Click Here to Login

Old 20 July 2023, 13:40   #21

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Suspect it's hypalon. With hypalon you can check by removing one of the valve caps, the colour of the fabric should be darker inside. With PVC, it's the same colour both sides.

Nothing wrong with an older RIB, it's all to do with how it's stored, and importantly if it's been kept out of UV light and the elements. Obviously check seem overlaps, even if there's a little lift here and there, all that can be re-glued.

If you do purchase, check this out. Suspect the plastic swivel has cracked and the only thing holding this threaded linkage in place is a zip-tie!
Many thanks for the tip on the zip tie!! I assume these parts are still easy enough to buy?

I will check if it's Hypalon in the manner you describe!

Thanks again. Update again tomorrow...[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 20 July 2023, 14:20   #22

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I don't think avon used anything other than hypalon but not 100% sure. Henshaws or polymarine websites have identification instructions in their repair guides on their websites worth educating yourself before you view. I recently sold an avon sr5.4 which was 35 years old which still had plenty life left in it & also a 3.8m rib I'd owned from new 22 years old it had been garaged all its life & could have been mistaken for a 5 year old boat. Age isnt realy a concern with hypalon as long as its beel looked after & either covered or kept inside, the glue doesn't deteriorate like it does with polyurethane or pvc materials. The reason explained to me was that pvc & older polyurethane will allow uv to pass through & degrade the glue but hypalon is impervious to uv.
When you view the boat check for signs of the top layer wearing thin or any signs of the woven layer starting to show.
Have you seen the sr4 recently listed on here with a 50 two stroke it looks nice too. There was also a guy on the ribcraft owners page on Facebook mentioned selling his ribcraft 4.8 with a 50 4 stroke too
Wouldnt worry about the zip tie that part is easily available & regularly breaks as its pretty fragile
Old 20 July 2023, 18:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I don't think avon used anything other than hypalon but not 100% sure. Henshaws or polymarine websites have identification instructions in their repair guides on their websites worth educating yourself before you view. I recently sold an avon sr5.4 which was 35 years old which still had plenty life left in it & also a 3.8m rib I'd owned from new 22 years old it had been garaged all its life & could have been mistaken for a 5 year old boat. Age isnt realy a concern with hypalon as long as its beel looked after & either covered or kept inside, the glue doesn't deteriorate like it does with polyurethane or pvc materials. The reason explained to me was that pvc & older polyurethane will allow uv to pass through & degrade the glue but hypalon is impervious to uv.
When you view the boat check for signs of the top layer wearing thin or any signs of the woven layer starting to show.
Have you seen the sr4 recently listed on here with a 50 two stroke it looks nice too. There was also a guy on the ribcraft owners page on Facebook mentioned selling his ribcraft 4.8 with a 50 4 stroke too
Wouldnt worry about the zip tie that part is easily available & regularly breaks as its pretty fragile
Many thanks for that, really helpful.

Good to hear that parts are readily available too. I will check out the SR4. What are the differences between the SR4 and the one I'm looking at? In terms of performance, sea keeping etc.?
Old 23 July 2023, 08:53   #24

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
I don't think avon used anything other than hypalon but not 100% sure.
Snap, I've never seen an Avon with factory tubes in anything other than Hypalon. I used to have a big collection of Avon brochures for most of their models, and they all listed only Hypalon.
Old 23 July 2023, 09:17   #25

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamair View Post
Many thanks for that, really helpful.

Good to hear that parts are readily available too. I will check out the SR4. What are the differences between the SR4 and the one I'm looking at? In terms of performance, sea keeping etc.?
The one your looking at is more leisure orientated than an sr4 (which is actually 4.2m) so will plane easier with lower hp but will slam more when it gets rough, sr4 will handle rougher water with more confidence but will tend to need more power to push through the water. Sr4 has flooding hull so sits flat on the water at rest to make it more stable. My personal preference would be the sr4 but the other boat will be perfectly adequate for most use & if the layout suits you better then thats the one to go for. Both well made boats its very much a personal choice which is best for you
Old 23 July 2023, 14:03   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>> if the layout suits you better

Actually that's a major consideration comparing the Ebay one with the one listed on here. The Ebay one is loads more family/friend friendly in that respect.
Old 23 July 2023, 15:31   #27

Thanks guys.

I was hoping to go and look at it on Friday. Sadly, family duties prevented me. I have spoken with the seller and all seems great.

I'm looking at visiting this week.

For me, the family friendly bit is more important. I wont be using it in anything like the conditions that would make the SR4 a necessity.

On a separate issue... Anyone know of any decent storage places in the Huddersfield area? Struggling to find anywhere. It will fit on our drive, but keen to have it under cover and secure.
Old 23 July 2023, 16:29   #28

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamair View Post
Thanks guys.

I was hoping to go and look at it on Friday. Sadly, family duties prevented me. I have spoken with the seller and all seems great.

I'm looking at visiting this week.

For me, the family friendly bit is more important. I wont be using it in anything like the conditions that would make the SR4 a necessity.

On a separate issue... Anyone know of any decent storage places in the Huddersfield area? Struggling to find anywhere. It will fit on our drive, but keen to have it under cover and secure.

