Old 19 April 2006, 17:07   #41

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
True enough, but I have seen the boat in the "flesh" so to speak and one side appears to be "banana shaped" and the other straight (ish). I will ask the owner if we can take more photo's if you wish.. perhaps with the help of a straight edge to remove the subjectivity

all my 6.3m ribs are the same. pop over to our factory, you can spend all day rolling around in the mould if you want? if that stops you waisting my time?

are you in the boat storage place where the rib used to be??
Old 19 April 2006, 17:26   #42
Gav

Town: Midlands
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeewayComposite
I think if you looked at our ribs, which you have not obviously, you would find it on both sides. as it was designed and built to be like it.
yes i have looked at your rib, and i can say catagorically that the port side has a "hook", the stbd side does not! Funny how several people say the same thing! So tell me how this is built into the design?
Old 19 April 2006, 17:40   #43

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Old 19 April 2006, 17:42   #44

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
are you in the boat storage place where the rib used to be??
Yes.. why? If you wish to look over my boat for some reason I'll be happy to meet you there, or Stuart or Jasper, could show you round. If that is some sort of veiled threat to the safety of my boat, you would be making a mistake. I would love to visit your unit as I can see the plug that you designed and took the mould off and remove all this "splashing" controversy. I'm down either later this week or early next week, whichever is convenient.
Old 19 April 2006, 18:50   #45

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
If that is some sort of veiled threat to the safety of my boat, you would be making a mistake.
I'm sure Mr Leeway isn't stupid enough to even think of such a thing!

Damaging anyones boat in spite, would indeed be a mistake of biblical proportions.
Old 19 April 2006, 19:01   #46

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by G L
Just finished reading lengthy Talk about leeway 'splashing design' !!! Can anyone tell tell me if the end product is any Good ??? Thanks for your advice G L
All I can say is that you should base your new purchase in two area's.

1. Speak to everyone that owns the particular Make and model of RIB that your interested in to get a feeling of Quality, after sales and just gut feelings.

2. Go and see for yourself, ask the questions and have a play (hands on approach)

Trouble with the first one is that if you're dealing with a small producer, it might be difficult to find numbers of customers that will give you feedback. "Is it worth the gamble" I hear you telling yourself! Maybe, maybe not! Quite often a small supplier of RIB's will offer them cheaper as overheads are cheaper and he might be trying to make a name for himself and be aware that happy customers will sell RIB's for him, just by word of mouth.

Contact Leeway and ask him to supply details of previous customers so that you can get their views.

If you don't feel confident buying from a little known RIB manufacturer, might well be worth saving a bit and going for a more well known RIB manufacturer RIBcraft, Osprey, Solent but to name a few. You will get a proven quality product but will cost you much money when it's quite possible there's a cheaper and just as capable (for your needs) alternitive.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 20:09   #47

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I owned a South African boat it make was wild cat That had a hooked hull at the sterned .Having asked at several boat builders it was their opion that it was a manufactureing fault and bad workmanship.I cant of course comment on leeways hull as i have never seen it.
Old 19 April 2006, 20:13   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fear
I owned a South African boat it make was wild cat That had a hooked hull at the sterned .Having asked at several boat builders it was their opion that it was a manufactureing fault and bad workmanship.I cant of course comment on leeways hull as i have never seen it.
No, No, No! Leeways port side 'hook' was 'designed' in, using his computer aided design package, to enhance the rough water ability. Don't you rissen to nuffink?
Old 19 April 2006, 20:15   #49

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
One thing you should also consider in your purchase would be who supplies the tubes for the hull and wether or not they have a good standard of workmanship .I cant help as i dont knw who supplies to leeway.
Old 19 April 2006, 22:10   #50

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
Slanging match

Get a life guys! I'm new to RIB ing but one thing I've learnt is that there are a lot of opiniated people on this forum who have many axes to grind. We all have our favourites and that includes the boats we use, but ultimately we're in this to have a good time out at sea in fantastic machines that we have the great privilege to be able to afford.

Of course there are design similarities but show me one RIB design that is "unique" and I'll eat my stethoscope!

I've never seen a Leeway but they look like great boats to me (novice) and are obviously built and designed by a passionate enthusiast. Good luck to him. If you don't like them then you don't have to buy them.

By the way, you may have seen my previous threads about buying my first RIB. Well I bought a second hand RIBEYE from JBT. She is beautifully made, wonderful out in Plymouth sound and brings a wide grin to my face...i.e. I dont care if people dont like her.

So guys, get out on yer boats, shutdown your computers and stop slagging each other off.....its so dull!

And get laid!!!!!

Jon (back from the pub and going out again)
Old 19 April 2006, 22:44   #51
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmitch
Get a life guys! I'm new to RIB ing but one thing I've learnt is that there are a lot of opiniated people on this forum who have many axes to grind. We all have our favourites and that includes the boats we use, but ultimately we're in this to have a good time out at sea in fantastic machines that we have the great privilege to be able to afford.

Of course there are design similarities but show me one RIB design that is "unique" and I'll eat my stethoscope!

I've never seen a Leeway but they look like great boats to me (novice) and are obviously built and designed by a passionate enthusiast. Good luck to him. If you don't like them then you don't have to buy them.

