Old 18 July 2013, 10:03   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Wasted 5 minutes of my life

Email from Mailspeed Marine this morning offering insurance quotes, and as my current insurance is very expensive and I'm about to start looking at options I thought I'd give it a go.

After all, Haven Knox-Johnston, being named after the very first man to sail single handedly round the world, would surely be happy to help anywhere...

Email a few minutes later (probably less time than it took to fill in the online form)

"I regret to advise that due location of the craft we are unable to offer any terms"

Presumably Robin the explorer doesn't use his own insurance company for his 'round robins'?

Anybody got any suggestions for companies to do RIB insurance in out of the way parts of the world? It can't be rocket science; I'd usually have to try really hard to find another boat under way here never mind run in to it!!!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 10:15   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
.... And it ain't going to get nicked, might get mined though:P

Try Mercia marine, don't know if they do your part of the world but they are "bespoke" & not just off the shelf stuff. If you get stuck drop me a pm,
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 12:31   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: ship called DIGNATTY
Make: Europa Sport 3.3m
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
Send a message via Skype™ to Natalie123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Email from Mailspeed Marine this morning offering insurance quotes, and as my current insurance is very expensive and I'm about to start looking at options I thought I'd give it a go.

After all, Haven Knox-Johnston, being named after the very first man to sail single handedly round the world, would surely be happy to help anywhere...

Email a few minutes later (probably less time than it took to fill in the online form)

"I regret to advise that due location of the craft we are unable to offer any terms"

Presumably Robin the explorer doesn't use his own insurance company for his 'round robins'?

Anybody got any suggestions for companies to do RIB insurance in out of the way parts of the world? It can't be rocket science; I'd usually have to try really hard to find another boat under way here never mind run in to it!!!

I use Insure My Boat! Give them a whirl!
Natalie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2013, 20:27   #4

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Try Pawthcawl works for us ... never been a problem
Old 18 July 2013, 21:08   #5

i just got my renewal in and it is up quite a bit :-(

paying the price for all these outboards being nicked now perhaps.

i'm about to go on the hunt over next few days for a quote. my boat is more than my car now for 20 hours use per year and stored in secure compound, a nonsense really.

cheers
Old 19 July 2013, 00:08   #6

Town: Fareham
Just a question and please don't shoot me down but... If it's not going to be nicked and you're not going to run in to any other boats, why do you want specific boat insurance? Is it for total loss or damage at sea or just 3rd party cover that you're after?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2013, 00:11   #7

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Try Pawthcawl works for us ... never been a problem
That's who I'm with and the premiums have stayed pretty static over the last few years too.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2013, 08:05   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I;vce used 3rd party sinvce I got mine....

...granted if the engine was nicjked crimewatch would be saying "polie are looking for a bloke with dodgy eyesight"!

Granted mine is nearer the low end of the "value" spectrum, but I worked out that even including the cost of the engine rebuild & the toys I would have broken even as long as nobody nicks it for 4.5 years if I went 3rd P vs fully comp.....

I just make sure I park it beside something shiny for "added security"!
Old 19 July 2013, 12:19   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
A mate of mine is in the game - Richard at Unicover and he reckons he can insure anything - not sure if that covers "Everywhere" or not but you could give him a call 01903 211462 or his email is: rna@unicover.org.uk
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2013, 15:21   #10

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Just a question and please don't shoot me down but... If it's not going to be nicked and you're not going to run in to any other boats, why do you want specific boat insurance? Is it for total loss or damage at sea or just 3rd party cover that you're after?
'Just in case' but the main risks would be

- Fire or some other total loss at sea, low risk but it's a lot of money if it happens...
- Catastrophic trailer or towing failure dumping it on the road

Zero risk of theft - at my old house in town, it sat on its trailer with the keys in it, no hitch lock, no trailer security, would be no likelihood of anybody nicking it. I don't even know what an engine lock looks like! Though some kind soul did loosen the wheelnuts on the trailer once.

I'm only after hull insurance to cover the above, not bothered about 3P really, nobody to run in to, I don't make a habit of carrying non-family passengers anyway. Given I've done 90hrs in 3 years and paid about £3000 in insurance premiums, the insurance costs more than the fuel which is silly...

Yacht insurance seems to be no problem here but nobody is interested in powerboats.

Thanks for the tips I'll follow a couple of them up and see where I go

Failing that I think I'll just self-insure and pocket the money, and if it happens it happens.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote