Old 21 December 2002, 18:55   #41

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Flanker, some of use are also teenagers, who not only think they're right, but KNOW we are!

Matt (I know everything) Brown
Old 21 December 2002, 19:00   #42

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Slodge,

so what material are you recommending for a fuel tank on a petrol engined rib ?

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 19:04   #43

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Narked,
Shut up you stupid teenager, what are you doing here anyway, you know nothing, you should be at school. I have done everything to to with boating, you are just a little scum bag that is trying to be a real man. Anyway that boat you are on about buying is crap, get a Scorpion with your pocket money, now bu..er off this site now (Old Flanker)

Hi Narked,
Nice to see you here mate, good that someone your age is not out selling drugs but actually getting involved in a healthy sport. You have been very helpful to the forum, keep it up. I don't know too much but if there is anything I can do to help let me know. I hope that you get the boat you are after in the end. Are you going to the LBS, maybe some of us could meet you for a drink or two (New Flanker)

See it's not difficult

Who would you rather be?

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 19:09   #44

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
Who would you rather be?
Only the schizophrenic's get a choice
Old 21 December 2002, 19:09   #45

Town: bournmouth
pete7
Sorry I don't agree, as I said ealier, I think the concept of a rib is exellent for certain purposes, including long range stuff, workboats rescue etc, mainly on the grounds of the unsinkability aspect, (wreckage to cling to theory) , but cruising for me, means at least a reasonable turn of speed say 40-50 knts, if it were too rough for that I probably woudn't set off, at 40-50 knts sitting up high on 'top' of your average rib as one does, they feel to me like a slight hook or forced change of direction whilst not concentrating could result in a rapid involuntry dissmount! people do seem to get chucked out of ribs on a fairly regular basis in racing, I'd rather be inside a boat (below combing or side screen height)
Old 21 December 2002, 19:10   #46

Drugs?

OMG wait till KH (the SOCO) finds out that sibs are being used smuggling
Old 21 December 2002, 19:18   #47

Slodge,

Agreed, at those speeds, a full racing harness would be my first choice. Thankfully lots of ribs won't reach those speeds and those that do not for long if they are petrol. Been there. But at 25 knots well the crew relax, smoke, drink coffee and enjoy the experience. When diving I rarely drive my own boat since everyone else want to have a go, and at that speed I am happy for them to do so. I aslo want to ensure that everyone in the club is proficient at driving a rib. As a diver being run down by your own rib is not going to be a good day.

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 19:19   #48

pete7

I would suggest N-8 alluminium, and make sure the baffles arn't welded to the bottom surface of the tank, thats where they allways fail if the tank isn't properly suported and the bottom can 'pant' or try to 'pant' on hard landings, eventualy where the baffle and the bottom surface are welded there will be a fracture--BINGO, it's the same with s/s but 50 times worse
Old 21 December 2002, 19:22   #49

pete7
I conceed, at 25 knts they're great, I geuss I like getting places a little quicker than that
Old 21 December 2002, 19:23   #50
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Is Splodge like an Orcadian? (A teller of Sagas). Or perhaps he's the opposite. (A seller of Targa's!)

Pete7, just had to rip my s/s tank out cos' it had cracked on a weld. Now use plastic tanks for the portability aspect.
Old 21 December 2002, 19:25   #51

Okay interesting, my Ribtec has two tobeleroll shaped stainless steel tanks, not sure about baffles but reasonable to assume they are fitted. They have been bonded into the bottom of the hull between the bulkheads and are very secure. So am I in for trouble later in life, the hull is 1995.

Does N8 corrode in sea water ?
Old 21 December 2002, 19:29   #52

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Dirk

you have started quite a thread , since this afternoon 348 views, 5 pages and what a hot discussion. This is what forums are about and make the reading and participation very interesting.

I get the feeling that you have not yet been on a real rib with a true ribster in rough conditions and yet you have spent good money to buy one and not any rib. What possessed you .? Did you just one day say that is it I am now going to join the elite. Cos ribsters are the elite they do go out when it is rough just think of the brave lads from the RNLI on their Atlantics 21 and 75s, they of course have no choice.whereas we have. Hence your remark in their respect was totally uncalled for . The rib is the undisputed 4 x 4 on the water and when one wants to distinguish the men from the boys the men of course are the ribsters.

Andre
Old 21 December 2002, 19:29   #53

"I conceed, at 25 knts they're great, I guess I like getting places a little quicker than that"

Then you need a hydrofoil rib, or a hovercraft.
Old 21 December 2002, 19:29   #54

pete7
Yes but not badly, all the ally race boats of a few years ago were made of it Cougar,CUV, cunninghams etc, but outide should realy be sealed-etch-2 pak or similar
Old 21 December 2002, 19:33   #55

pete7

There you go again, you can't resist trying to get a tube round it, even hydro's arn't safe!
Old 21 December 2002, 19:36   #56

Hang on, they are using Al because its light. I have to admit that for me its still Stainless Steel. Its ability to resist corrosion when sealed under a deck are paramount, weight and a possible risk to cracking should be avoided by good design and quality. One reason I bought a Ribtec. I think we agree to differ. Whats deffinately not acceptable is some of the plastics for petrol boats. Late BWMs spring to mind.

"There you go again, you can't resist trying to get a tube round it, even hydro's arn't safe" neither are car ferries
Old 21 December 2002, 19:40   #57

Andre

I think the discusion is so heated because the hardcore ribsters are so very protective of thier belief, possibly driven by some insecurities, inner doubts of thier own!!!!
Old 21 December 2002, 19:42   #58

pete7
Now there I agree, a 500 ft rib full of cars would probably have survived, they do have a use!
Old 21 December 2002, 19:45   #59

davidmaning
good rhyme!
how old was your s/s tank?
Old 21 December 2002, 19:47   #60

Err, hate to say this, but its a pity it didn't sink off the Isle of Wight, or the diving club would be rather busy during the hours of darkness. Afterall if they can't even keep a third big ship away from it I am sure a rib could sneek in. Only take an hour and some big lifting bags. Anyone need a new Merc for Xmas, free hair dryer included in the price.