Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Does your load include battery?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 08 November 2018, 19:00   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
What about an actor...
Maybe run with Peter Dinklage or similar?
Old 08 November 2018, 19:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
Have you checked what your tow vehicle's maximum unbraked trailer weight is?
Not all vehicles can tow the unbraked 750Kg limit.

Good luck with your rig hope it goes well

Thank you seaflyer.

Kerb weight of my vehicle is 1658kgs so the trailers gross can not exceed 829kgs without being braked, well within that [emoji106].

Have towed boats all over the country from Cornwall to Scotland and in between, never had a single issue in 20 years of towing / boating, not so much as a flat tyre.

Always people who know better so can’t always win, but I’ll stick to my tried and tested (legal) methods.

So far I’m only at 620kgs without an engine, chances are once the engine is fitted it MAY exceed trailers max gross (by a small margin) BUT until the engine is fitted and full rig weighed I can’t be 100% what the total weight will be without guessing.

Got 130kgs to play with, as mentioned I’m not concerned with carrying all the bits and pieces in the boat and adding weight as that’s not something I’ve ever done, if I stick to a 70 / 75 hp chances are I could keep it within the limit, but until fitted and weighed no one know [emoji16].
Old 08 November 2018, 19:07   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatandsecret View Post
To spend a couple of thousand on another trailer when the one I have had been weighed and checked and is perfectly suitable is madness and completely unnecessary ��.

Once the engine is on I’ll get it weighed again
As someone who removes ropes and stuff to come in under the 3500kg "absolute max" limit I hear your pain. I've done exactly what you plan to do - weigh in "light ship" and carry the excess in the load bay. It works, it's legal - what's not to like....

...actually, now that I think about it - coming down Glenariff in the snow
Old 08 November 2018, 19:26   #25

Quote:
Thank you seaflyer.

Kerb weight of my vehicle is 1658kgs so the trailers gross can not exceed 829kgs without being braked, well within that [emoji106].

Have towed boats all over the country from Cornwall to Scotland and in between, never had a single issue in 20 years of towing / boating, not so much as a flat tyre.

Always people who know better so can’t always win, but I’ll stick to my tried and tested (legal) methods.

So far I’m only at 620kgs without an engine, chances are once the engine is fitted it MAY exceed trailers max gross (by a small margin) BUT until the engine is fitted and full rig weighed I can’t be 100% what the total weight will be without guessing.

Got 130kgs to play with, as mentioned I’m not concerned with carrying all the bits and pieces in the boat and adding weight as that’s not something I’ve ever done, if I stick to a 70 / 75 hp chances are I could keep it within the limit, but until fitted and weighed no one know [emoji16].
If the outboard is advertised at 130kg there is not a chance it will be 130kg (they normally use shortest shaft for weight if generic spec sheet) on the transom, you need to add prop, oil, power harness, gauges, loom, remotes etc (PD mentions a battery?)

If you are bothered about being over the limit It would be prudent to buy your engine very carefully.

This isn't about knowing better, it is just simple adding up that the trailer and boat with intended engine won't go.

If I knew the real weight of my boat I wouldn't have bought it so I'm trying to save you the pain of some of what I went through.

But it is your licence and boat......
Old 08 November 2018, 19:51   #26

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Thank you seaflyer.

Kerb weight of my vehicle is 1658kgs so the trailers gross can not exceed 829kgs without being braked,

Who gave you the info about 829kg unbraked?

I think you will find the maximum of any car in the UK is 750kg unbraked [emoji848]
Old 08 November 2018, 19:53   #27

How to value.

Quote:
If the outboard is advertised at 130kg there is not a chance it will be 130kg (they normally use shortest shaft for weight if generic spec sheet) on the transom, you need to add prop, oil, power harness, gauges, loom, remotes etc (PD mentions a battery?)

If you are bothered about being over the limit It would be prudent to buy your engine very carefully.

This isn't about knowing better, it is just simple adding up that the trailer and boat with intended engine won't go.

If I knew the real weight of my boat I wouldn't have bought it so I'm trying to save you the pain of some of what I went through.

But it is your licence and boat......

You are like a dog with a bone.

I’ve had it weighed, it is 620kgs, the “intended” engine is just one I’ve looked at, could go up or down, already said if it’s 1kg over I’ll upgrade the trailer AND buy you a pint.

20 years of experience with boats and towing, I’m no novice to this game, my question wasn’t about if my rig is suitable, it was about value of the trailer and rib minus the engine, if someone wanted to buy it without checking the basics for themselves then that’s up to them.

On a different note, just wondering if fitting this prop would affect engine weight by much !?
Maybe you could help me with this one Xk59D ?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8305.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	127620
Old 08 November 2018, 20:18   #28

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I did the maths on my zodiac 550 tour ( lightest of the 550's)
315kg hull
119kg Yam f 70
220kg heavy duty trailer
All well under our breaked trailer 750kg limit unfortunately after taking it to the local weigh ridge to get the legal road worthy documentation the weight turned out to be just under 900kg

Spare wheel, heavy duty battery, 100lt underfloor fuel, anchor and chain, safety gear all adds up apparently.

The same went for a little 4.5m boat I had a couple of years ago, loaded up pushed it over a ton, given it had a 45mm comercial hull.
Old 08 November 2018, 20:38   #29

Quote:
You are like a dog with a bone.

I’ve had it weighed, it is 620kgs, the “intended” engine is just one I’ve looked at, could go up or down, already said if it’s 1kg over I’ll upgrade the trailer AND buy you a pint.

20 years of experience with boats and towing, I’m no novice to this game, my question wasn’t about if my rig is suitable, it was about value of the trailer and rib minus the engine, if someone wanted to buy it without checking the basics for themselves then that’s up to them.

