected.

My thinking is that if someone with no experience finds himself with some spare cash decides he'd like a RIB or speedboat for this years holiday. There's nothing in place to stop him putting a cool box full of wine and Stella onboard with his wife and kids and going full throttle without even knowing what a kill chord, trim switch, aux engine is.

If he gets away with that he'll winch it on to a trailer that may not be up to scratch and drag it up the motorway at 60mph.

I'd guess the people referred to by the OP are probably not bad parents. After all, they're taking the family on a holiday and they've even bought a boat to ride around in.
They've maybe never heard of a killchord and never imagined the consequences of one of the kids falling in without a life jacket, even moored on a pontoon.

They are probably guilty of being a bit thoughtless, irresponsible, naive. Compulsory education with maybe actual footage or MAIB and police reports demonstrating the consequences of being uneducated in charge of a boat would definitely save lives IMO.
__________________
cjj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 16:06   #60
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
Kerny: interesting poll. I abstained from this one as my thoughts would be compulsory education - somewhere in the middle of the two poll options.

We should probably bear in mind that most voters would have been experienced boaters. With an outboard, aux, and trailer in good mechanical order regardless of age, a killchord fitted and life jackets for all. I'd guess they'd all have a pretty good idea of the consequences if any of these were neglected.

My thinking is that if someone with no experience finds himself with some spare cash decides he'd like a RIB or speedboat for this years holiday. There's nothing in place to stop him putting a cool box full of wine and Stella onboard with his wife and kids and going full throttle without even knowing what a kill chord, trim switch, aux engine is.

If he gets away with that he'll winch it on to a trailer that may not be up to scratch and drag it up the motorway at 60mph.

I'd guess the people referred to by the OP are probably not bad parents. After all, they're taking the family on a holiday and they've even bought a boat to ride around in.
They've maybe never heard of a killchord and never imagined the consequences of one of the kids falling in without a life jacket, even moored on a pontoon.

They are probably guilty of being a bit thoughtless, irresponsible, naive. Compulsory education with maybe actual footage or MAIB and police reports demonstrating the consequences of being uneducated in charge of a boat would definitely save lives IMO.
Common sense (although not so common these days) is the main saviour, also the engine will not start without the kc although it does need to be attached to the person which I would have thought was obvious.

Anyway's deaths and serious injury in leisure boating accidents in the UK are far and few between... unlike cars where there is legislation. I will leave it there because this subject has been thrashed already.
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.