Old 21 December 2002, 13:18   #1

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Ribbing

Hi everybody, newbie here.

I have sat on the sideline for a few weeks, getting a feel for the site. You guys certainly know your stuff when it comes to ribs.

I've recently purchased my first secondhand rib, and I'm busy putting a few things right, and fitting a new engine to it.

Any advice that you could give me on the correct set up would be much appreciated.

I'm not new to boating, having spent many years playing around with powerboats, and although I still have a boat, my wife has asked me to buy a toy for pottering about.

I'm sure my rib will be fine for coastal work, skiing etc, but for the distance stuff and rough weather I shall still use my powerboat.

Regards

Dirk
Old 21 December 2002, 13:25   #2

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Welcome Dirk, sorry I know bu..er all about Ribs, but perhaps you could give me some powerboat tips in a PM. I take delivery at the end of Feb, any useful tips would be appreciated.

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 13:26   #3

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Dirk

Welcome to Ribnet and Happy Christmas.

Like you I have "played" with most types but nothing comes close to the fun we have had with Ribs.

You dont say how big your RIB or powerboat is but I would not be supprised that after a short while you will be saying

I'm sure my powerbaot will be fine for coastal work, skiing etc, but for the distance stuff and rough weather I shall still use my RIB.

As you say there is not much that is not know about RIBS on here, welcome and enjoy.

All the Best Gary
Old 21 December 2002, 13:42   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Hi Dirk

I take my turn to wellcome you to the forum.
I am sure that you will find it (as I did) most interesting and some of the chat VERY useful .
I had SIBs, RIBs, power boats and sailing boats since I was 12 years old (started with a ZODIAC CADET - it was called @ the time) 3.3 mtrs with 9.9. Johnson on it. That boat should had given it to Zodiac to put on a display LOLOL and progressed to RIBs, Sailing and power (Sunseeker Carmague was the last power boat I had). Now I just have a sailing cat and a RIB.
Any way, I would be delighted to help you but I believe like the others more info is needed i.e.
how big is the boat?
what is it? (RIB or power boat),
if a power boat what short of type/make,
if a RIB what make,
what engine have you got on it?,
how old is it?
what you want to use it for, just pottering about or make some short or long distance cruising?
Will you use it in the UK or you plan to take it abroad?
If you are taking it abroad where do you plan to go? (although in Europe all are EEC countries each country has diffrent requirements related to pleasure craft).
There are too many things but any way have a think about and
let us know.
Have a Merry Christmas

Cheers
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2002, 14:27   #5

Reply 2 Manos

Thanks for your reply, excellent forum.

I have used the sportsboat forum a few times but find it most unfriendly and unhelpful, unlike the response I have already had on this forum.

My rib is a falcon, possibly similar to yours. I have purchased it s/h, in a bit of a state with a few punctures and a bit of fibreglass damage. I,m currently repairing the glasswork, but I'm not sure where to get the tube repaired.

The rib is a few years old, and I believe it has seen service as a tender, as I would imagine most ribs do. I have purhased a 115 Mercury 4 stroke, and shall be fitting that early in the New Year. Any idea on an X height. My powerboat runs at 5 inches, but I wonder if that would be too much for my rib.

My intention is to use it in the Solent area, waterskiing, cruising etc, maybe a hop over to the folly if the weather is kind. Who knows, if the sea conditions allow I would love to have a few trips along the coast to Poole & Swanage.

I'm fairly experienced in all types of boating, but I have never owned a rib before so I'm unsure on a few of the "tweaks" that I imagine you all have done to your ribs.

I can't see me taking the rib abroad, having done quite a lot of boating overseas, Italy, Spain, Greek Islands etc, I feel the rib would have it's limitations. But I do intend to use as much as poss evenings and the odd weekend. I might even tow it to a few race venues throughout the coming season.
Old 21 December 2002, 15:07   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Dirk
Clearly, welcome to this forum.

However, I am intrigued. Perhaps you can clear something up for me?
A 7m Falcon with a 115hp outboard is a very sound and competant combination. Consequently I would have thought it quite capable of some serious long-range cruising (assuming proper equipment etc.). Certainly as a sea going vessel, it is potentially more competant than your average slab-sided gin palace.
So what are you comparing your rib to?
What is your "powerboat"?
Why do you think the powerboat better than the rib for offshore cruising?
Old 21 December 2002, 15:49   #7

reply 2 brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the welcome, hope I haven't offended anybody on my first day.

My other boat is a 35' offshore powerboat, made in the good old US of A, powered by a pair of 8.2 litre Mercruisers. The reason for me implying that this boat is more suitable than my rib for extended passages is as follows:

Many times on a long or extended voyage such as one of my frequent trips to the Channel Islands or France, I have been a victim in the change of weather. Having to spend a night or two in a marina is no great hardship when you have a six foot vee berth, galley, toilet etc. I don't think that I would be very comfortable on my 7 metre rib.

Now I know that a 9 or 10 metre Scorpion would also be ideal, but you would have to agree that these examples are actually boats with a very fat fender.

