Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
The ebay scammer is back.

He's persistent...anyone else fancy a play? I'm winning one of them at the moment...

He's 'selling' a 90hp merc so make sure no-one from here gets sucked in by this scum.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...406249&frm=284

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2005, 22:12   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
If he shit on you so badly, why did you only leave neutral feedback? Rather than a full negative kick in the nuts?!
Old 05 September 2005, 22:27   #3
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
That wasn't me he shit on.

He didn't catch me- I'm far too clever for that-and besides, I think like a criminal. I hate watching innocent people getting taken for a ride by thieves like this. I'm winning one of his auctions at the moment and will leave appropriate feedback as soon as the auction ends as a warning for others.

The deal with him is this:-he will insist on advance payment and won't allow viewing of the item. If you ask to view/collect in person he'll just ignore you.

You won't receive anything after payment.

A previous ID he used was 3454jane -check the feedback on that. ID's I expect him to use in the not too distant future are:-
Jambograz jjcgw rmwflower bencolbeck leighm3261 itsfun2buyonline theonlytexaspete sukhyrai momclwulff

These ALL appear to have been stolen by him using the ebay frontpage exploit phishing email that was being sent out in July.With a little bit of detective work it's easy to see.

General warning to everyone-(even gArf) DON'T EVER pay for an ebay item via bank transfer. DON'T contact these scammers directly either as they will probably attempt to brute force any paypal account associated with the email address they get. Use ebay's 'send a message ' system and hide your email.

Old 05 September 2005, 22:49   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Just come across this - didn't have time to read the thread before - think it was time I started to have a little fun..........
Old 05 September 2005, 22:52   #5
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Cool. I'm winning the 1st auction to end-leave me to that one and play with the other 2...make that 3...he's got another one up.

Incidentally, all the scams are direct text/picture copies from smalloutboards.com

Old 06 September 2005, 05:47   #6

Ebay should be informed in no uncertain terms, My Ex runs an Ebay based business, they are totally crap when it comes to being contacted re. a buyer/seller problem. They hide behind endless email addresses. You cannot speak to anyone. Their commision rates are extorsion also. No Ebay fan me :-) Another ploy to stop the scammer is to contact anyone that has bid on his outboards and warn them. The problem with bidding and not paying is that Ebay can issue a non-payment "Strike" against you.
Old 06 September 2005, 06:12   #7

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
If you speak to this chap - he runs early-warning.org and www.reportauctionfraud.co.uk

His name is andrew and his number is 0870 8744999
http://www.early-warning.org

He attempts to stop scammers and fraudsters and receives very little help from the banks and threats of legal action from ebay!

He maybe able to get a press release about the outboard fraudster and make ebay do something about it.

I spoke to him yesterday and suggested a "Ebay makes money from scammers" headline on the basis that they get the commission plus the paypal fees. He is looking into it.

He contacted the banks and offered a direct feed into their system with compromised card details (before the bank knows about them), they replied "what do you want us to do about them?", they then replied they didn't have the resources.!

As there is *no* way of reporting mail order credit card fraud in the Uk (unless you are the customer) it's easy to say the least.

A recent fraudster was doing card fraud at the same address for 4 years! After a lot of work with early warning and ourselves four people are helping police with their enquiries and £200,000 goods were seized.

Looks like the Uk might overtake Nigeria as the fraud capital of the world.
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2005, 08:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Cool. I'm winning the 1st auction to end-leave me to that one and play with the other 2...make that 3...he's got another one up.

Incidentally, all the scams are direct text/picture copies from smalloutboards.com
If you leave a massive bid on all the stuff that he's listed ie £10k you'll win them all. It'll only show one bid higher than the next highest bid, so it wont be obvious for a while what you're doing.
Old 06 September 2005, 10:46   #9

Length: no boat
What are the EBay item numbers???
Old 06 September 2005, 10:57   #10

Town: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
What are the EBay item numbers???

then click on sellers other items for the rest
Old 06 September 2005, 11:01   #11

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Old 06 September 2005, 17:34   #12
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Add another hacked account to avoid...

The scammer's just left himself positive feedback via the account name jessen_christian -remember to hang on to the ID's just in case.

Just got an email warning me about the scammer-cheers to whoever's sending them. I've done the same but only had one reply. I suspect the poor deluded fools think I'm trying to keep the price down so I get a bargain.

Old 06 September 2005, 19:31   #13

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
Funny. His Nissan 25 hp is located in Florida. HAHAHA

http://i12.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/df/72/c3_1_b.JPG
Old 06 September 2005, 20:03   #14

Town: Narberth
Boat name: jumbo
Make: no idea
Engine: looking for one
Whoops!

I've been bidding on one of these motors too, Phew! thanks for the message.
Just been outbid, Yipee!
I'll keep an eye on them with interest, thanks again
Old 06 September 2005, 20:21   #15
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
Ebay should be informed in no uncertain terms, My Ex runs an Ebay based business, they are totally crap when it comes to being contacted re. a buyer/seller problem. They hide behind endless email addresses. You cannot speak to anyone. Their commision rates are extorsion also. No Ebay fan me :-) Another ploy to stop the scammer is to contact anyone that has bid on his outboards and warn them. The problem with bidding and not paying is that Ebay can issue a non-payment "Strike" against you.

