Click Here to Login

Old 14 July 2013, 16:29   #1

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
never ever ever fit wing-nuts to battery terminals

When we took our recently acquired Vipermax Black Hawk on the cruise in company round Anglesey last month the 250 e-tec stopped just off south-stack,
not the best of places in a bit of a blow. It was then that we discovered that the
battery terminals were fitted with wing nuts (I know we should have checked earlier!) The wing nuts had worked loose and the battery was flat.We managed to restart with a booster and carry on. When we returned home we discovered that the engine would not charge so we booked the boat in to the main agent.
"You've fried the brain"said Mr.main agent "o dear" said I that doesn't sound cheap. "your in luck" said Mr main agent with a feral gleam in his eye "the've
come down now the are only £970,pause, plus fitting ,pause, plus VAT. Lucky me said I. Mr main agent then had to get authority from Evinrude to transfer
data from the old EMM unit to the new one then! Is it me or is the whole automotive industry getting far to complicated (it took my mate a week to find
the battery in his new Audi!) Anyway rant over just hope it saves somebody else a few bob. I am now the proud owner of the most expensive wing nuts in the UK (open to offers)
Old 14 July 2013, 16:43   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
When we took our recently acquired Vipermax Black Hawk on the cruise in company round Anglesey last month the 250 e-tec stopped just off south-stack,
not the best of places in a bit of a blow. It was then that we discovered that the
battery terminals were fitted with wing nuts (I know we should have checked earlier!) The wing nuts had worked loose and the battery was flat.We managed to restart with a booster and carry on. When we returned home we discovered that the engine would not charge so we booked the boat in to the main agent.
"You've fried the brain"said Mr.main agent "o dear" said I that doesn't sound cheap. "your in luck" said Mr main agent with a feral gleam in his eye "the've
come down now the are only £970,pause, plus fitting ,pause, plus VAT. Lucky me said I. Mr main agent then had to get authority from Evinrude to transfer
data from the old EMM unit to the new one then! Is it me or is the whole automotive industry getting far to complicated (it took my mate a week to find
the battery in his new Audi!) Anyway rant over just hope it saves somebody else a few bob. I am now the proud owner of the most expensive wing nuts in the UK (open to offers)
I went to replace the battery in my BMW a month ago, and discovered that if it wasnt 'exactly' the same battery with correct output .. the car would have to be re coded to 'accept' it, so that it didnt overcharge it madness I tell you
Old 14 July 2013, 22:32   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
One of the first things in the Etec rigging manual is a caution against using wingnuts. Also if you have any battery isolators make sure that they are in perfect condition & stay that way. NEVER open or close a battery isolator with the engine running.
PS that bit about the main agent having to get permission to transfer the EMM data, take it with a pinch of salt, he (the agent)is talking bollix. You can DIY with the software, I know
How much did he charge you labour to swap the EMM, it's a half hour job.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 08:49   #4

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
I can't understand the caution of wing nuts, it's just a nut with wings, if its got loose the ordinary nut would have done the same, I would think proper locking washers
Old 15 July 2013, 09:09   #5

RIBase
Thing about wing nuts is they're tightened by hand ( I know you can get pliers on 'em & give 'em a tweak but joe public sees wing nut & just hand tightens it) so eventually they come loose + because they aren't "proper" tightened, the contact between the clamp & battery post can be iffy. I use M6 stainless bolts with Nylocs. IMHO there's a flaw in the Etec, in that the charging circuit is inside the EMM, so if the rectifier pack goes, the EMM is scrap. You end up binning a grands worth of computer for a 10 bob rectifier. The EMM is a sealed un-serviceable unit, so you can't repair them, allegedly
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:17   #6

Good lock washers, there was some written stuff about nylock nuts, they come slightly loose, was written by a washer supplier but did make sense, once you've used a nylock once it becomes a nut with a plastic washer in it
Old 15 July 2013, 10:01   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Good lock washers, there was some written stuff about nylock nuts, they come slightly loose, was written by a washer supplier but did make sense, once you've used a nylock once it becomes a nut with a plastic washer in it
Yup, agreed,they are "one shot". Good lock washers are fine, just don't use 'em with wing nuts. If you need to use a tool to nip up the wing nut, it negates the point of having a wing nut in the first place, might as well just use conventional fastners & do a proper job. Wing nuts do fail As M.Thornton found out.
Old 15 July 2013, 11:35   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
At least the etec can run without a battery unlike most other current models...
Old 15 July 2013, 11:54   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
At least the etec can run without a battery unlike most other current models...
So why did the e-tec in question stop when the Battery terminals came off ?

