Old 14 March 2014, 10:08   #21

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Anyone got a recommendation of a similarly user friendly, plug in and use, with an app on the phone, hard wired and battery powered, geofenced tracker?

Is no other company buying the rights?
Old 14 March 2014, 10:44   #22

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
The TK102 looks like it ticks all the boxes.

Downloaded the App last night and it looks a piece of cake. The only drawback being pasting the Lat Long from SMS but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big an issue.

Geofencing is a doddle to set up too.
Old 14 March 2014, 11:22   #23

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post

Downloaded the App last night and it looks a piece of cake. The only drawback being pasting the Lat Long from SMS but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big an issue.

If you send the command smslinkpassword, once you click on the text alert on your phone, it opens google maps and shows the position. Most are set to do this as default.
I used to have a genuine xexun but (after 5 years) for some unknown reason it kept switching itself off. I then bought a £23.99 'clone' off e bay
Mini Vehicle Car GPS Tracker Real-Time UK Plug TK102B Support Memory MA40K
and it works fine. You dont get as much info back when messaging is ( no battery voltage, just 100% 50% etc. and no satellite strength ) but otherwise indistinguishable

I always found geofencing gave too many false alerts so now use the 'speed' alert.

On speed+pw+space+010(km/h) speed ok
Off nospeed+pw nospeed ok

Much better imho

I used one of these for the 'hardwire - a touch of soldering and a bit of insulation instead of a cigar lighter socket make it a neat install
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-1A-DUAL-...item2ecdb9a35d
Old 14 March 2014, 11:27   #24

RIBase
One of the problems I have is my boat is in a 40ftx60ft shed that is clad in box profile sheeting, unfortunately my chart plotter doesn't receive a gps signal in it and the cell coverage is a little sketchy, does anyone know if this would cause a problem? How long does the tk102 take to gain a gps fix when 'in signal' so to speak?

I live in the arse end of nowhere and don't want the boat to be 20miles away before it tells me its moving.
Old 14 March 2014, 11:43   #25

Quote:
One of the problems I have is my boat is in a 40ftx60ft shed that is clad in box profile sheeting, unfortunately my chart plotter doesn't receive a gps signal in it and the cell coverage is a little sketchy, does anyone know if this would cause a problem? How long does the tk102 take to gain a gps fix when 'in signal' so to speak?

I live in the arse end of nowhere and don't want the boat to be 20miles away before it tells me its moving.
I have dug out an old original Xexun TK101 that I am sure still works but will check
As its nearly Xmas and I am bringing you a pressy of a fuel can to Oban at Easter, i will bring it up as well. Freebie

You can these see if phone & gps signal work in your hideaway and decide whether to upgrade to the newer ones >>> or just live with this one
Jeff
Old 14 March 2014, 11:45   #26

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

I have dug out an old original Xexun TK101 that I am sure still works but will check
As its nearly Xmas and I am bringing you a pressy of a fuel can to Oban at Easter, i will bring it up as well. Freebie

You can these see if phone & gps signal work in your hideaway and decide whether to upgrade to the newer ones >>> or just live with it
Jeff
You sir are a gent!

Muchos grassyarse
Old 14 March 2014, 11:47   #27

Just think how much your wife will spend in the big city of Oban though
Jeff
Old 14 March 2014, 12:15   #28

Quote:

A bit annoying having to "top up" a sim card. Plus if unused they can expire if not used in a 6 month period, plus it is nowhere near as userfriendly as the GTU10, app based on iphone. Is there an iphone app for the TK102 with simple geofence stuff.

quite annoyed and downheartened but mainly very surprised that in this age there is no similar unit to the GTU10!!!

these look good, hard wire too if needed, but no geofence i dont think
http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/satph...Messenger.html
Old 14 March 2014, 12:32   #29

Products Boat Security & GPS Tracking - S100 Portable GPS Tracker this looks pretty good.

Not cheap though. Garmin was £140
Old 14 March 2014, 13:06   #30

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Engine: evinrude 135hp
how about this one?

SmartOne Tracker

Bit more than the Garmin, but it looks like it can be hardwired, and has geofencing, but also looks like no subscriptions as well, (not that I could see???)

Could be a contender

I was about to buy a Garmin too!

