Old 21 December 2002, 09:18   #1

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Ribbing

Hi everybody, newbie here.

I have sat on the sideline for a few weeks, getting a feel for the site. You guys certainly know your stuff when it comes to ribs.

I've recently purchased my first secondhand rib, and I'm busy putting a few things right, and fitting a new engine to it.

Any advice that you could give me on the correct set up would be much appreciated.

I'm not new to boating, having spent many years playing around with powerboats, and although I still have a boat, my wife has asked me to buy a toy for pottering about.

I'm sure my rib will be fine for coastal work, skiing etc, but for the distance stuff and rough weather I shall still use my powerboat.

Regards

Dirk

Old 21 December 2002, 09:25   #2

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Welcome Dirk, sorry I know bu..er all about Ribs, but perhaps you could give me some powerboat tips in a PM. I take delivery at the end of Feb, any useful tips would be appreciated.

Pete

Old 21 December 2002, 09:26   #3

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Dirk

Welcome to Ribnet and Happy Christmas.

Like you I have "played" with most types but nothing comes close to the fun we have had with Ribs.

You dont say how big your RIB or powerboat is but I would not be supprised that after a short while you will be saying

I'm sure my powerbaot will be fine for coastal work, skiing etc, but for the distance stuff and rough weather I shall still use my RIB.

As you say there is not much that is not know about RIBS on here, welcome and enjoy.

All the Best Gary
Old 21 December 2002, 09:42   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Hi Dirk

I take my turn to wellcome you to the forum.
I am sure that you will find it (as I did) most interesting and some of the chat VERY useful .
I had SIBs, RIBs, power boats and sailing boats since I was 12 years old (started with a ZODIAC CADET - it was called @ the time) 3.3 mtrs with 9.9. Johnson on it. That boat should had given it to Zodiac to put on a display LOLOL and progressed to RIBs, Sailing and power (Sunseeker Carmague was the last power boat I had). Now I just have a sailing cat and a RIB.
Any way, I would be delighted to help you but I believe like the others more info is needed i.e.
how big is the boat?
what is it? (RIB or power boat),
if a power boat what short of type/make,
if a RIB what make,
what engine have you got on it?,
how old is it?
what you want to use it for, just pottering about or make some short or long distance cruising?
Will you use it in the UK or you plan to take it abroad?
If you are taking it abroad where do you plan to go? (although in Europe all are EEC countries each country has diffrent requirements related to pleasure craft).
There are too many things but any way have a think about and
let us know.
Have a Merry Christmas

Cheers
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2002, 10:27   #5

Reply 2 Manos

Thanks for your reply, excellent forum.

I have used the sportsboat forum a few times but find it most unfriendly and unhelpful, unlike the response I have already had on this forum.

My rib is a falcon, possibly similar to yours. I have purchased it s/h, in a bit of a state with a few punctures and a bit of fibreglass damage. I,m currently repairing the glasswork, but I'm not sure where to get the tube repaired.

The rib is a few years old, and I believe it has seen service as a tender, as I would imagine most ribs do. I have purhased a 115 Mercury 4 stroke, and shall be fitting that early in the New Year. Any idea on an X height. My powerboat runs at 5 inches, but I wonder if that would be too much for my rib.

My intention is to use it in the Solent area, waterskiing, cruising etc, maybe a hop over to the folly if the weather is kind. Who knows, if the sea conditions allow I would love to have a few trips along the coast to Poole & Swanage.

I'm fairly experienced in all types of boating, but I have never owned a rib before so I'm unsure on a few of the "tweaks" that I imagine you all have done to your ribs.

I can't see me taking the rib abroad, having done quite a lot of boating overseas, Italy, Spain, Greek Islands etc, I feel the rib would have it's limitations. But I do intend to use as much as poss evenings and the odd weekend. I might even tow it to a few race venues throughout the coming season.
Old 21 December 2002, 11:07   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Dirk
Clearly, welcome to this forum.

However, I am intrigued. Perhaps you can clear something up for me?
A 7m Falcon with a 115hp outboard is a very sound and competant combination. Consequently I would have thought it quite capable of some serious long-range cruising (assuming proper equipment etc.). Certainly as a sea going vessel, it is potentially more competant than your average slab-sided gin palace.
So what are you comparing your rib to?
What is your "powerboat"?
Why do you think the powerboat better than the rib for offshore cruising?
Old 21 December 2002, 11:49   #7

reply 2 brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the welcome, hope I haven't offended anybody on my first day.

My other boat is a 35' offshore powerboat, made in the good old US of A, powered by a pair of 8.2 litre Mercruisers. The reason for me implying that this boat is more suitable than my rib for extended passages is as follows:

Many times on a long or extended voyage such as one of my frequent trips to the Channel Islands or France, I have been a victim in the change of weather. Having to spend a night or two in a marina is no great hardship when you have a six foot vee berth, galley, toilet etc. I don't think that I would be very comfortable on my 7 metre rib.

Now I know that a 9 or 10 metre Scorpion would also be ideal, but you would have to agree that these examples are actually boats with a very fat fender.

As for sea keeping, half way between Cherbourg and Poole in a force 6 is not the place to be in a small rib, where as my powerboat with its high topsides and solid construction is IMHO fine.

Have you never wondered why the RNLI only use ribs inshore?
Old 21 December 2002, 12:09   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Uh oh, take cover Dirk - I reckon you might have lit the blue touch paper, so it's time to stand back...
Old 21 December 2002, 12:20   #9

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
When is a Rib not a Rib?

Does anyone know if I could fit tubes to my new boat It would be a good idea, the best of both worlds.

Does anyone know what makes a Scorpion classify itself as a Rib? it's just interesting hearing what Dirk has to say, he does have a point in IMHO

Spirit of Cardiff looked Rib'ish, I guess if there is no definition of what one is, you just do your own thing. Does it really matter anyway, as long as you are safe and having fun

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 12:35   #10

Town: bournmouth
The way I see it, ribs, or rhib's to be more accurate, don't acquire any superhuman sea keeping purely through having a bit of pumped up rubber round the outside, the sea keeping has to derive from hull design, balance of the setup, drive configuration etc, after all, we are talking about a planing hull, the tubes do very little other than give stability at displacement speeds, make it nice to moor up, and, if all else fails you have a bit of wreckage that might stay afloat to cling to until the brave boys in orange arrive! (in a rigid boat of course, as dirk rightly points out)