Closed Thread

Old 09 November 2018, 12:16   #41
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Well if the OP's original question (remember that!)...
Only vaguely - I was merely providing a counterpoint to the gallery.

P.S. I checked carefully and I couldn't find the Diatribe on the list. Yet I know they have decendants...
Old 09 November 2018, 13:11   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Well to answer the original question, I’d say £1200-1500 for the hull & £350 for the Trailer. Whether they are matched/compatible/suitable is irrelevant. The question was what are they worth, & that (in my ‘umble opinion) is what I would pay if I was in the market. Which I’m not.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 09 November 2018, 14:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Well to answer the original question, I’d say £1200-1500 for the hull & £350 for the Trailer. Whether they are matched/compatible/suitable is irrelevant. The question was what are they worth, & that (in my ‘umble opinion) is what I would pay if I was in the market. Which I’m not.
Thank you Dave, finally someone who speaks sense ��.

P.S Now I know why they call you pikey ��.
Old 09 November 2018, 16:35   #44

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Dry weight is not including different console, seats etc normally, given you only have 30kg to play with I wouldn't be confident that is okay without getting it weighed.

I found this exact thing out at GREAT expense, the dealer even weighed my boat but the drystack forklift was way off. get it to your weight bridge, I bet you are surprised.....i was! . I now have 2 cars, new trailer and bigger marina bill due to the forklift feek up.

Breezeblock had a 5.3 humber and I think it was about 1000kg all up, he may see this and reply and may get you a better idea.

In terms of value, I'd think about 3.5k given time of year. For insurance i would just say 4k, 1k for trailer and 3k for rest, outboard will push it up obviously depending on what you put on there.
1120 kg sitting on the trailer from memory and I don't think that was full of fuel
Old 09 November 2018, 17:44   #45
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeyDave
I’d say £1200-1500 for the hull & £350 for the Trailer. Whether they are matched/compatible/suitable is irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatandsecret View Post
Thank you Dave, finally someone who speaks sense.
No the combined value of a well matched rig is worth more than the sum of the component parts. So if that trailer belongs with that hull (and a sensible engine) it is worth more that if you have to buy the rig and then sell the trailer (with the hassle involved) and buy another trailer (with the hassle involved).
Old 09 November 2018, 17:54   #46
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
If the buyer realises that, then it doesn’t devalue the boat (original question) it just reduces the amount of buyers as you rightly mention... I’m the seller, I don’t mind how narrow my market is...
you might want to brush up on some simple economics. The less desirable your product is, to fewer buyers the lower the price you will attain.

Quote:
... and I don’t get why it bothers you so much...
So again what’s your point ?
you have a somewhat strange way of getting on with people who are responding to a thread you started seeking advice.

Quote:
If you keep buying stuff without checking out first if it’s suits your needs then I’m afraid I can’t help that and all I can say is do your homework first.
I've never suggested that I'd accidentally buy a rig that I had to unload the anchor from to tow. In fact, its you thats managed to find yourself in the odd position of owning a boat that you don't know its value and were unaware how close to the legal limit it was.
Old 09 November 2018, 17:59   #47

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Ouch. Felt rather guilty initially raising the trailer query after the OP went to the trouble of going down the weigh bridge route. Commendable, even if results indicate maybe sailing rather close to the wind.

As thread progressed, my guilt level sadly decreased as apparent OP, in seller mode, is clearly comfortable with the principle ‘caveat emptor’.
Old 09 November 2018, 18:34   #48

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Why so many threads end up this way [emoji20]

He did say he would weigh it once the engine was on then if it was over limit buy another trailer .. case closed surely on the trailer weight front?

On value, very tricky to put a figure on it. If there are comparable products buyers obviously set a benchmark of an expected price, if not - try the market. I think rather than lowering the value (I.e having a trailer which may be borderline) it would rather possibly remove those buyers who don’t want to put heavier items in their cars - but there will also be those who won’t mind. It’s a balance between how quick you want to sell and the price you want to attain.
Old 09 November 2018, 18:48   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Why so many threads end up this way [emoji20]

He did say he would weigh it once the engine was on then if it was over limit buy another trailer .. case closed surely on the trailer weight front?

On value, very tricky to put a figure on it. If there are comparable products buyers obviously set a benchmark of an expected price, if not - try the market. I think rather than lowering the value (I.e having a trailer which may be borderline) it would rather possibly remove those buyers who don’t want to put heavier items in their cars - but there will also be those who won’t mind. It’s a balance between how quick you want to sell and the price you want to attain.

Thank you expertski.

Not sure why that was so hard for others to understand.

Kind of gave up in the end, once a forum closes ranks you don’t really stand a chance regardless of topic.
Old 09 November 2018, 18:53   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Ouch. Felt rather guilty initially raising the trailer query after the OP went to the trouble of going down the weigh bridge route. Commendable, even if results indicate maybe sailing rather close to the wind.

As thread progressed, my guilt level sadly decreased as apparent OP, in seller mode, is clearly comfortable with the principle ‘caveat emptor’.