Tonto
Old 14 March 2014, 13:46   #31

this one looks like it is a cheaper version, no geofencing though, just a movement alert

SPOT Trace
Old 14 March 2014, 13:50   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
this one looks like it is a cheaper version, no geofencing though, just a movement alert

SPOT Trace
yep, looks a good solid unit but as you say, no geofence which we need as on a swing mooring. Plus it's all text based which i find very antiquated for this modern age.
Old 14 March 2014, 18:10   #33

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Like the look of this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post

SPOT Trace
Good find Tonto,

Has anybody actually phoned up and asked the following questions

1.)How long does the battery last or does it need to be hardwired in if boat left for 3 months (I'm hoping the unit will go into sleep mode and then battery will wake up through motion or vibration sensor)

2.)What are the service charges?

If not I will give them a call next week or send an email.

Paul, I think I understand what the geofence means i.e. you set up a radius or a boundary and if the gps unit leaves that boundary then it triggers off the warning - This is why you need it as boat always moving on a mooring (I know I'm a bit thick )

P.S. Will I get one of these units at a boat jumble
Old 14 March 2014, 19:27   #34

Yes. That's right. Can put a geofence around a boatyard, so if it moves from storage to workshop it doesn't ping you, but if leaves premises it does. The swing mooring needs an area/geofence as it constantly moves.

Trying to programme a geofence by long and latitude is a PITA, with an app or web based operation it's a piece if piss!
Old 14 March 2014, 19:28   #35

RIBase
If it's like any of the other SPOT stuff itl cost more annually than the device itself.
Old 15 March 2014, 04:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Good find Tonto,

Has anybody actually phoned up and asked the following questions

1.)How long does the battery last or does it need to be hardwired in if boat left for 3 months (I'm hoping the unit will go into sleep mode and then battery will wake up through motion or vibration sensor)

2.)What are the service charges?
Have a look at the other options on the site, there are some GSM based ones (which use the mobile network to send the messages) but to get the geofence you need to subscribe to thier other service;
http://www.gtctrack.com/
It looks like the advanced package, which will get you the geofence will be 15 pounds a month, plus you will probably need a Pay as you go sim card as well.

There is this unit, which does not use the mobile, but sends data via sattelite, so you will be able to see it even at sea, and far from land, or where there is no mobile coverage;
http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/satphone/Axonn_SMARTONE_Satellite_Tracker.html
the sattelite based ones need a messaging plan, AND a mapping plan. For 250 messages/month, plus the cost of the mapping plan it will set you back 19 pounds a month, plus 5 pence per message after the 250 messages, unless you upgrade. That is probably not inc VAT, but not sure.

However looking at all of the above the gtctrack site does say it supports Garmin products, so, you may be able to keep your Garmin GU10, and have to pay the subscription charges. but 15 quid a month is pretty high.

They do seem to indicate they have an App for most devices though.

Most of the devices are able to be hard wired into a power source.

At the end of the day, as has already been said, if you are protecting a 20K+ or even less value craft, how much are you willing to pay, and will insurance companies be prepared to give you a discount???
Old 15 March 2014, 07:52   #37

Cheers!

We're not too bothered about discount on insurance, as we want to know if it breaks free from mooring as much as tracking the t***s down and getting our engine back!

It's hard to replace a 175 opti as there weren't many sold, never mind one 5 yrs old with all of 2 hrs on full service history, one owner etc

We'd get bugger all £ from insurance.

So we'd rather have it back, wiring loom cut or not.
Old 15 March 2014, 08:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Cheers!

We're not too bothered about discount on insurance, as we want to know if it breaks free from mooring as much as tracking the t***s down and getting our engine back!

It's hard to replace a 175 opti as there weren't many sold, never mind one 5 yrs old with all of 2 hrs on full service history, one owner etc

We'd get bugger all £ from insurance.

So we'd rather have it back, wiring loom cut or not.
I agree with you, I would just want to catch any B*****ds who would want to pinch what I had.

If the insurance would be cheaper, might just offset the cost is what I was thinking??

I dont have anything to do with the copmpany products I showed, just interested if anyone else had seen them, or used them?

Tonto
Old 15 March 2014, 08:57   #39

I also want them caught, as if not, you get a new engine, put it on the water and they come back for that!! It happened to a friend.
Old 15 March 2014, 09:04   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I also want them caught, as if not, you get a new engine, put it on the water and they come back for that!! It happened to a friend.
I agree, Some of the places around the worl chop their hands of for stealing, not a bad idea in my mind. It will make it harder for them to do it again.....

At least with a tracker you might get it back.

however when browsing the other day for trackers, I came across this device, it probably means you wouldnt get it if they used one,

Buy car GPS jammer uk, car gps tracking jammer for sale

Why anyone can be allowed to sell one of those, or own one is beyopnd me, but there you go.

Tonto

Tags
rib