As for sea keeping, half way between Cherbourg and Poole in a force 6 is not the place to be in a small rib, where as my powerboat with its high topsides and solid construction is IMHO fine.

Have you never wondered why the RNLI only use ribs inshore?
Old 21 December 2002, 16:09   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Uh oh, take cover Dirk - I reckon you might have lit the blue touch paper, so it's time to stand back...
Old 21 December 2002, 16:20   #9

When is a Rib not a Rib?

Does anyone know if I could fit tubes to my new boat It would be a good idea, the best of both worlds.

Does anyone know what makes a Scorpion classify itself as a Rib? it's just interesting hearing what Dirk has to say, he does have a point in IMHO

Spirit of Cardiff looked Rib'ish, I guess if there is no definition of what one is, you just do your own thing. Does it really matter anyway, as long as you are safe and having fun

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 16:35   #10

Town: bournmouth
The way I see it, ribs, or rhib's to be more accurate, don't acquire any superhuman sea keeping purely through having a bit of pumped up rubber round the outside, the sea keeping has to derive from hull design, balance of the setup, drive configuration etc, after all, we are talking about a planing hull, the tubes do very little other than give stability at displacement speeds, make it nice to moor up, and, if all else fails you have a bit of wreckage that might stay afloat to cling to until the brave boys in orange arrive! (in a rigid boat of course, as dirk rightly points out)
Old 21 December 2002, 16:39   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Dirk, I think you have missed something. In a rib if the weather is good Jersey is 6 hours from the South Coast at a comfortable speed. You would be unlucky for it to change that much you feel exposed in a 7m rib which should have an excellent sea keeping ability. Its been done often in a 5.5m without problems. That said Twinkle ( possibly an Ocean 7.5m with yellow tubes) broke down in the Channel last night. Seems he was on his own and the single engine failed along with the VHF etc. Oops anyway he fired a flare and was seen by a ship. Not sure its the weather or time of year, for solo channel crossings though especially in fog.

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/ne...h=12&year=2002

As for camping on the rib, its been done regularly and Jersey has a great Marina with showers etc. Inflatable beds and a "boom Tent cover" are all you need. Alternatively a lot of us use B&Bs which solves the problem completely.

Flanker, I think Scorpions classify themselves as ribs becuase they have big squiggy things called tubes on the outside.
You should try one out, perhaps at a boat show ?

Pete

{busy planning a weeks diving in Alderney by Rib}
Old 21 December 2002, 16:53   #12

Pete (with the Rib)

If you read what I said, I was trying to explore Dirk's definition of what is, or is not a Rib. So if I put as you say "big squiggy things called tubes on the outside" e.g. fenders it will suddenly becme a Rib. I think there must be more to it than that

Pete (without a Rib, or have I now )
Old 21 December 2002, 17:03   #13

Pepper & Pete 7

Hey guys, calm down, its me first day and I'm still finding my feet.I do apologise once again for offending anybody, but free speech and all that makes this country great, ok.

Couple of points I would like to clarify, IMHO of course.

Jersey only being six hours away, and the weather unlikely to change that much to make the return crossing unlikely in a 7 metre rib: How much boating have you done? I've been to Jersey for the day, and not been able to get back for a week, had to fly home. And before you tell me I should get a weather check, what the hell do they know! I remember losing my roof in 87 when they said we were expecting light winds.

And as for camping on a rib, you must be joking. I have found the best boating is when you are with friends, ideally ladies. Are you seriously suggesting that I should carry sleeping bags and a tent on a 7 metre rib, just in case. As for guest houses, easy to find on a bank holiday weekend!
Old 21 December 2002, 17:15   #14

Dirk, its fine, Pete and I have been chatting on here for a while. Just regret he bought a speedboat, however thats a long story no one wants to discuss.

How much boating have I done, well Round Scotland in 92, Isle of Man a few times, the Channel a few times and trailed the rib to Poland, so lots really. Sure you might get stuck in the Channel Islands but a 7 metre rib is a very sea worthy boat. Carry a tent, absolutely why not ?

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1316

Pete, the early rib hulls were just that, a powerboat hull with the top cut off and some tubes stuck on. R&D ? no chance this was ppl working in barn sheds just sticking things together and hoping they worked. Most did, some didn't

For example Fletcher (of speedboat fame) had a go at making ribs in the mid 80s, 1986 I think. They couldn't see the future in ribs and sold the moulds. Osprey eventually ended up with them and created there commerical range from the design. With modification this then became the Viper series. Ring and a few others have also had there hulls copied.

Pete (taking my screwdriver to LDS as I need some nav lights, Glaston ones would fit)
Old 21 December 2002, 17:26   #15

Pete (with the Rib)

LDS That's lucky my boat is at the LBS

Have Merry Christmas, and I hope the new metal detectors at the entrance to the LBS get your tool kit

Pete (looking for spare nav lights)
Old 21 December 2002, 17:48   #16

Splodge, to answer your question the tubes of a rib do have a major effect on the sea keeping of the hull. (Ignoring those ribs with tubes set high up and clear of the water) the tubes absorb the force of the wave which is one reason tubes should not be overly inflated as they need to deflect. Yes they do provide a huge reaserve of bouancy which even in a small rib can be the equivalent of several tons. At rest they also keep the rib stable which makes for a great diving platform. I rarely have ppl sea sick on the rib even when stopped as the waves simply lift one side until the other side starts to dig in. At that point the hull slides with the wave rather than lean any further keeping the boat level and calm. When travelling up and down the waves the reserve of bouancy enables the trottle to be applied with bottle with a much lower risk of stuffing it into the back of a wave. That said it yes does happen occasionally, but the result is not a folorn hope and the boat will survive.

