Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
That's the word that counts!!! Experience!!! I learnt far more from my instructor AFTER the course was over when we went out for a play!!!

Bet I will learn quite a bit bringing my boat back from Guernsey in October!!!

I will shortly be doing my first aid course - have done plenty of them in the past but to be honest a waste of time without the experience which you will NEVER have until you do it for real - I may know how to tie off an artery and perform an emergency tracheoctomy but don't think I would be much good if I had to do it for real - one sight of blood or a needle and I am a goner!!!
ok i am confused....why do a first aid course if you have done plenty and they are a waste of time? first aid...waste of time without experience....who are you going to practice on to get experience? ? hopefully first aid training will give you the benefit of knowing what to do in the unfortunate situation of either standing there like some spare part, or doing something useful to help the person and not doing something that might kill them or increase the injurys! so in my book very useful to know if.....if you have to put it into practice

also you keep saying training is not that useful but experience is best........are you one of these people with no qualifications or had no training with a chip on their shoulder?

i was an aircraft engineer for 10 years, i wasnt experienced but was trained what to do and how they work, i did not have the benefit of fiddling with my dads Jet at the weekends so it was classroom and practical.

sooo

experience is great, even experienced people can benefit from further training. Classroom training is great for some but is often more benefit when coupled with a practical session to put the theory into practice!!!!! then repeated practice in different situations makes an experienced person
Old 29 September 2005, 20:48   #42

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911
10 years driving, no (own fault) accidents, full no claims bonus
Like this bloke in the yellow car?

Quote:
bringing my boat back from Guernsey in October!!!
That's just 26 hours and 15 minutes away! I hope Des has got planty of ketchup to go with his RNLI hat
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2005, 22:14   #43

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
ok i am confused....why do a first aid course if you have done plenty and they are a waste of time? first aid...waste of time without experience....who are you going to practice on to get experience? ? hopefully first aid training will give you the benefit of knowing what to do in the unfortunate situation of either standing there like some spare part, or doing something useful to help the person and not doing something that might kill them or increase the injurys! so in my book very useful to know if.....if you have to put it into practice

also you keep saying training is not that useful but experience is best........are you one of these people with no qualifications or had no training with a chip on their shoulder?
The ONLY reason i am taking a first aid course is because I have to as I wish to become commercially endorsed next year.

I DO have qualifications - a First class honours degree in Physics amongst others BUT i don't hold much score by them. I have people coming to me for jobs with all these magic bits of paper who don't have a bloody clue. On the other hand some of the best employees we have don't possess many formal qualifications.

My brother is a classic example - due to health probs he left school with NO qualifications of any description - and yet he is THE best computer guru I have ever come across - wherever he has worked everyone respects him for what he KNOWS. He has done several Cisco adn Microsoft exams as I have but gave up on them as pretty pointless because so many people are taught how to pass exams without really having a clue as to what is really going on!!!
Old 29 September 2005, 22:17   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Like this bloke in the yellow car?

That's just 26 hours and 15 minutes away! I hope Des has got planty of ketchup to go with his RNLI hat
They haven't told me WHEN in October though!!! Supposed to be getting a definite date on Monday - we will see!!!

Again that video is a classic - trouble is if there had been no witnesses around the coach driver would have been at fault as he would have rammed the car!!!
Old 29 September 2005, 22:34   #45

Quote:
managed to get myself a 1st in Astrophysics
Quote:
I DO have qualifications - a First class honours degree in Physics
Which? Physics or Astrophysics? What University?

Quote:
Microsoft exams... I have but gave up on them as pretty pointless...
Really? Everyone I know who says that has a chip on their shoulder - because they can't or won't do the exams.

They open doors. Believe me, they really do!
Old 29 September 2005, 22:48   #46

Quote:
Which? Physics or Astrophysics? What University?

Really? Everyone I know who says that has a chip on their shoulder - because they can't or won't do the exams.

They open doors. Believe me, they really do!
It was Physics with Astronomy. In Swansea.

I admit I WONT do the exams any more - only because I find them so pointless and a waste of money - between us my brother and I have about 12 of them - also various Cisco exams. Never been on a course or anything - just read up on them and paid for the exams.

I have actually come across people who have done some of the exams who just haven't had a clue - really bad. Some of them had sat them in India - either the standards are different or else it is true that some people pay others to sit the exams for them!!! having said that some of the British people who had done them were just as useless.

