Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Does your load include battery?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Old 08 November 2018, 15:00   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
What about an actor...
Maybe run with Peter Dinklage or similar?

Old 08 November 2018, 15:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
Have you checked what your tow vehicle's maximum unbraked trailer weight is?
Not all vehicles can tow the unbraked 750Kg limit.

Good luck with your rig hope it goes well

Thank you seaflyer.

Kerb weight of my vehicle is 1658kgs so the trailers gross can not exceed 829kgs without being braked, well within that .

Have towed boats all over the country from Cornwall to Scotland and in between, never had a single issue in 20 years of towing / boating, not so much as a flat tyre.

Always people who know better so canít always win, but Iíll stick to my tried and tested (legal) methods.

So far Iím only at 620kgs without an engine, chances are once the engine is fitted it MAY exceed trailers max gross (by a small margin) BUT until the engine is fitted and full rig weighed I canít be 100% what the total weight will be without guessing.

Got 130kgs to play with, as mentioned Iím not concerned with carrying all the bits and pieces in the boat and adding weight as thatís not something Iíve ever done, if I stick to a 70 / 75 hp chances are I could keep it within the limit, but until fitted and weighed no one know .
Old 08 November 2018, 15:07   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatandsecret View Post
To spend a couple of thousand on another trailer when the one I have had been weighed and checked and is perfectly suitable is madness and completely unnecessary ��.

Once the engine is on Iíll get it weighed again
As someone who removes ropes and stuff to come in under the 3500kg "absolute max" limit I hear your pain. I've done exactly what you plan to do - weigh in "light ship" and carry the excess in the load bay. It works, it's legal - what's not to like....

...actually, now that I think about it - coming down Glenariff in the snow
Old 08 November 2018, 15:26   #25

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Quote:
Thank you seaflyer.

Kerb weight of my vehicle is 1658kgs so the trailers gross can not exceed 829kgs without being braked, well within that .

Have towed boats all over the country from Cornwall to Scotland and in between, never had a single issue in 20 years of towing / boating, not so much as a flat tyre.

Always people who know better so can’t always win, but I’ll stick to my tried and tested (legal) methods.

So far I’m only at 620kgs without an engine, chances are once the engine is fitted it MAY exceed trailers max gross (by a small margin) BUT until the engine is fitted and full rig weighed I can’t be 100% what the total weight will be without guessing.

Got 130kgs to play with, as mentioned I’m not concerned with carrying all the bits and pieces in the boat and adding weight as that’s not something I’ve ever done, if I stick to a 70 / 75 hp chances are I could keep it within the limit, but until fitted and weighed no one know .
If the outboard is advertised at 130kg there is not a chance it will be 130kg (they normally use shortest shaft for weight if generic spec sheet) on the transom, you need to add prop, oil, power harness, gauges, loom, remotes etc (PD mentions a battery?)

If you are bothered about being over the limit It would be prudent to buy your engine very carefully.

This isn't about knowing better, it is just simple adding up that the trailer and boat with intended engine won't go.

If I knew the real weight of my boat I wouldn't have bought it so I'm trying to save you the pain of some of what I went through.

But it is your licence and boat......
Old 08 November 2018, 15:51   #26

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Thank you seaflyer.

Kerb weight of my vehicle is 1658kgs so the trailers gross can not exceed 829kgs without being braked,

Always people who know better so canít always win, but Iíll stick to my tried and tested (legal) methods.

Who gave you the info about 829kg unbraked?

I think you will find the maximum of any car in the UK is 750kg unbraked
Old 08 November 2018, 15:53   #27

How to value.

Quote:
If the outboard is advertised at 130kg there is not a chance it will be 130kg (they normally use shortest shaft for weight if generic spec sheet) on the transom, you need to add prop, oil, power harness, gauges, loom, remotes etc (PD mentions a battery?)

If you are bothered about being over the limit It would be prudent to buy your engine very carefully.

This isn't about knowing better, it is just simple adding up that the trailer and boat with intended engine won't go.

If I knew the real weight of my boat I wouldn't have bought it so I'm trying to save you the pain of some of what I went through.

But it is your licence and boat......

You are like a dog with a bone.

Iíve had it weighed, it is 620kgs, the ďintendedĒ engine is just one Iíve looked at, could go up or down, already said if itís 1kg over Iíll upgrade the trailer AND buy you a pint.

20 years of experience with boats and towing, Iím no novice to this game, my question wasnít about if my rig is suitable, it was about value of the trailer and rib minus the engine, if someone wanted to buy it without checking the basics for themselves then thatís up to them.

On a different note, just wondering if fitting this prop would affect engine weight by much !?
Maybe you could help me with this one dubrus ?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8305.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	127620
Old 08 November 2018, 16:18   #28

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I did the maths on my zodiac 550 tour ( lightest of the 550's)
315kg hull
119kg Yam f 70
220kg heavy duty trailer
All well under our breaked trailer 750kg limit unfortunately after taking it to the local weigh ridge to get the legal road worthy documentation the weight turned out to be just under 900kg

Spare wheel, heavy duty battery, 100lt underfloor fuel, anchor and chain, safety gear all adds up apparently.

The same went for a little 4.5m boat I had a couple of years ago, loaded up pushed it over a ton, given it had a 45mm comercial hull.
Old 08 November 2018, 16:38   #29

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Quote:
You are like a dog with a bone.

I’ve had it weighed, it is 620kgs, the “intended” engine is just one I’ve looked at, could go up or down, already said if it’s 1kg over I’ll upgrade the trailer AND buy you a pint.

20 years of experience with boats and towing, I’m no novice to this game, my question wasn’t about if my rig is suitable, it was about value of the trailer and rib minus the engine, if someone wanted to buy it without checking the basics for themselves then that’s up to them.

On a different note, just wondering if fitting this prop would affect engine weight by much !?
Maybe you could help me with this one dubrus ?
Attachment 127620
Totally my bad, clearly you are a pro at boating and towing.

I'm glad you are not a novice, I was worried there that a novice asked us to price their stuff, thinks the boat is same weight as the maker claims a bare boat is and thinks 130kg advertised engine weight is the ready to go weight, totally novice stuff that but clearly that isn't your good self.

My apologies for doubting you.
Old 08 November 2018, 17:02   #30

How to value.

Quote:

My apologies for doubting you.

Apology accepted .