On a different note, just wondering if fitting this prop would affect engine weight by much !?
Maybe you could help me with this one Xk59D ?
Attachment 127620
Totally my bad, clearly you are a pro at boating and towing.

I'm glad you are not a novice, I was worried there that a novice asked us to price their stuff, thinks the boat is same weight as the maker claims a bare boat is and thinks 130kg advertised engine weight is the ready to go weight, totally novice stuff that but clearly that isn't your good self.

My apologies for doubting you.
Old 08 November 2018, 21:02   #30

How to value.

Quote:

My apologies for doubting you.

Apology accepted [emoji106].
Old 08 November 2018, 21:25   #31

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Fill the tubes and tyres with helium be fine[emoji16]
I used to tow a hard cruiser years ago it was 3.5t dry empty of gear I just kept a weighbridge ticket in the glovebox showing the weight in the hope mr plod wouldnt bother with the agro of weighing it after seeing the ticket.
If you can keep it on an unbraked trailer then its a bonus, braked trailers are a pain in the backside
Old 08 November 2018, 21:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Who gave you the info about 829kg unbraked?

I think you will find the maximum of any car in the UK is 750kg unbraked [emoji848]

Sorry, should have written that better.
Your question was about my cars towing capabilities not a question about towing regulations.
unbraked trailers - max. 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.
So I used the higher (half my cars kurb weight) to show that my car is capable of towing, which was what your question was originally.

Hope that explains it better.
Old 08 November 2018, 21:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Does your load include battery?

Sorry PD, your question got lost amongst the too and fro.

Yes that includes the battery which is located up front in the console, fixed in with quick charge leads attached so no need to remove every-time I charge.

Apart from the engine the only thing not weighed today was the steering wheel and a few cables.

Chances are (depending on engine) is that it will exceed 750kgs, which is why I said (more than once) that if it does I will upgrade to a more suitable trailer.

Thought that would have been enough to satisfy the naysayers, especially since I even offered to buy them a pint as a thank you, but you just can’t please some people.

Thanks PD [emoji106].
Old 08 November 2018, 22:07   #34

Gratitude has a funny way of showing from some people.
Old 08 November 2018, 23:01   #35

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
[QUOTE=Greatandsecret;786026]Sorry, should have written that better.
Your question was about my cars towing capabilities not a question about towing regulations.
unbraked trailers - max. 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.

Not sure kerb weight is a factor any more ,i nearly bought a 15 plate jeep wrangler weighed in at over 2 ton but unbraked towing max was 500kg
towing weights also take into account the extra towed weights effect on emissions ,to get a wrangler that would tow 750kg you had to buy an axle + model which then jumped from £235 to £400 road tax at the time
Old 09 November 2018, 03:45   #36

[QUOTE=Orwell boy;786029]
Quote:
Sorry, should have written that better.

Not sure kerb weight is a factor any more ,i nearly bought a 15 plate jeep wrangler weighed in at over 2 ton but unbraked towing max was 500kg

towing weights also take into account the extra towed weights effect on emissions ,to get a wrangler that would tow 750kg you had to buy an axle + model which then jumped from £235 to £400 road tax at the time

Kurb weight is still a current factor, but like most things it varies and is up to the driver to check the vehicle chassis plate, V5 and there is third but I forget what it is.

driving licence entitlement is an odd one, it is calculated on the potential gross weight not the actual weight.
if your licence entitles you to drive a trailer weighing 750kg gross that doesn’t apply if the gross weight of a trailer is 1500kg BUT the trailer only weighs 500kgs unladen for example. so in that case you can legally tow 750kgs with the loaded trailer but NOT 500kgs with the unladen trailer....��.
Old 09 November 2018, 09:49   #37
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
It works, it's legal - what's not to like....
Well if the OP's original question (remember that!) about value was about resale value then it probably is relevant as lazy fekkers like me will prefer to pay more for a boat that doesn't require unpacking and repacking every time. People want to put a boot full of stuff for holidays as well as the boating stuff. (That is probably the opposite at your end of things - where having a method of towing without an HGV is a "selling point").
Old 09 November 2018, 10:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Well if the OP's original question (remember that!) about value was about resale value then it probably is relevant as lazy fekkers like me will prefer to pay more for a boat that doesn't require unpacking and repacking every time. People want to put a boot full of stuff for holidays as well as the boating stuff. (That is probably the opposite at your end of things - where having a method of towing without an HGV is a "selling point").

Then if you are buying a boat EXPECTING the seller to have ensured the boat and trailer are well matched then that would be your fault for being a lazy fekker.

I fail to see the point ?
Old 09 November 2018, 10:23   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Then if you are buying a boat EXPECTING the seller to have ensured the boat and trailer are well matched then that would be your fault for being a lazy fekker.

I fail to see the point ?
Quite the opposite. You asked the value. If the buyer realises that to use your rig it will require a heap of faff every-time you narrow the pool of willing buyers.

The market value of your combination is less than the market value of a combination that is more convenient to use.
Old 09 November 2018, 11:07   #40

How to value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Quite the opposite. You asked the value. If the buyer realises that to use your rig it will require a heap of faff every-time you narrow the pool of willing buyers.

The market value of your combination is less than the market value of a combination that is more convenient to use.

If the buyer realises that, then it doesn’t devalue the boat (original question) it just reduces the amount of buyers as you rightly mention.

So again what’s your point ?

I’m the seller, I don’t mind how narrow my market is and I don’t get why it bothers you so much.

If you keep buying stuff without checking out first if it’s suits your needs then I’m afraid I can’t help that and all I can say is do your homework first.