Ebay HAVE been informed-here's the text of the email I sent them.

Report problems with other eBay members > Fraud concerns for sellers > The problem you're having with fraud isn't listed

Member or Item being reported: 4573603397

Message: YET AGAIN I find myself stating the obvious to you.

This is being sold from a hacked account by a fraudster-the same guy who has defrauded people out of THOUSANDS via your site. ALL items this seller has listed are not in his posession as they are in FLORIDA at AFA marine (www.smalloutboards.com), who have also contacted you to have these auctions removed. Your persistence in ignoring this is astounding. REMOVE THESE ITEMS and CLOSE THE FOLLOWING ACCOUNTS:- Jambograz jjcgw rmwflower bencolbeck leighm3261 itsfun2buyonline theonlytexaspete sukhyrai momclwulff

ALL the above accounts have been stolen by this fraudster-probably via the ebay frontpage exploit phishing email that was going around in July.

If you persist in this stupidity then I shall have no choice but to send a copy of this email to all the fraud victims of this guy so they can use it as proof you were fully aware of his activities for future legal action.

Old 06 September 2005, 20:28   #16
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
Funny. His Nissan 25 hp is located in Florida. HAHAHA

http://i12.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/df/72/c3_1_b.JPG
Yep-like I said, they are all adverts stolen from AFA marine in Florida's website. AFA marine have reported him too but as usual Ebay are more interested in shoving their heads up their own a**es.

BTW Ebay don't actually stand to gain from these frauds-the way the scammer is asking for payment is via BANK TRANSFER only so he doesn't have to use a paypal account. He couldn't possibly verify one to be able to transfer the cash out of paypal's system-and there's absolutely no way he's paying to place the listings.

Here's a useful tip:-

If you want to check if an ebay ad for a high value or 2nd hand item is genuine, copy a small block of text from the advert (10 words or so) into google for the whole web and search for it.Do this with the most descriptive text you can find (for example with the 35hp merc this guy is selling I googled <This engine only weighs 150lbs so it will work with most of your small and large boats! It is a long shaft 20". This> and the 1st search result was AFA marine's own advert for the same...) Try it 2 or 3 times if you get no results 1st time. These scammers generally don't know anything much about the items they are listing so won't change much so as not to make it obvious.
Ignore bad grammar at either end of the listing text-that's the only bit I've seen that they DO change.

Old 06 September 2005, 20:51   #17

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
1.Get is banks details on the premise of a bank transfer payment, then give these details to all of the nigerian scam idiots and alike, he will have thousands payed into his account for a short time, bank get nervous,
2. Get his mobile number then register online for a few ring tones ect ect it will cost lots and lots (make sure you use the scam ones)
3. send email to him with image sourced from your webspace, clock his .ip address from your web server stats and use this to trace his isp, then report to them
3(a) use the i.p address to hack his computer (details on how to not availiable
4. if you get his email we could all email a few mb's each causing his account to fry
5.Use the phising technique's with the info you have about him e.g banks details
Old 06 September 2005, 21:04   #18

If we bid, win and obviously don't pay. He gets clobbered for the commision charge regardless. It happened to me, A girl bought a £1250 sailing dinghy from me, didn't pay and I got caught for £68 worth of Ebay fees!! So on a £1000 outboard ,He'd be hit for approx £55. It's interesting to hear other's experiences with Ebay. They're monopolistic shite!
Old 06 September 2005, 21:11   #19

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Isn't that how the schoolkids that sold their headteacher's Mondeo got clobbered? Some joker bid a £million....
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2005, 21:13   #20
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker
1.Get is banks details on the premise of a bank transfer payment, then give these details to all of the nigerian scam idiots and alike, he will have thousands payed into his account for a short time, bank get nervous,
2. Get his mobile number then register online for a few ring tones ect ect it will cost lots and lots (make sure you use the scam ones)
3. send email to him with image sourced from your webspace, clock his .ip address from your web server stats and use this to trace his isp, then report to them
3(a) use the i.p address to hack his computer (details on how to not availiable
4. if you get his email we could all email a few mb's each causing his account to fry
5.Use the phising technique's with the info you have about him e.g banks details
Unfortunately none of this will work.

1)To get his mobile number he'll also get YOUR details-then he can start Identity theft etc...and the phone numbers he used last time are fake anyway. Ebay don't check them.

2)He's using server-based webmail for email so all you'll get is the server IP. The last one was a Yahoo email. HE won't keep an email for longer than it takes to get the money then changes it-and he won't give it out til after the auction anyway.

3) He's probably using phished bank details-then taking cash out from cash machines or transferring it out of the country through several accounts and then withdrawing it. That's how I'd do it anyway....
The account he was using last time was UK based and this guy is blatantly not from the UK-if he was then he'd have enough 'local knowledge' not to use florida plates on a UK ebay advert-or bad photoshop techniques on 'personalised plate sales'....see below.

and the 'car' it came from...

And links to the items-see the last 2 feedback recvd...

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...erid=jambograz

4) This guy is CLEVER-and if anyone DOES get his IP then unless you know how to make your IP completely untraceable DON'T try and hack him-he's clever enough to use an exploit on Ebay's own front page. Expect trouble if you try it.

5) The nigerian 419 scams don't work like that. Check them out on 419eater.com to get a feel for their MO.