I'd rather my engine stop than take £1000 of damage....oh and stop at the same time for any reason.

Its boring really hearing the 'etecs are amazing unlike most other current models' lines again and again....
Old 16 July 2013, 21:11   #10

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I'd rather my engine stop than take £1000 of damage....oh and stop at the same time for any reason.
Isn't that why they're all meant to have fantastic ECMS that will prevent overloads/ damage by putting the engine into "safe mode", but add to the cost of the engine. Methinks there's a flaw somewhere.
Old 16 July 2013, 21:20   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
IMHO there's a flaw in the Etec, in that the charging circuit is inside the EMM, so if the rectifier pack goes, the EMM is scrap. You end up binning a grands worth of computer for a 10 bob rectifier. The EMM is a sealed un-serviceable unit, so you can't repair them, allegedly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
So why did the e-tec in question stop when the Battery terminals came off ?

Dunno why it stopped, but the battery terminals coming off can't be blamed on the engine. What usually happens is that the terminals work loose & you get continual arcing, this would play havoc with any electricals, let alone be a fire risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Methinks there's a flaw somewhere.
See above
Old 16 July 2013, 22:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I can't understand the caution of wing nuts, it's just a nut with wings, if its got loose the ordinary nut would have done the same, I would think proper locking washers
Huge difference in torque .. as PD alluded .. think about it .. two fingers on a large nut against a 6 inch spanner in the same hand .. no contest
Old 16 July 2013, 22:17   #13

You can nip a wing nut up with fingers, screw driver, spanner, bit of a shackle, almost anything, can't do that with a nut
Old 16 July 2013, 22:32   #14

Whatever .. Sorry I made a big post but 'deleted' it for this cos I had to post 'something' in the space . I'm too tired to argue the toss
Old 17 July 2013, 07:52   #15

I'm not trying to argue with you, I've thought about what's been posted on this thread and I still can't understand this wing nut thing, if I was out on the water and somehow in the shit with batteries I would much rather have a wing nut that I could take off with a knife or anything I could jam between the wing and the thread than look for a specific spanner, you can't put a load of torque on the nut anyway because of what they are made of.
Your right though about arguing, it's too hot and I've only had 2 cuppa's
Old 17 July 2013, 08:46   #16

RIBase
There you go 'nuff said
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3399294113.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	82940  
Old 17 July 2013, 09:18   #17

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Dunno why it stopped, but the battery terminals coming off can't be blamed on the engine. What usually happens is that the terminals work loose & you get continual arcing, this would play havoc with any electricals, let alone be a fire risk

See above
Don't know why it stopped,but stopped it did we thought at first that it was a fuel problem because the engine spluttered and died then when we tried to raise the leg we realised that we had no electrical power.Could it have been the
fuel pump,does that need power? any way as soon as we connected the booster we were off and running,we didn't realise at the time that we had no charging facility
Mike T.
Old 17 July 2013, 09:34   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Don't know why it stopped,but stopped it did we thought at first that it was a fuel problem because the engine spluttered and died then when we tried to raise the leg we realised that we had no electrical power.Could it have been the
fuel pump,does that need power? any way as soon as we connected the booster we were off and running,we didn't realise at the time that we had no charging facility
Mike T.
It sounds like the charging circuit went early on, possibly on the previous outing even, which means you lost the 12v output from the emm, this supplies the high pressure fuel pump & the other 12v systems & charges the battery. The systems would have been running off the battery until it either a, went flat or b, the terminal came off, at that point you lost fuel pressure. Considering the conditions that day, you probably hit a wave & the bump was the final straw & the terminal let go. Etecs WILL run without a battery but only if the 12v output from the EMM is intact, which in this case it wasn't. Running without a battery is a bit of a moot point imho, because you have to start it without the battery, you can't start it on battery & then disconnect it, as it nukes the EMM, as you know There is a video somewhere of someone pull starting a 150, but I wouldn't want to try it on a 250 big block
Old 17 July 2013, 10:10   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
fuel pump,does that need power? .
No, the etec is the only current engine which needs no battery once started.
Old 17 July 2013, 10:30   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
No, the etec is the only current engine which needs no battery once started.
Careful fella