It is like the number of people doing degrees these days. Media studies for example. I know a few radio DJs and what they say about such people is unprintable - put on you CV that you have a degree in media studies and you are guaranteed NOT to get a job with the media!!! Having said that maybe they would do a better job!!!
Old 29 September 2005, 22:50   #47

By the way for anyone who DOES want to do the exams i would suggest looking at the CBT Nuggets - brilliant home study material - forget expensive courses!!!
Old 29 September 2005, 22:58   #48

Quote:
By the way for anyone who DOES want to do the exams i would suggest looking at the CBT Nuggets - brilliant home study material - forget expensive courses!!!
If they are that good, and you know that from experience, then surely you would have passed all the exams?
I don't have a personal view on CBT Nuggets as I haven't used them myself, but I was told by a good source that they are a completely useless waste of cash. You pay your money and make your choice!
Old 29 September 2005, 23:01   #49

Quote:
It was Physics with Astronomy. In Swansea.
BSc? What year did you graduate?
Old 29 September 2005, 23:02   #50

Quote:
If they are that good, and you know that from experience, then surely you would have passed all the exams?
I don't have a personal view on CBT Nuggets as I haven't used them myself, but I was told by a good source that they are a completely useless waste of cash. You pay your money and make your choice!
I DID pass all the exams - never had below 90% but that is not the point!!!

That good source can't have used them then - or else maybe they suit people like me better who learns far better alone!!!

As to a waste of money - er well umm.............
Old 29 September 2005, 23:04   #51

Quote:
I DID pass all the exams
So you can post a link to your online transcript?
Old 29 September 2005, 23:16   #52

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Oi Codders - falling off a soapbox can damage your health!

I've met thick people with degrees, and thick people without degrees - I've also met clever people with degrees and clever people without degrees. Nonetheless I wouldn't wish to start decrying the pinciple of certifying accredited qualifications. Mind you I don't have a first class degree in Astrology from Swansea...
Old 29 September 2005, 23:18   #53

Quote:
So you can post a link to your online transcript?
????

Have never bothered with that - if I had i wouldn't want my info bandied about on here anyway!!!

Why would I lie about passing exams that I don't feel were worth doing???

I haven't asked you about what exams you have done and if you told me I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of checking up on you!!! Our clients are more than happy with our expertise and that is what counts!!!!

I wonder what exams Mr Gates has passed - does anyone CARE???
Old 29 September 2005, 23:20   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Oi Codders - falling off a soapbox can damage your health!

I've met thick people with degrees, and thick people without degrees - I've also met clever people with degrees and clever people without degrees. Nonetheless I wouldn't wish to start decrying the pinciple of certifying accredited qualifications. Mind you I don't have a first class degree in Astrology from Swansea...
I totally agree with most of that - ALL I am trying to say is that qualifications carry too much weight and experience should count for more - surely I am not the only person who thinks that???
Old 29 September 2005, 23:27   #55

Quote:
????

Have never bothered with that
OK, let's just accept that you haven't passed any Microsoft exams shall we, and move on?
Quote:
I haven't asked you about what exams you have done and if you told me I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of checking up on you!!!
You can ask if you want, but remember that I didn't bring the subject up, and I didn't get on my high horse about the value of qualifications. And I didn't start making vague claims about how many certifications I hold. If you, or anyone else asks, I will give you a straight answer, and one that I can corroborate on Microsoft's web site. You couldn't check up on me if you tried, because the information is confidential until I release it. But I can save you the bother... you only have to ask
Old 29 September 2005, 23:37   #56

Quote:
OK, let's just accept that you haven't passed any Microsoft exams shall we, and move on?
Why not - they are a waste of time anyway........

Obviously only super humans like you are capable of passing such elitist exams - God I feel SO inferior......
Old 29 September 2005, 23:42   #57

Wrong! I'm just 1 in 27,000 or so.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certified.asp
Old 29 September 2005, 23:50   #58

Quote:
Wrong! I'm just 1 in 27,000 or so.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certified.asp
That's for 2003 - look at 2000 and there are 272,000!!!

In total there are over 1.6 million Microsoft certified pros out there.....
Old 30 September 2005, 06:39   #59

Quote:
That's for 2003.....
Which is what my certification is

You're very fickle in your reasoning, one minute you state that a qualification is elitist, then thirteen minutes later you seem to want to imply that there are more more MS certified professionals

But we agreed to move on.

You failed to answer if your degree is a BSc or MSc - I'll assume that it BSc as I could be wrong, but you just pass a Masters?

And you didn't reply to your year of graduation.

That would be interesting to know, as Swansea don't currently do Physics with Astronomy.

http://www2.swan.ac.uk/courses/physics/index.htm
Old 30 September 2005, 08:17   #60

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
????

Have never bothered with that - if I had i wouldn't want my info bandied about on here anyway!!!

Why would I lie about passing exams that I don't feel were worth doing???

I haven't asked you about what exams you have done and if you told me I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of checking up on you!!! Our clients are more than happy with our expertise and that is what counts!!!!

I wonder what exams Mr Gates has passed - does anyone CARE???
hey codders

take a different sign on name as if you were new to this site and read up on the individual codprawn, the impression that person gives is being an expert on everything and who keeps going down some tracks of others expertise but then goes quiet on the subject for chance of being sussed.

You do give the impression of being a bit of a billy bull$hiŁŁer and a lot of the folks on here play with you, whether you realise it or not........just a personal observation.

also you seem to get excited over some things that might not be expected..

soo......who is the real codders........give us a sneaky preview?

come on out mr Cod your time is up!!!

You might be totally genuine and it is just the way you write some things...

meee ...alas just a simple fellow