Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 February 2016, 10:52   #1
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 740
RIBase
Never seen this b4?

Hi,

Sorry for crap pics, but this Rib was retubed about a year ago and now it appears to be blistering. There are numerous blisters (mostly small, but the largest about the size of a pea) which when you burst them are full of water.

They are all over sections of all the tubes (more towards the stern). The tubes hold air perfectly, so it's like there's moisture between the layers of the Hypalon.

Anyone else seen this or know what it is and should I be going back to the company that retubed it?

Regards

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160211_145429.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	110716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160211_145339.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	110717  
__________________
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 12:18   #2
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi,

Sorry for crap pics, but this Rib was retubed about a year ago and now it appears to be blistering. There are numerous blisters (mostly small, but the largest about the size of a pea) which when you burst them are full of water.

They are all over sections of all the tubes (more towards the stern). The tubes hold air perfectly, so it's like there's moisture between the layers of the Hypalon.

Anyone else seen this or know what it is and should I be going back to the company that retubed it?

Regards

Steve
Is that the fabric print Hypalon?
__________________

__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 12:19   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,947
RIBase
Have seen it on the immersed section of a small Chinese built RIB.

I'd say there is a manufacturing problem with the fabric and would be having a chat with the company that retubed it.
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 13:14   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,251
It's textbook delamination.

The synthetic textile manufacturer is at fault, not the retubing company.
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
Opinions and intepretations expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 13:32   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,269
Yep as above!
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. West Country Division
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 14:23   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
The synthetic textile manufacturer is at fault, not the retubing company.
Yes, but under UK law it is the retailer (tube maker) not the original manufacturer who has to sort it (they in turn can claim from their supplier).
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 14:48   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Yes, but under UK law it is the retailer (tube maker) not the original manufacturer who has to sort it (they in turn can claim from their supplier).
Wow.

That is a completely unreasonable expectation. Short of owning a laboratory (like Zodiac has!) or engaging in several thousand dollars of testing with every batch of material, there is no way the retuber could predict delamination...not to mention, it could also be exacerbated by environmental conditions or by the particular cleaners that the end consumer uses.

All the material producer will probably do is reimburse the cost of material, but not the 25+ hours of labor required to actually manufacture the tubeset, or the labor involved to install it...

That really saddens me.
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
Opinions and intepretations expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 14:58   #8
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,798
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
All the material producer will probably do is reimburse the cost of material, but not the 25+ hours of labor required to actually manufacture the tubeset, or the labor involved to install it...
No, they'll have to "make it good" for the tube fitter or get their ass sued into the next century! Let's pretend it isn't the tube supplier's responsibility - and ask ourselves what the fabric manufacturer would do for the boat owner?

It's the same issue - just about who answers to who. If a tube maker uses crap fabric then they have to take responsibility when it goes t1ts up.
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2016, 15:09   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
That is a completely unreasonable expectation.
Not really. The consumer has no contract with the fabric maker. The consumer has even less chance to inspect the raw material before it is included in his tubes.

Quote:
not to mention, it could also be exacerbated by environmental conditions or by the particular cleaners that the end consumer uses.
I'm sure the material supplier will help them conduct that investigation.
Quote:
All the material producer will probably do is reimburse the cost of material, but not the 25+ hours of labor required to actually manufacture the tubeset, or the labor involved to install it...
Maybe - although that might depend on how many rolls of fabric you buy and how much they want to keep you as a customer. With a key supplier like that its always worth negotiating the cost of such foreseeable issues up front.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 04:20   #10
Member
 
Wightdiver's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Wow.

That is a completely unreasonable expectation. Short of owning a laboratory (like Zodiac has!) or engaging in several thousand dollars of testing with every batch of material, there is no way the retuber could predict delamination...not to mention, it could also be exacerbated by environmental conditions or by the particular cleaners that the end consumer uses.

All the material producer will probably do is reimburse the cost of material, but not the 25+ hours of labor required to actually manufacture the tubeset, or the labor involved to install it...

That really saddens me.
Not forgetting that the tube maker is the customer of the material supplier. Its a small industry in the UK, word would soon spread, they will certainly not want to loose a customer or damage their reputation.

Unless of course this is just one of many claims they may have and resolving all of them would send the under.
__________________
Wightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 05:09   #11
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 740
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Is that the fabric print Hypalon?
No, I don't think so. but it is hypalon.
__________________
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 10:27   #12
Member
 
ian parr's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Near oswestry
Boat name: Billy may
Make: Tornado 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
MMSI: 235109146
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 119
Defo tube manufacture not the supplier of the product !!! When you buy a new car it always goes back to the supplier. You don't try and claim from the 10 pence an hour chap that made it in some back street sweatshop in Taiwan !!!


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
ian parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 12:11   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
I have seen this a few times , once on an avon that was about a year old and also on a set of tubes we made for a German customer last year using orca fabric where some bubbles appeared after about 6 months use in the case of the avon (their own fabric ) we were told to sand off the bubbles and patch over them ,orca gave me the same response In both cases the bubbles only appeared in a small aerea that was under water .
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 12:19   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
In reality this is a pointless thread the purchaser of the tubes should be talking to the supplier of the tubes and hope to come to a satisfactory agreement how to overcome the problem
__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 13:39   #15
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Not forgetting that the tube maker is the customer of the material supplier. Its a small industry in the UK, word would soon spread, they will certainly not want to loose a customer or damage their reputation.

Unless of course this is just one of many claims they may have and resolving all of them would send the under.
I'm just pointing out, the tube maker is at the mercy of the material supplier.

It may be a small industry, but the amount of synthetic textile producers in the world is even smaller. The only 3 that come to mind are ARZ, Pennel & Flipo, and Achilles.
__________________

__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
Opinions and intepretations expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×