Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 July 2013, 11:44   #31
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Pooler, Georgia
Boat name: not applicable
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 156
The dual batteries on my last boat were in a deep battery compartment. That is not an uncommon design. In order to remove the nuts, a ratchet wrench with the proper extension bar was required and a tight fit even with the boat on the trailer. With wave action, it was a chore you did not want to do. Wing nuts worked exceptionally well on the boat. Trying to use a short box wrench would short against the adjacent battery which was not desirable.

I have never had a problem with stainless wing nuts, but carelessly tightening them would be a problem which is no different than a standard nut. Both designs use the same standard internal thread. Either type nut should do a good job if applied correctly.
__________________

__________________
frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 11:45   #32
Member
 
JamesF's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 249
Or maybe an adjustable one if you're worried about not being able to find the right spanner in a hurry.
__________________

__________________
JamesF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 12:12   #33
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Aye, 'cos we're always being picked on & discriminated against:P. Anyway, out of 10 boats that went to Ireland last week, 4 were running Etecs, I'd hardly call 40% a minority. The other 60% were split between Honda, Yamaha, suzook & Twatsoo. My maths might be a bit rusty but I reckon that's a majority, so there:P
And....
I saw a twin opti and our opti, so that makes at least 10% Of 28 or so engines
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 14:36   #34
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,594
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
And....
I saw a twin opti and our opti, so that makes at least 10% Of 28 or so engines
Errr! I hate to keep rubbing it in, but you didn't go to Ireland, neither did any Optis
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 14:38   #35
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Errr! I hate to keep rubbing it in, but you didn't go to Ireland, neither did any Optis
"Face slap" thought you'd said round Anglesey.

As for Ireland... Didn't want to go anyway. (Sic)
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.