RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Would make it easier to just push the button, especially if the users have no clue where you currently at.
And the sib, wafi, sailing club rescue boat or other non dsc user a mile away will be oblivious to the issue. CG may well relay your location by voice but it's not necessarily easy for those boats to quickly compute a lat long into that boat over the otherside of the bay!
Old 12 May 2015, 15:01   #22

Quote:
Having some untrained, inexperienced, person trying to describe where they are while having no clue, will not expedite a rescue.
You dont want a conversation, you need assistance.
The signal transmitted gives lat/long
In addition some other radio sets (not CG) will sound an alarm and display the location of the casualty vessel with bearing and distance (at least mine does), which could mean faster assistance.
As I said push button followed by voice, even if that's just 'I need help' ... It takes the doubt away that the DSC alert is a false alarm.

Old 13 May 2015, 00:15   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
As I said push button followed by voice, even if that's just 'I need help' ... It takes the doubt away that the DSC alert is a false alarm.
Are you implying that a button-initiated DSC mayday is given a lower priority than a voice call?

That doesn't sound right.

jky
Old 13 May 2015, 03:19   #24

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
And the sib, wafi, sailing club rescue boat or other non dsc user a mile away will be oblivious to the issue. CG may well relay your location by voice but it's not necessarily easy for those boats to quickly compute a lat long into that boat over the otherside of the bay!
and of course the CG are so stupid that they cant look at the lat long and describe the position to non dsc vessels......

I am not saying don't use voice, i am being a realist, in a real emergency, (fire on board) a non boaty will not be worried about protocol and the "right" way to do, so the simplest is the best.

If it's a MOB and the button is pushed the CG with have a start point to work from and they have fairly comprehensive drift calculations a to figure out a start area.

Any way i provided links to a script for Trimix as well, so I am not sure why the high horses are out?
Old 13 May 2015, 04:00   #25
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Would make it easier to just push the button, especially if the users have no clue where you currently at.
Quote:
Having some untrained, inexperienced, person trying to describe where they are while having no clue, will not expedite a rescue.
You dont want a conversation, you need assistance.
The signal transmitted gives lat/long
In addition some other radio sets (not CG) will sound an alarm and display the location of the casualty vessel with bearing and distance (at least mine does), which could mean faster assistance.
Quote:
......so I am not sure why the high horses are out?
In my case, I disagreed with you because you posted opinion that (to my reading) downplayed the importance of PAX being able to make VOX contact in the event on an emergency. I'm not on my high horse BTW, I just thought that your advice was at best limited in it's scope or at worst, dangerous. In fairness, you have clarified your position re voice comms and it seems to be the same as the other posters - eg, DSC alert followed by VOX if required. If you read over your posts above, you'll see where some readers could have misunderstood your comments? Anyway - all good now
Old 13 May 2015, 04:06   #26

Length: 5m +
No one else picking up the irony of the French ignoring an English "m'aidez"
Old 13 May 2015, 05:51   #27

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
The same irony would apply to a 'Pan-pan' call.

For what it's worth, here is the Mayday procedure sign stuck on Grimalkin's console next to the radio:

MAYDAY PROCEDURE

1. Open the cover of the RED distress button
2. Press the RED distress button momentarily
3. If time allows select the nature of the distress (ie fire, sinking, collision etc)
4. Press and hold the RED distress button for five seconds or until the unit tells you that the message has been sent
5. Release the RED distress button. The unit will set itself to Channel 16.
6. Wait 15 seconds or until an acknowledgement of the signal is received.
7. Press the button on the microphone and, speaking slowly and clearly, say:

"Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. This is RIB Grimalkin, Grimalkin, Grimalkin. My MMSI number is 235050647. My Call Sign is Mike Victor November Uniform Six. Mayday RIB Grimalkin. MMSI number 235050647, Call Sign Mike Victor November Uniform Six.

My position is [give position in latitude and longitude from GPS or true bearing and distance from known landmark]

I am [give nature of distress: eg on fire/sinking/swamped/man overboard]

I require immediate assistance.

There are [number] people on board. Over."
Old 13 May 2015, 06:37   #28
WDI

Town: Storrington, West Sussex
Make: Avon
Engine: '64 Evinrude 18hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
...This is RIB Grimalkin...
Here's a query for those of you with SIBs.
Would you say "This is SIB 'blah blah'..."?

SIB still seems to be a somewhat unknown term in some areas outside of our circle. I even know RIB owners who've never heard the term.

Thoughts?
Old 13 May 2015, 06:56   #29

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
I was taught to say
"... This is <boat name>, I am a 3.8m inflatable boat with 2 people on board..."
If needs be give more information at the end of the call, such as colour etc.

If I was kayaking I'd say
"This is kayak <blah>, I am 3m purple kayak" or something to that effect, as in my mind the purple does add great benefit to a very small footprint.

Important thing is to get the crucial information out first such as where you are then add additional information.

You could say that you're a RIB and include the length. From a helicopter or even sea level from a distance you're going to look pretty similar and you'd hope that most people involved in the rescue would work out that a 2/3/4m RIB isn't going to be dissimilar to a SIB anyway. Exceptions being perhaps that a 4m RIB is more likely to have a fixed VHF not handheld and possibly more likely to have more lifesaving items like (more) flares, food/water etc than perhaps a 4m SIB... depends how well stocked you are...

Being a SIBber, I'd probably just call it a RIB anyway. Shorter and fewer words to say.

Being pedantic about your hull construction is likely to be the least of your worries in that situation!
Old 13 May 2015, 07:03   #30
WDI

Town: Storrington, West Sussex
Make: Avon
Engine: '64 Evinrude 18hp
RIBase
That pretty much echoes my thoughts.

In a Mayday situation I may well be keen to make it clear that I'm in an inflatable with shallow draft and not a solid hulled boat.
Hence my reluctance to use terms like SIB which it seems are often misunderstood.