The rib is not for sale, I did state in the beginning that it was just a rough value for insurance OR selling purposes as I’ve not owned many ribs to be able to make a educated guess.

Got to love someone who chucks a bit of Latin into the conversation to show just how clever they are, bravo chipko, bravo [emoji122].

The sad thing is, if you knew the first thing about me you would understand why none of what you said makes any sense, I’ve thanked all those who gave good advice as I always do.
Old 09 November 2018, 19:05   #51

At least I have a drink coming, you missed the boat folks...
Old 09 November 2018, 19:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
you might want to brush up on some simple economics. The less desirable your product is, to fewer buyers the lower the price you will attain.

you have a somewhat strange way of getting on with people who are responding to a thread you started seeking advice.

I've never suggested that I'd accidentally buy a rig that I had to unload the anchor from to tow. In fact, its you thats managed to find yourself in the odd position of owning a boat that you don't know its value and were unaware how close to the legal limit it was.

If a boat is properly valued at £5000, it’s worth £5000 wether 1 person or 100 people are interested, it may raise the price due to demand but it certainly won’t lower the VALUE, you can choose to lower the PRICE to sell but it doesn’t change the VALUE. maybe you could help me understand more about these economics you speak of 🧐.

40+ boats bought and sold, 40+ happy customers with only 1 minor issue that got sorted very quickly.
only 3 of them were ribs, hence the rib value question asked on a forum for ribs..hard to grasp I know but kind of made sense to me at the time.

I get along with people just fine, but if you want to make sarcastic comments that hold no value to the actual topic, then don’t expect me to sit back and take it without replying.

Again your last comment about being “close to the legal limit” has no grounds, the boat has NO engine and I’ve not decided on an engine that’s going on it as yet, at this moment it weighs 620kgs which is considerably under limit, and as I’ve mentioned (which you so cleverly ignored) once OR if an engine is fitted I will be getting it weighed once more and then if it’s so much as 1kg over I’ll upgrade trailer.....so once again, what’s is your point ?

I can’t see a point, but I’m sure you will find one to attempt to make.

Can’t wait [emoji106].
Old 09 November 2018, 19:15   #53

My offer still stands, have no idea of the price of a pint nowadays but after my lesson in economics from poly I’m sure I’ll have a better understanding of price V value ��.
Old 09 November 2018, 19:34   #54

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
To get a value insurance companies would accept I wonder if anyone has used marine surveyors?

When you get insurance they ask you your thoughts on value ... but presumably if something happens they work out their own estimation on value using a surveyor of some kind ... I have asked a marine surveyor / broker to see what they think mine is worth for insurance purposes.

What do most people do?
Old 09 November 2018, 19:38   #55

I'd send it now and get it over with and save the weight bridge cost, throwing money away.

I'll do you a turn and save you the hassle of going and paying, print this out-

Humber 5.5, extreme trailer and "130kg" outboard = 785kg

May as well throw the anchor, fuel, rope etc on there and call it 850kg

Bosh, print, done, NEXT!
Old 09 November 2018, 19:46   #56

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Got to love someone who chucks a bit of Latin into the conversation to show just how clever they are, bravo chipko, bravo [emoji122].

Hmm. Guilty tank now empty. Cheers
Old 09 November 2018, 19:53   #57

You’re doing it again.

You have already bought and fitted an engine for me and decided on the weight.
Take a day off ��.

Note my OP says 5.2 - 5.5 as not 100% sure how the measurement is taken, I’m sure you will be a part time expert in that also so look forward to that ��.

What you failed to spot, which is funny really, is that I’ve already got the ACTUAL weight of the boat alone with majority of fittings, but your calculations have added an extra 35kgs to that weight, for someone so obsessed with weights of chart plotters and a fuel line it really is a bit of an oversight on your part...you can’t have it both WEIGHS .......see what I did there ��
Old 09 November 2018, 19:55   #58

I have used my local marine shop previously to get a rough estimate (non rib related), insurance companies seemed ok to take that as a rough guide, never had to claim though so no idea what the actually payment would have been compared to their estimate.
Old 09 November 2018, 20:01   #59

Quote:
You’re doing it again.

You have already bought and fitted an engine for me and decided on the weight.
Take a day off ��.

Note my OP says 5.2 - 5.5 as not 100% sure how the measurement is taken, I’m sure you will be a part time expert in that also so look forward to that ��.

What you failed to spot, which is funny really, is that I’ve already got the ACTUAL weight of the boat alone with majority of fittings, but your calculations have added an extra 35kgs to that weight, for someone so obsessed with weights of chart plotters and a fuel line it really is a bit of an oversight on your part...you can’t have it both WEIGHS .......see what I did there ��
YOU said it was 130kg, not me.

You have failed to spot so much it isn't worth quoting, funny none the less for clearly an expert.
Old 09 November 2018, 20:14   #60

Again, I said a engine I had looked at was approx 130kgs, not an engine that has been bought or fitted.

You’ve been very vocal so far D, why stop now, please point out my failings so that I may learn from you, how else would us novices learn if it wasn’t for you experts.