Try calling your local caravan storage facility.....I pay around £300 a year to store my 5m Rib.
Old 23 July 2023, 17:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
Try calling your local caravan storage facility.....I pay around £300 a year to store my 5m Rib.
That's very good. Thanks, will do. Trouble is around here, all seem full. We had a caravan for a couple of years and it was a nightmare.

I've been quoted £130/month plus VAT for a container, albeit a newish one...

Can't run to that...Way too much.
Old 01 August 2023, 07:40   #30

UPDATE!!!

So i am still trying to negotiate to buy this Avon. I offered £4200. He wants £4450. I offered to split the difference but he is going to drop the advertised price to £4450 and offer a no obligation sea trial for £125 to see if it drums up interest.

I have secured fairly priced storage now. Think i may be being a bit "tight".
Do i just offer him the £4450 to hopefully secure it?

Thoughts please folks!! Be brutally honest please!!! TIA
Old 01 August 2023, 09:00   #31

My way of dealing is different to many in that I never seek to "win" by refusing to budge. If I've checked out and researched something and the price where the seller wants to be is there or thereabouts I just go for it. Then I'm walking away with it rather than starting the whole search again.

If you like it you'd be daft to lose it for just 5% of the new asking. The new asking being under £4500 compared with near £5000 on the first listing could cause it to come to the notice of more folks and may mean you lose it quickly.

Every week you don't buy pushes you nearer the end of the main season too so you lose a lot of the potential use period this year.
Old 01 August 2023, 11:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
My way of dealing is different to many in that I never seek to "win" by refusing to budge. If I've checked out and researched something and the price where the seller wants to be is there or thereabouts I just go for it. Then I'm walking away with it rather than starting the whole search again.

If you like it you'd be daft to lose it for just 5% of the new asking. The new asking being under £4500 compared with near £5000 on the first listing could cause it to come to the notice of more folks and may mean you lose it quickly.

Every week you don't buy pushes you nearer the end of the main season too so you lose a lot of the potential use period this year.
Fenlander - many thanks as always, really appreciate your wisdom. Exactly my thinking. I was concerned the new price would create new interest - so I have offered him the new asking price and should be paying a deposit today. I've been watching loads, and nothing has looked so appealing without spending 2-4K more!!

Excited, as, though I have owned a few boats in my time, never a RIB - nor one with such a big (to me) engine.

I will be on here for tips and advice again soon! Sadly, due to work and holiday commitments I wont be able to collect until the middle of August.

I was a bit put off at the old price with the small air leak on the LH rear tube. It takes about a week to become noticeable apparently. Do you think it is likely to be the valve rather than any kind of puncture?

Cheers.
Old 01 August 2023, 11:45   #33

Fingers crossed the deal is concluded. As I've said before it really is just the sort of thing I'd go for were I trailing a smallcraft. I think it will be huge fun.

I hope the leak will be an easy resolution but just soap the valve when you get it home and if not that go over the whole tube with a squeezy foamy mix and hopefully it will be in an easy location.
Old 01 August 2023, 11:54   #34

Quote:
Fingers crossed the deal is concluded. As I've said before it really is just the sort of thing I'd go for were I trailing a smallcraft. I think it will be huge fun.

I hope the leak will be an easy resolution but just soap the valve when you get it home and if not that go over the whole tube with a squeezy foamy mix and hopefully it will be in an easy location.
Many thanks Fenlander. I aren't intending keeping it on a mooring so some leakage isn't a huge problem. I will attempt to fix it though, as I like things to be just so!

Looking good currently. Going to have a sea trial before parting with the cash. Should have a deposit paid within the day! Will be a couple of weeks before the sea trial though.

Will do a write up on it for the forum in due course!!
Old 01 August 2023, 12:46   #35

RIB is now purchased!!

Collection in about three weeeks due to holidays, work etc.

I'll be back on with questions and for advice in due course!!!!

Thanks all for your input.
Old 01 August 2023, 14:01   #36

Really looking forward to this getting on the water.
Old 01 August 2023, 18:39   #37

Quote:
Really looking forward to this getting on the water.
Cheers Fenlander. Full update to come...
Old 02 August 2023, 05:41   #38

Town: Colchester
That boat is about 5 miles from me. Looking at the pics and the price you paid I think you have got yourself a bargain with a bullet proof engine. Well done. Had I have seen it sooner I would certainly have added it to my fleet
Old 02 August 2023, 05:42   #39

Town: Colchester
Quote:
With his opinions on what a "quality" rib are I dont think that would be terrifically helpful lol. have you read is comments about ribcraft in another thread[emoji2357]
If i was interested Id get the sellers no & have a chat , get a feel for the guy & go see it myself 200 miles isnt the end of the world for the right boat imho

Old 02 August 2023, 13:32   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
That boat is about 5 miles from me. Looking at the pics and the price you paid I think you have got yourself a bargain with a bullet proof engine. Well done. Had I have seen it sooner I would certainly have added it to my fleet
Many thanks for that! Yes, I've been looking for a while and had set a 6k max budget. But happier having paid under 4.5k.

I'm chuffed about the Yam engine. I've had a Yam 8hp for years, and I can't believe how bulletproof it's been - once I'd cleaned the salt from the cooling system!

Tags
avon, sib