By the way, you may have seen my previous threads about buying my first RIB. Well I bought a second hand RIBEYE from JBT. She is beautifully made, wonderful out in Plymouth sound and brings a wide grin to my face...i.e. I dont care if people dont like her.

So guys, get out on yer boats, shutdown your computers and stop slagging each other off.....its so dull!

And get laid!!!!!

Jon (back from the pub and going out again)
Fair enough Jon,
I agree with most of that, apart from the proximity of the words "beautifully made" and "Ribeye" to each other (just winding you up)
The Leeway topic has been extensively debated and exhausted from every angle, just search here or on www.boatmad.com/forum.
The main accusation is that Leeway spalshed (copied/ stole took a mould of the running surface of a Phantom 18 hard boat ( a very sucessful widely respected hardboat).
I suspect it is a splash, along with many others although this is now very common in the boating world. Im far to busy and cant really be arsed to object to it, just merely accept that it goes on and to buy something else. There are other enthusiasts however that are offended by the act of splashing, and thier views must not be ignored, similarly mainly boat builders such as Gav, realise the time and effort and expense that goes into designing a boat from scratch and get fecked off when a splash take place.
I have no axe to grind against Leeway composites and I have no idea whether its a splash or not and would not have the experience to tell you I wish him the best of luck with his venture, and I think the finished product looks good.
Lets lay this to rest,
Old 20 April 2006, 06:42   #52

Quote:
I've never seen a Leeway but they look like great boats to me
I sincerely hope you are more careful in diagnosing your patients before offering your opinion...

"Mrs Jones, I'm sorry I haven't been able to see you, but from the pictures your husband sent in, you've obviously got indigestion..nothing to worry about"

"Yes Mr Jones? I'm sorry to hear that Mrs Jones has died from a ruptured appendix, but it's not my fault, the picture looked fine.....and I'm just off down the pub...to see if I can get laid...."
Old 20 April 2006, 07:04   #53

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
Cheers Jono.

Now, about that indigestion.
Old 20 April 2006, 09:54   #54

Quote:
I find the whole splashing and design theft thing deeply annoying, if you're new to boating (a small, 'cottage' industry) you'll not understand the implications of this practice, or the ease with which it can be done, and the effect it has on the very rare breed of person who DOES have the knowledge, skill and insight to design and develop new products in the field. Therefore, I consider your advise worthless and insulting!

However, all said and done, i'm a realist, and am fully aware that the practice goes on, on a daily basis, and as there are far more people who want to be boatbuilders, than there are people 'able' to do the whole process themselves (or willing to pay a designer & plugmaker) it's likely to continue, as long as people are happy to buy from them.

What really does get me going tho', is the bare faced lies that some splashers will tell about the origins of their obvious splash! "I designed it"...."I designed it using CAD"...."I built the plug from my design, taking some influence from a previous design". These ridiculous claims are no more than a insult to the intelligence of anyone 'in the know' within the boating world. Clearly not everyone is 'in the know', and to those people this probably looks like a load of bollix over nothing, but I am 'in the know' and have a good enough understanding of hull design, plug building and boatbuilding to know exactly whats going on here.

If these designer/builders would show the CAD drawings, calculations, and photos of the tooling plug being made, all of which, anyone who'd truely put in the thousands of hours & £s needed, would have been kept as a record, if only for their own interest, it would stop all the speculation, but I rather suspect there won't be any such pics posted here.

In short, why don't thse people have the courage of their convictions?

JF
Old 20 April 2006, 09:58   #55

thank you all for this advitising. since this outburst i have had a phone ringing off the hook. taken 2 deposits and have 4 demo runs to arrange (just on the 6.3m). i have one person placed a deposit on a 9.3m (i have no mould for yet) work underway. A company wanting to invest in production on a 12.3m . allso a pm from a chap wanting to start a business selling my ribs and wants 10 - 20 asap....

i need more staff...
Old 20 April 2006, 09:58   #56

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:

Would you like ketchup with that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BS Banner 2 Small S.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	18584  
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2006, 10:02   #57

Quote:
..... i have had a phone ringing off the hook. ...
How appropriate....
Old 20 April 2006, 10:05   #58

Quote:
thank you all for this advitising. since this outburst i have had a phone ringing off the hook. taken 2 deposits and have 4 demo runs to arrange (just on the 6.3m). i have one person placed a deposit on a 9.3m (i have no mould for yet) work underway. A company wanting to invest in production on a 12.3m . allso a pm from a chap wanting to start a business selling my ribs and wants 10 - 20 asap....

i need more staff...
Jackanory!

Quote:
allso a pm from a chap wanting to start a business selling my ribs and wants 10 - 20 asap....
Was his name Manos?

Your imagination continues to amaze me.

What on earth are you gonna splash to make a 40' rib
Old 20 April 2006, 10:12   #59

We will be at rib ex see our 8.3m there.

anyone want to chat to me about our ribs speak to me direct.....

Lee

p.s. 28 foot pahantom wanted........
Old 20 April 2006, 10:17   #60

Quote:
We will be at rib ex see our 8.3m there.

anyone want to chat to me about our ribs speak to me direct.....

Lee

p.s. 28 foot pahantom wanted........

Which day is Jono coming to see you? I think I'll join him. Can't wait to see your virtual plug!

PS. WTF is a pahantom you halfwit?