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 17:55   #17

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Something is not right here!!! 6 hours from the Hamble to Jersey in a 35ft high speed power boat with twin 8.2 mercruisers and in conditions that are good!!

Thats only an average of 20 knots and you say you often go there and back for a day, come on, come clean what are you really about?

As for your comments about RIB's not being very sea friendly in tough conditions you obviously do not understand much about boats at all. If you think that a rib would not be any good in rough seas best you have a look at www.offshore-expeditions.com or better still buy my book "Beating the big One" or Clive Tully's book "Confronting Posidon" And before you have a go at me, Yes I have got the t-shirt and I have worn it out! Alan P
Old 21 December 2002, 18:02   #18

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
A small?? comment

Quote:
Many times on a long or extended voyage such as one of my frequent trips to the Channel Islands or France, I have been a victim in the change of weather. Having to spend a night or two in a marina is no great hardship when you have a six foot vee berth, galley, toilet etc. I don't think that I would be very comfortable on my 7 metre rib.

I tend to agree with Dirk.
In the UK (even if you have an offshore cruiser) the conditions are not ideal (plesent) for long RIB cruising even in the summer (2 hours max I think) with unpredictable weather, rain, cold air temperature etc etc.
A RIB (I believe) can be used much more extenssively in hot climates for cruising and to a lesser extent in cold climates.
Nevertheless, it depends why one wants to own a RIB (which I may say costs as much as a small cruiser) and not a cruiser.
Personally, I've chosen to have a RIB because I like to be near to the sea (nearer than when you are on a sailing yacht or a cruiser), I want to feel the sea on the boat, I want to have drops of sea water on my face and to get soaked when I hit big waves (but that is in Greece where is much wormer).
I don't think I would be saying the same things if I was doing this in the UK.
For the sleeping arrangements, since I only use the boat in Greece (the UK tooooo cooooold for me, but will venture it the coming year and see how it goes) I think a B&B will be better rather than the old tent (which is adequate to spend a night in warmer climates). Why someone should be more and feel ancomfortable than he should be?
The point is that when one goes out to sea he should enjoy him self. A sea adventure it does not ment to be an endurance course and it does not mean that the person who would be the 'bravest' or the 'macho man' would win or succed anything more than the others who are not (the sencible guys).
On the contrary he will be the loser as he will not enjoy him self and probably the adventure will end up in tears.

(This reminds me of the diving club I bellong where everybody thinks that is macho to dive down to 50 meters and that by doing so they can prove something (to whom I still don't know). Well I have been diving for 25 years now and I think is not macho, and you prove nothing to no one. There is nothing to see in 50 mtrs (specially in the UK there is no light, no fish NOTHING!!) and there is nothing to prove to anyone except to add an extra danger to your life.)

Now the back to RIBS and the subject of RIBs with cabins.
Well I think that these RIBs are the same as an offshore cruiser. No different just a bit more safe(r).
As far as I am concerened (I said that before) the idea of a RIB is that it can go in and out of the water with the minimum of fuss, you can tow it, is light, you can put it in your garage, you don't pay marina fees, maintenace is less and you can launch it and recover it without a lot of hasle. THIS IS A RIB.
The cabin RIBs are just safe(r) cruising boats but they are not proper RIBs.

Finally RIBs are one of the safest forms of sailing on water. They do not sink and they rarely capsize. As Alan says 'they are the 4x4 of the sea'. So I expect that in the future we will see more large cabin cruisers built like RIBs. They will be very safe but they'll never be proper RIBs.

Well, I had my say and I believe that many of you will have a go at me. But this is what I believe and nothing will change it
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2002, 18:05   #19

Hmm, perhaps we have ben a little hard on Dirk especially on his first day here. Dirk I am sure that you will grow to love the rib and discover just how sea worthy they can be. You are absolutely right start off in the Solent with short trips and then venture further afield until you cross the channel, there are bound to be trips next year and cruising in company is a great social event and provides extra safety.

As for tubes, we have discussed repairs to tubes and valves on here a lot, try a search or if you are really stuck and need a hand drop me a pm and I will come and help if you want,

Pete

{with the olive branch}
Old 21 December 2002, 18:05   #20

Reply to Alan Priddy

Hey, just a minute, I only quoted what someone else had said.

But yes, 6 hours does seem rather a long time, but he did say that was in a rib.

As for my powerboat, a couple of hours is the usual amount of time it takes.

Oh, and as for books, I prefer the one written about Fabio Buzzi, Don Arrownow and Sonny Levi. Now they really have worn the tee shirts!