Old 21 December 2002, 18:08   #21

Town: bournmouth
Allan, you need to read the thread properly, it wasn't the guy with the hard boat that quoted 6 hours, it was one of you rubber-ducker's
Old 21 December 2002, 18:14   #22

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Thanx Splodge,

Seems that I haven't got off to a very good start. Perhaps I had better batten down the hatches!
Old 21 December 2002, 18:14   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Dirk /Splodge You are right, I should have read the thread properly first. After saying that, there is still something not right about this. You appear to be having a go at Rib owners rather than being an enthusiast Alan P
Old 21 December 2002, 18:14   #24

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hmm...

As a novice "rubber ducker", I've been over in under three hours!
Old 21 December 2002, 18:16   #25

pete7,
if we are talking about any respectable amount of speed, tubes become a big problem of thier own, just ask chris strickland, and if the tubes make such an amazing difference to the sea keeping, how is the mannerfelt ribs generally average a lower speed in all conditions than the batboat they derive from? I think some of you guys read more into rubber dingy's than you should!
Old 21 December 2002, 18:18   #26

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
6 hours to Jersey is not an unreasonable time, coffee and a ciggy mid channel, lunch in Alderney and high teas in Sark. If your on holiday why rush? and at 20 - 25 knots everyone on board is comfortable.

Manos, sorry can't agree with you, the UK is fab for rib cruising either inshore or across the channel and and six hours no hardship. Afterall we spend all day at sea when we go diving, the trick is surely wearing the right kit and choosing the right conditions, no different to using any other type of boat then really. If the weather is poor don't go.

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 18:19   #27

Allan p,
Don't get me wrong, I think ribs are exellent in thier own field, and am an enthusiast but do get bored with hearing the blind faith stories!
Old 21 December 2002, 18:19   #28

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Re: A small?? comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos

(This reminds me of the diving club I bellong where everybody thinks that is macho to dive down to 50 meters and that by doing so they can prove something (to whom I still don't know). Well I have been diving for 25 years now and I think is not macho, and you prove nothing to no one. There is nothing to see in 50 mtrs (specially in the UK there is no light, no fish NOTHING!!) and there is nothing to prove to anyone except to add an extra danger to your life.)
This seems to be common to a lot of dive clubs in this part of the world (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was common on a global scale). Our club has had a few nasty accidents thanks to this kind of macho "let's push our skills" attitude.

However, I believe that a RIB is much more suited to the waters and climate in this part of a world to a normal powerboat. If I had to be out at sea in crap conditions, I'd much rather be there in a RIB than a similar sized normal powerboat.

As for the argument about "why do you think the RNLI only use RIBs for inshore work?", it could be something to do with the fact that it's possible that for offshore rescues they could be dealing with larger vessels, needing to be able to carry more people back and keep those people sheltered from the elements to try to prevent or delay the problems of hypothermia or other related conditions. Also there's the issue of towing. One of the current RNLI offshore boats is probably a lot more suitable for towing immobilised vessels back to shore than one of the RIBs would be, especially in nasty conditions.

Also, pay attention to Mr Priddy over there, he has indeed been there, done that, and worn the same soaking wet tshirt for many days.

But one of the main things is, if you don't feel safe going out in bad conditions, don't. Stay on dry land. If you know you can handle the conditions, and you know that your boat is up to it, and that it can cope with anything that might get thrown at it once you've left shore, then go for it.

Matt (Orkney (was that you Keith?!)) Brown
Old 21 December 2002, 18:22   #29

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Dirk

To reply to your message.
Boat engine combi perfect. The scorpion is similar to the falcon and you will probably get (with some tuing on the prop) and engine hight (you better ask scorpion on that one since the boat has diffrent keel than the falcon and cannot say exactly) a good 50+ knots top speed and 35-40 cruising. You need a SS prop with pich may be about 21"??
Regarding tubes there was a company advertising in the Internationa RIB mag (which unfortunately I have left it in Greece) and they were also giving big discounts.
My RIB has PVC and not HYPALON tubes. The are cheaper and last as long. I have read articles and tests made by ORCA and these German guys who made mine and on tests both materials performed the same. Zodiac also make their tubes from PVC. Also PVC repairs much easier than Hypalon. You don't need to heat surfaces etc etc.
I suppose you will fit new tanks. DO NOT FIT Steinless Steel. Get some good plastic ones and try to put them where you can inspect them, take them on and off easily. SS tanks for petrol are a nuisance they can get electrolisis, they need inspection (for the earth connection) every so often and if they are placed under the deck and inside the hull and if you have a leak you would have to spend lots and lots of dosh to repair it.
In short keep the min (and safest!!) poss as far as electronic and other equipment is concerned on the boat i.e. GPS, VHF and a radio if you like. Anything else is an added nuisance.
There is a thread that talks about things to have on a RIB and if you read it you find lots.
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1478
Have a Merry Chritmas.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2002, 18:24   #30

Town: Hamble
Reply to Alan

Not at all, it just seems to have exploded all of a sudden.

However, I wouldn't consider myself to be a rib enthusiast just yet, I haven't even got the damn thing on the water, it's still in bits.

Still, whats wrong with a lively discussion, your all in danger of hero worshipping without it, I would hate to have got involved with a forum with such one sided views as the mby forum, of the jet ski forum.

All I have done is ask a couple of questions, and answered a couple. If you have taken my views as a snipe at ribs and rib owners then I apologise, and will lay low for a couple of days.

