Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 March 2014, 07:23   #11
Member
 
SteveHall's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,719
RIBase
No sim, its a sealed unit.

I loved it though, as through winter just leave it ticking away and I get an email & text when the boat is moved.

Then over the summer months I pay the extra monthly fee for history, more text messages, continuous tracking and a few other nice bits so that I can look back over my trips.

Love the app as well, so get full control on my iphone and ipad, and can see it on maps without any issues.

I installed it when I got the boat, and haven't touched it since, but now need to look for another option.
__________________

__________________
Steve
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
https://www.justgiving.com/blind-sailing
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 08:08   #12
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,239
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
No sim, its a sealed unit.

I loved it though, as through winter just leave it ticking away and I get an email & text when the boat is moved.

Then over the summer months I pay the extra monthly fee for history, more text messages, continuous tracking and a few other nice bits so that I can look back over my trips.

Love the app as well, so get full control on my iphone and ipad, and can see it on maps without any issues.

I installed it when I got the boat, and haven't touched it since, but now need to look for another option.
I'd be quite interested in your findings, not because I want to steal your boat but I've been researching some sort of tracker for mine and can't come up with a solution. Most of them seem to rely on their internal battery power but I'm looking for something I can hard wire.

If anyone has some pointers/recommendations then please feel free to PM me.
__________________

__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 08:24   #13
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Oh. Used ours for over 3 years. Drawn geofences when it has been on the mooring, at boat yards, tube specialists etc. notified when it left any of them, be it family going in and out, so i knew they were home safe, or when it was being towed from one to another, Old man or I knew that whoever was towing it had made it the journey safely.

Need to renew ours in April, assuming the same notices i feel we have had our money's worth anyway. Why they aren't supporting it i don't know.

Have they and upgraded model? I'd certainly invest again.

still for sale with no notice of withdrawal? http://www8.garmin.com/followme/

Uk website is still selling them, and there doesn't apperar to be a Garmin GTU20 for example. I have emailed them to find out.

On the Amazon website USA it does say discontinued. I have just updated my renewal and been informed of nothing. strange
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 08:28   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I'd be quite interested in your findings, not because I want to steal your boat but I've been researching some sort of tracker for mine and can't come up with a solution. Most of them seem to rely on their internal battery power but I'm looking for something I can hard wire.

If anyone has some pointers/recommendations then please feel free to PM me.
The TK102's and derivatives can be hard wire powered via the micro USB. I actusally use a 12v phone adaptor/charger as opposed to those sold by/with the sellers of the TK102.
It is connected to a permanent live - not affected by the main battery or instrument isolator switces. Even with a so called protected CTEK charger, the others blew when charging the battery. I assume the phone ones have better 'surge' protection? I never need to disconnect the tracker now and the internal battery would only trip in if the main battery feed was cut

Jeff

Tracker and charging adaptor are in an IP67 enclosure
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 08:37   #15
Member
 
SteveHall's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,719
RIBase
No idea why they are stopping it.

And yes still see it for sale online!
__________________
Steve
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
https://www.justgiving.com/blind-sailing
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 08:42   #16
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
The TK102's and derivatives can be hard wire powered via the micro USB. I actusally use a 12v phone adaptor/charger as opposed to those sold by/with the sellers of the TK102.
It is connected to a permanent live - not affected by the main battery or instrument isolator switces. Even with a so called protected CTEK charger, the others blew when charging the battery. I assume the phone ones have better 'surge' protection? I never need to disconnect the tracker now and the internal battery would only trip in if the main battery feed was cut

Jeff

Tracker and charging adaptor are in an IP67 enclosure
Like the look of the enclosure but it kind of makes it obvious what it is....

GTU10 can be hard wired too with micro USB. No problems had. Shame if it is discontinued with no replacement. Has been faultless.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 09:57   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Like the look of the enclosure but it kind of makes it obvious what it is....

.
That depends where /how accessible it is
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 10:22   #18
Member
 
Trimix's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 861
RIBase
Bugger, thats shite news. Ive got a couple of them, so it seems they will only work till then end of next year then.
__________________
Trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 10:48   #19
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Where does it say it ends at the end of 2014?
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 15:59   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Top RH corner of Hants
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 151
From the Garmin website - no plans to replace the GTU 10.

The GTU 10 has been discontinued, does this mean that my GTU 10 won't work any longer?
No your GTU 10 is still supported and will work fine. Garmin will support the device until end of 2015. Customers can renew the subscription for the Basic service (12 months) up until the end of 2014 and for the Delux subscription service (1 month) up until the end of November 2015
Will I be able to use my GTU 10 with a different service provider once the service has been discontinued?
No unfortunately not. The GTU 10 works with the integrated SIM card only – besides the network service, all other services like the webpage and the mobile app will also be discontinued as of the 1st of January 2016.
Will there be a replacement for the GTU10?
At this point Garmin does not plan to do manufacture another tracking device like the GTU 10.
__________________

__________________
Follow MacRib on Twitter https://twitter.com/RIB4Macmillan - and get your friends to follow too :)
Crew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.