Or how about the following:

For sale, 7 metre falcon, in need of slight repair, complete with 115 hp mercury. Owner too scared to venture out on water having upset the entire rib world!
Old 21 December 2002, 18:33   #31

Splodge, the answer is that tubes generate drag. On a racing boat that matters, but back in the real world and at slower speeds ie cruising, then the advantage of superb sea keeping in a stable boat has much merit. Which would you choose to cross the channel an 18 ft Ring or the Chinook RC18 Rib that was derived from it. For me its the Rib, a momentary loss of attention and the rib just carries on, in a power boat ? hmm

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 18:34   #32

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Pete 7

May be I exadurated a bit.
The UK is nice too. From the Hamble I have sailed to many places in the UK i.e. Alderney, Le Havre, Bilbao, Witsand Bay, Plymouth, etc and I always had a good time. However, it was always the damn weather that kept us in.
I said it before if it was not for the unpredictable weather UK would have been a VERY NICE place to go cruising.
However, all depends on the company you have. If the compnay is right you can go anywhere and have good time.

...but is cooooold LOLOL
Old 21 December 2002, 18:35   #33

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
You've got us all wrong! This is a lively discussion, and although lively discussions have a habit of becoming quite heated round here, they don't get nasty. Often you will recieve some quite blunt replies from some members, but in the long run these are generally for the better, as in some ways they can be making an important note on safety or other important issue. Pay attention to what is said, and read up on this stuff. Debate by all means, just make sure it stays clean and civilised (unlike some of the other forums out there).

Enjoy the forums,
Matt
Old 21 December 2002, 18:39   #34

Dirk

Quote:
For sale, 7 metre falcon, in need of slight repair, complete with 115 hp mercury. Owner too scared to venture out on water having upset the entire rib world!
I thought that it was a Scorpion!! LOLOL
Old 21 December 2002, 18:44   #35

Matt, well said and I concur.

Now Manos, whats this rubbish about not fitting Stainless Steel fuel tanks. Couldn't think of a more suitable material for fuel tanks, saying that I may fit plastic underdeck tanks in my Diesel Pacific because the are cheaper and will be permanently glassed in. What it coms down to is cost, if a local S/S fabricator can match the plastic tank price then they will be S/S.

For Petrol Ribs Stainless Steel is ideal, and underdeck saves space keeps the weight low down and the tanks secure. How else do you get the range we want from 20 l red plastic tanks ?

Pete

(Haven't heard from Flanker for 10 minutes, must be on a promise)
Old 21 December 2002, 18:45   #36

pete7
When you say tube failures get discussed a lot on this forum, is it fair to asume the thing you claim to be the making of the ribs ability, is also it's big weakness?

With ref to the s/s tanks I agree with manos, s/s has terrible trouble with work hardening fatigue and cracks! any tank made of s/s should be kept well away from a high speed boat with high shock loading! unless you like a bilg full of fuel!
Old 21 December 2002, 18:46   #37

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Manos,

Very well put. I think that as I said before everyone is different and enjoy different things, that is called choice. Personally I don't want to camp out at night, that's my choice. I have nothing to prove either to myself or others, I have risen above trying to prove I am better than others. I have been through real life experiences (including war) that most people will never experience or know about. I have done that for a living and have been there, seen it, done it and 'worn out the T-shirt' as Alan P put it. I am also aware that there are others out there still doing the job I did and perhaps more knowledgable than me.

What I have found is that when you reach a certain level you can become bitter and grumpy, there are no more challenges in life and everyone else as far as you are concerned knows very little, and are just dirt e.g. how dare they question you, you know everything (that kind of thing). This is a dangerous position to be in, you can become unpopular and unhappy with your life I know, I have experienced that, and I am correcting my ways. I must say that since I have faced up to myself, I have become a nicer person, I enjoy using my experiences to help and ecourage others

You do notice however that some people try to portray a front to cover for other inadequencies, or what they feel is an inadequency, whether it be height, weight, lack of a degree e.t.c. If these people were all they were meant to be, then they would be solid as a rock, confident and mentors to the less proficient. I am lucky that I can see right through these people with my life experiences, they do not frighten me one bit, I know who I am. I guess the confidence I have, comes from really knowing how little of life they really know. Some people can become so tranfixed with a project or a particlar cause that they don't care less about anything or anybody else, best let them get on with their sad lonely false lives. The time will come for these people one day when they are exposed as shallow, they will then feel lonely and angry, and realise in the whole aspect of the globe and what else is going on, they are nothing and have nothing. People like this use others for their own ends, when that dries up they realise they are nothing, it's too late then!

Dirk, you have made some points and have every right to make them. You will find that you will get different opinions on here, I am pretty new myself, there is some banter, which is healthy and fun. You will work out what is what and who is who, but there are enough good people here to help with most things. The confident real people IMHO will be helpful, discuss things, offer advice and be there when the 'wheel comes off', and you need help.

People fought for us to be free, enjoy it, and help others less able to enjoy it.

Pete
Old 21 December 2002, 18:48   #38

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Pete (with the Rib)

I think now you know why, just got off my soap box

Pete (less angry now, with help)
Old 21 December 2002, 18:51   #39

Splodge

Possibly, tubes are pretty robust but harbours locks and marina pontoons do take a toll. However we still see sibs out as dive boats that are aproaching a couple of decades in age. Not bad me thinks. Thankfully damage is normally a DIY job if its hyperlon, if its pvc oh, err, um, best flog it quick.

So what material would you choose for a petrol rib fuel tank ?

Pete

Old 21 December 2002, 18:51   #40

Flanker

Pete WELL SAID as always!! Very nicely put and couldn't agree more with what you say!!